Steely Dan

Discussion for other music & artists

Moderator: Mike

Steely Dan

Postby Chris Speers » Sat Dec 07, 2002 12:31 am

Another outstanding 70's band. Perfectionists to a fault. Master craftsman. Intelligent and ironic lyrics - these guys were like the greatest at utilizing different session man to give their songs greatness, texture, and most importantly complexity.

Aja, Royal Scam, Pretzel Logic, Katy Lied all back to back album and all brilliant in their own way. I wasn't completely sold on them with their latest stuff but the genius and the craft was still there.

They lose points for not touring extensively - but in the 70's - they were very few artist who could dominate or bring home the hooks as good as Steely Dan.

I'd put them right up there with Fleetwood Mac and The Eagles for greatness and pop brilliance.
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Steve-o » Sat Dec 07, 2002 1:43 am

God..that's 2 in a row. Saw them in 1974 on the Pretzel Logic tour.....beach boys, complete with carl in a Lieasure suit jumper, opened for them (played "Trader", by the way and it was awesome..). The guy in SD who sang Dirty Work live was amazing...I think he was one of the horn guys. Sadly, they never came back around. Fagan and Becker were a GREAT team.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Chris Speers » Sat Dec 07, 2002 1:52 am

Was that Royce Jones - He was a black dude who sang live with the boys - Fagin was actually too scared to sing live!! Believe it or not.

I think that '74 tour had Skunk Baxter and Michael MCDonald too. Michael McDonald sang on PRetzel logic live in 1974. He sang the part "I stepped out on the platform and the man gave me the news...he said he must be joking son - where did you get the shoes....."

I have boots of the tour and it was phenomenal. They show some of that tour on "Midnight Special" re-runs on VH1!
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Steve-o » Sat Dec 07, 2002 11:59 am

The guy had a huge voice. The skunk was there in Columbus that night, but not McDonald. Fagan handled most of the vocal chores. It was a GREAT show, and the Beach Boys played a very long opening set. That concert was nearly 3.5 hours long. I remember because I didnt want to miss anything and i was swimming in 3.2 Stroh's.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby maccastheman » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:43 pm

I'm really anxious to hear Donald Fagen's new solo album, Morph the Cat. I liked the 2000 Steely Dan comeback album. (Two Against Nature) I don't think I liked it as much as Fagen's two previous solo albums, however. (The Nightfly and Kamakiriad) I think it had something to do with songwriting - it seemed a little too forced on Two Against Nature. (Trying too hard to sound ironic, etc.)

Since all of Fagen's solo albums are concept albums (Including the upcoming one), they seem to flow better than the two recent Steely Dan comeback records. I really liked all of Steely Dan's '70s albums, however. They all flowed quite nicely. (Especially Aja)

Anyway, I have high hopes for Morph the Cat.
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Berkeleyan » Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:28 am

I'm looking forward to that upcoming release, too !

Love those Fagen and Becker guys ! All their 70's albums are excellent,
and I think AJA is their very best. My fave travck of theirs is not from AJA, though: Rikky Don't Lose That Number - how brilliant !

One thing though, I did not like their comeback album Two Against Nature.
The Love You Take is Equal to the Love You Make
Berkeleyan
Gold member :)

Postby maccastheman » Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:13 pm

Berkeleyan wrote:

I agree with you to a certain extent on that. Although I found it pleasant to listen to at the time, I don't think it holds up as well as Fagen's solo albums. That's why I have high hopes for Morph. I hope it holds up better than Two Against Nature and Everything Must Go.
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:38 pm

Can't Buy a Thrill is my favorite from these guys
I go back so far... I'm in front of me!
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Berkeleyan » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:23 am

maccastheman wrote:
Berkeleyan wrote:

I agree with you to a certain extent on that. Although I found it pleasant to listen to at the time, I don't think it holds up as well as Fagen's solo albums. That's why I have high hopes for Morph. I hope it holds up better than Two Against Nature and Everything Must Go.

Let's keep our fingers crossed. Do you know when Morph the Cat is supposed to come out ?
The Love You Take is Equal to the Love You Make
Berkeleyan

Postby theDingle » Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:08 pm

I loved that Laughing Pines song off Kamikiriad, a bit of the good ol' Steely Dan to me. I always thought I Got The News was just a great great sleeper off Aja. 8)
not shmingking of gin
theDingle

Next

Return to Music - Other Artists