it's the end of the world as i know it

Discussion for other music & artists

Moderator: Mike

it's the end of the world as i know it

Postby mr h atom » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:47 pm

and i don't feel all that fine...

one of the true great bands (imho), r.e.m., calls it a day.

this is sad...really liked the new album, it's been growing on me: i was thinking, tho, that either they'd really got thier groove back...or were gonna go out on top, at least artistically

i'm sure, somewhere down the line, like just about everybody else, they'll reunite a bit here and there...but, still...

and, i'd just got done watching a couple of their live concerts (off hulu), gearing up in case they toured w/collapse into now...only they only did that...
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Re: it's the end of the world as i know it

Postby bravefan » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:45 pm

Sorry to hear that. Enjoy the music they've made. Isn't that what we've done with the Beatles?
bravefan
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby chris » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:33 pm

one of only 3 or 4 bands from the 80's on (along with U2 and nirvana) that we may still be listening to 20 years from now.

although they lost arguably their most talented member in the late 90's, they continuied to make great music.

have to admit, i never forgave stipe for i-don't-care-ing the beatles by saying they were nothing but elevator music to him.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr h atom » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:39 pm

stipe was/is irksome & annoying: but the music they made overcame his ego more often than not: esp up to and including NAIHF; up to that moment, not a single album, imho, was anything less than very danged great...

after NA...hmmm, well...spotty, but still a least good

they were not as good w/o bill berry but they were at least still more interesting than most of their contemporaries and most that came after

for my $, they'd only really begun to gel back as a unit, after berry left, w/the last 3 albums...each of which got minutely better

at the same time, i never thought they got to the point where they actually sucked

of the 3...the only one i expect to really do something significant might be peter buck...can't see stipes ego not consuming him..but i really hope i'm wrong

mills might surprise...one never knows about those bassist's' :wink:
mr h atom

Postby Mark Rink » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:05 am

One of the greatest bands !! Thanks for all the good memories guys :cheers
Mark Rink
Silver member
Silver member

Postby mr h atom » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:24 pm

totally agree, mark

have either of you (or anyone perusing about) listened to Hindu Love Gods..the album they did with warren zevon...really good, fun stuff
mr h atom

Postby james1985 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:31 am

One of the all-time greats, no doubt
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby maccastheman » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:12 pm

Michael Stipe did try to back-track on his infamous Beatles comment in recent years - so I give him credit for that. I think it was after he and Sean Lennon became friends. Peter Buck has always been a huge fan of Ram, helping to bolster the cult status of that album. (Speaking of which I'm ready for the deluxe edition - as well as Venus and Mars and Tug of War)

I'm just glad they gave us the music they did. I agree their post-Bill Berry period was slightly underrated. There were some great over-looked gems in that era. (Like the Beach Boys tribute "At My Most Beautiful") It is interesting how their career neatly breaks down into 3 different eras - the early college rock/cult hero band, the mega-star band from Out of Time through Monster and the vastly underrated New Adventures in Hi-Fi album, then the post-Bill Berry era with a lot of experimentation and extreme highs and lows. They all offere their own rewards. (Some more than others) It was probably a good call to end after Collapse Into Now. Who knows? maybe there will be a reunion in a few years with Bill Berry for all the younger fans that never got a chance to see them.
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Girl4Beats » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:07 pm

No it isn't. The end of the world as all know it will be when the last two surviving members of the Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World leave this earthly plane. I was not a fan of REM although I know many who are/were.
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:59 pm

:? ...you make it sound as if you haven't, musically, left the 1960's...but that's o.k.: you know alot about torture and i'm not gonna argue with a woman who knows what to do with a blazing hot knife !

the title of the post, btw, is a wee bit of a reference to one of r.e.m.'s best and most famous songs...not an indication of whether or not doom is actually now here and the mayans got that wrong, too

for many music fans...it's always kinda sad when any truly creative, artistic entity, in one way or another, calls it a day...
one less bit of great music no longer being made...

i don't know about anyone else...but as good as the beatles were...life would be petty boring without all the great music made by others
mr h atom

Next

Return to Music - Other Artists