Bands you didn´t think you liked??

Discussion for other music & artists

Moderator: Mike

Bands you didn´t think you liked??

Postby EddieV » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:14 am

Well I never thought that I would like a band like Grateful Dead. Well they are brilliant!! Many years I did not take the time to listen to their music.

Have you had similar experiences with bands??
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Bands you didn´t think you liked??

Postby bonovox66 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:07 am

This has happened to me more than once.

Simon & Garfunkel
Bee Gees
The Rolling Stones (yes I use to think they were over rated)
Bruce Spingsteen (as a kid I was only exposed to his popular music and didn't care for it. it wasn't til much later I heard his Nebraska album and fell in love)
... just to name a few

On the flip side.. I use to like The Doors, now I cringe everytime I hear one of their songs.
bonovox66
Supporter
Supporter

Postby markfeber@yahoo.com » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:08 pm

yeah eddie in 1975 i had a chance to go see the dead but didnt think it was for me. finally went in 1990 and it changed my life. ended up going to 45 shows before jerry died in 95. and yeah i used to kinda like the doors too but i too cringe now when i hear them. i also never liked dylan or bruce until i saw them
markfeber@yahoo.com
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby EddieV » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:16 pm

Well I wished that I could see Grateful Dead in concert. I´ve heard so much about it!!
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby markfeber@yahoo.com » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:41 pm

without garcia it isnt even close to being the same now. but yeah it was quite the scene. wish you could have experienced it eddie. i was so skeptical my first time but 5 minutes in i knew i was seeing something special, unlike anything i had seen. also hated the stones in the 60s cause i felt they were kinda the anti beatles but i sure dont feel that way now. in fact when some say the stones are the greatest band ever i may disagree but they are the only band i can see other than the fabs taking that crown. but as a child of the 60s we had sooo much great music!
markfeber@yahoo.com
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby chris » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:28 pm

markfeber@yahoo.com wrote:in fact when some say the stones are the greatest band ever i may disagree but they are the only band i can see other than the fabs taking that crown.

i agree 100%

i used to be completely indifferent about green day. until american idiot was released. i still think that is the best rock release in the last 10 years. and their new punk opera is nearly as good. with all respect to U2, right now i'd rank green day up there with any band on the planet.

speaking of...U2 has sooo many great songs. and they have been doing it, and doing it well for so long, how can i not take notice? well, i didn't take notice until well into the 90's.

it took way too long for me to give springsteen his kudos too.

i didn't like the smashing pumpkins, sadly, till after they broke up. now i find their music brilliant. they performed over and over in my city. in small venues. and not once did i take advantage.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby bonovox66 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:46 pm

Chris
The Pumpkins were a great band once upon a time. I did get the chance to see them and they were meh live. Sadly for me its the reverse, I use to rank them up there as one of my favorites, now they probably wouldn't even crack the top 50. Sorry, Billy but its time to hang it up.

As for U2, well I got into them about the same time as you. It was their 90's work that caught my attention.In particular the video for Even Better Than the Real Thing. It was a couple Beatle look-a-likes dressed up in Sgt Peper outfits in that video that made me stop and listen to the rest of the song. Weird how one thing leads to another. I never paid them any mind in the 80's though.

Although I don't really like Green Day, I could see your statement about them being one of the biggest bands around now. With the exception of Coldplay, which I won't even go into my dislike for them...

One band I use to think I'd never like, Genesis. I grew up with Phil Collins version, it wasn't until sometime in the 90's I discovered the Peter Gabriel Genesis. Now I'd rank them up there as one of my favorite bands.
bonovox66
Supporter
Supporter

Postby chris » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:35 pm

bonovox66 wrote:Chris
The Pumpkins were a great band once upon a time. I did get the chance to see them and they were meh live. Sadly for me its the reverse, I use to rank them up there as one of my favorites, now they probably wouldn't even crack the top 50. Sorry, Billy but its time to hang it up.

for what it's worth, i conveniently acknowledged nothing after 2000 as the pumpkins work. various lineup changes left the band a shell of its former self. but you are right, even before 2000, their output was getting weaker and weaker.

and genesis, while most commercially successful with phil at the mike, was really at their theatrical best with peter up in front. although, in a weird way, when PG first left the band, phil sure did sort of sound like him, didn't he?

i admire your taste in music, kind sir. ever hear of the beatles?
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby bonovox66 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:57 am

chris wrote:
bonovox66 wrote:Chris

i admire your taste in music, kind sir. ever hear of the beatles?

Beatles? Are they a small band.. never heard of them :lol:
bonovox66
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr h atom » Tue May 29, 2012 12:41 am

depeche mode...
couldn't stand back-in-the-day...

now, i find them endlessly fascinating
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Next

Return to Music - Other Artists