The Kinks

Discussion for other music & artists

Moderator: Mike

The Kinks

Postby Liam OSM » Sun Dec 01, 2002 12:06 pm

Anyone else here like these guys? Another 60s act I'm rather fond of - all I have is a GH compilation (actually it's my mother's, but what's the difference?) - but what songs! "Sunny Afternoon", "Waterloo Sunset", "Dead End Street", "Days", "Set Me Free" . . . quality stuff!
Liam OSM
Gold member :)

Postby megs » Sun Dec 01, 2002 6:56 pm

i realy only know a few of there songs but what i heard on my radio station is good[:I]
megs
Supporter
Supporter

Postby maccastheman » Mon Dec 02, 2002 6:46 pm

I love the Kinks. VERY British. (But I like that) [;)] I love the 2 CD set they released in the U.K. (I think it's called "Ultimate Collection") I had to buy it as an import, because that collection wasn't released here in the U.S.

I like all of their stuff from the '60s to the '80s. "Come Dancing" is such a great song. (As is "Don't Forget to Dance") I also like "Destroyer," which is basically a re-write of "All Day and All of the Night."

As for the '60s stuff, it's all killer. ("You Really Got Me," "Sunny Afternoon," "Tired of Waiting," "Stop Your Sobbing," "A Well Respected Man," "Dedicated Follower of Fashion," etc. etc.)

Ray Davies is a genius!
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby maccastheman » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:33 pm

Has anybody heard anything from Ray Davies first solo album? (Other People's Lives) It was just released in the US today and I'm tempted to get it.
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby theDingle » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:00 pm

I'd like to hear a sampling before I buy mtm. I'm still mostly an early Kinks kind of fan, just was never that hep on the later stuff, and I did try to get into it---I mean those Davies bros were so good, it could be that they'll still come up with something I'll like one o' these days.

Rusty Anderson's Coming Down To Earth song somehow reminds me a lot of the Kinks.
not shmingking of gin
theDingle

Postby Paperback Writer » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:28 am

Their MUSWELL HILLBILLIES - one of the most under-rated albums of all-time!!!! Predicted life in this century, back in 1969 , chilling, fun, organic and crunchy.
"Step on the gas and wipe that tear away,
One sweet dream came true today!"
Paperback Writer
Silver member
Silver member

Postby maccastheman » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:08 am

Paperback Writer wrote:Their MUSWELL HILLBILLIES - one of the most under-rated albums of all-time!!!! Predicted life in this century, back in 1969 , chilling, fun, organic and crunchy.

Oh yes, completely agree! I did go by the Virgin Megastore and listen to a little bit of the new album tonight, and I must say I was pretty impressed. It reminds me more of his storytelling songs of the late '60s/early '70s as opposed to his power chord songs of the mid '60s/ early '80s. I'm sure I will get it eventually...
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby ddr » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:27 am

Oh Demon Alcohol!

Love the Kinks! I was just reading an article about Ray Davies in Entertainment Weekly. Wasn't aware he had been shot!

I have always thought they never got the recognition they deserved.

Favorites include Waterloo Sunset, Dedicated follower of Fashion, Celluloid Heroes, Father Christmas, Low Budget

ddr
ddr

Postby theDingle » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:04 am

ddr, part of the reason they were denied recognition was due to their demands--fair and reasonable demands---during the 60s when they first toured here in the US. They were adamant about gaining a fairer share of the gate receipts.

This incensed US promoters that a little ol' upstart punk UK rock band would dare expect some equity for their labors, so the Kinks were blackballed from touring in the US, greedy promoters colluded to not book them for the rest of the 60s. :x

Dave Davies has stated that no touring UK band during the British Invasion ever made any real money, including the Beatles, but the Kinks weren't going to be kicked around. It still ended up costing them, but I think that was pretty ballsy, lol. Long Live The Kinks! :twisted:
not shmingking of gin
theDingle

Postby EddieV » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:40 am

Kinks were a great band. I´m glad that I got to see them live. MAde lots of good albums.
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Next

Return to Music - Other Artists