The Kinks

Discussion for other music & artists

Moderator: Mike

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru2 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:17 pm

The Kinks are great!
I've been listening to the song "Do it Again" alot lately.
Sundays on the phone to monday....Tuesdays on the phone to me.
Genuine_Indian_Guru2

Postby maccastheman » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:57 pm

Genuine_Indian_Guru wrote:The Kinks are great!
I've been listening to the song "Do it Again" alot lately.

I like that one a lot. Some of their later day recordings were great - it's amazing they had the longetivity they had - much longer than say, the Who. (Even though they are supposedly about to release a new album) I guess Phobia was the last album they released of original material. (I think that came out in the early '90s)

I really liked their live album To The Bone. (Also recorded in the '90s) They still sounded sharp into the '90s. 8) It is rather sad about Dave's stroke. :(
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Paperback Writer » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:59 am

Just saw Ray Davies perform for almost 2 hours - new solo stuff - classic Kinks songs, spanning over 40 years - great!

Ray is in great health again, doing scizzor kick endings to some of the Kinks rockers. He combined his show to blend acoustic story-telling with blistering Kinks rock from the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's. He spoke about brother Dave and the other Kinks. He was backed by a fine band of musicians. He played over 75% of his new solo album, "Other Peoples Lives." I enjoyed the live renditions considerably more than the album, which is excellent.

Highlights - many - but All Day and All of the Night, I'm Not Like Anybody Else, Till the End of the Day, Low Budget, Sunny Afternoon and Apeman stood above the others.

Talk about someone to collaberate with Macca on writing......this guy is the all time under-rated composer.....Ray is a genious.
"Step on the gas and wipe that tear away,
One sweet dream came true today!"
Paperback Writer
Silver member
Silver member

Postby chris » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:39 pm

the band the kinks...are absolutely the most under-rated bands of the entire rock era. everyone talks about the beatles and the stones when it comes to the british invasion. then the who usually gets mentioned in the second sentence...but the kinks deserve so much more recognition than they get. i think...they are worthy of being mentioned in the same sentence as all of the above three bands.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby theDingle » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:07 am

I seem to remember reading somewhere, that of all the UK bands during the 60s, the Kinks were the one that most worried the Beatles. :shock:
not shmingking of gin
theDingle
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:17 am

That's very possible Dingo....They were Unquestionably great.

I personally don't think that The Beatles were worried about anything like that...maybe Brian.
I go back so far... I'm in front of me!
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

Postby maccastheman » Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:43 pm

Paperback Writer wrote:Just saw Ray Davies perform for almost 2 hours - new solo stuff - classic Kinks songs, spanning over 40 years - great!

Ray is in great health again, doing scizzor kick endings to some of the Kinks rockers. He combined his show to blend acoustic story-telling with blistering Kinks rock from the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's. He spoke about brother Dave and the other Kinks. He was backed by a fine band of musicians. He played over 75% of his new solo album, "Other Peoples Lives." I enjoyed the live renditions considerably more than the album, which is excellent.

Highlights - many - but All Day and All of the Night, I'm Not Like Anybody Else, Till the End of the Day, Low Budget, Sunny Afternoon and Apeman stood above the others.

Talk about someone to collaberate with Macca on writing......this guy is the all time under-rated composer.....Ray is a genious.

PW, thanks for the review. I had a very, very tough choice to make the night Ray Davies was here in Dallas. Paul Simon was playing here the same night. My roomate was much more into seeing Paul Simon than Ray Davies, so we went to that show instead. Simon was great. (as always) I really enjoyed hearing more of the new songs from Surprise but it would have been nice to have seen Ray as well. I do like the new album a lot. Especially "The Morning After." Maybe next time...
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby larro9 » Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:48 pm

God bless the Kinks..they are great !!!
I just saw ray davies in san francisco a few weeks ago and it was a wonderful show.
I have a lot of live stuff from the mid 70's and it is a trip to go back and listen...they are timeless and ray is a genius
larro9
Supporter
Supporter

Previous

Return to Music - Other Artists