hbo's john from cincinnati

What new & old movies do you like? Room for TV talk as well.

Moderator: Mike

hbo's john from cincinnati

Postby chris » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:19 pm

so the first season of the highly acclaimed hbo series john from cincinnati just ended. for anyone who watched another hbo series, deadwood...it was strikingly familiar. incredibly witty (but profane) dialogue. strong storytelling. and it encouraged a feeling that you just shouldn't...nay, couldn't miss an episode.

it featured a family in industrial beach (southern california), who was a surfing dynasty (allegedly based on a true story). but strange things began to happen to them. all of them. then they were visited by a strange man who (i think) was there to help them.

this is what i know about this hbo series. the reason for this thread is a simple one. i would like to know if someone...anyone, can tell me just what in the world this was about? this show had more wtf moments than perhaps any other i have ever seen. if there is only one person here that could give me a thumbnail sketch of a plot...please? tell me where this was headed. tell me what happened.

and if i needed any more televised a$$ pain regarding my seldom watched boob tube, i discovered, just today, that the fine forces that be at hbo have cancelled the acclaimed john from cincinnati. i'm pleading with you. tell me what this was about.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Re: hbo's john from cincinnati

Postby mommasturn » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:26 pm

Was john's father god? Was john representative of Jesus? He was stabbed several times and miraculosly healed iin a matter of minutes. And the kid who should have been dead after the surfing accident..... Again healed immeadiately?

I don't think I saw all episodes, but it was a cookey show for sure, Oh well, now we can concentrate on Bill Maher! Happy August 24th on HBO
mommasturn

Postby Mike » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:56 am

Believe it or not, I did see all the episodes, strange indeed. A lot of actors from Deadwood. With the various acts that seem to be like miracles, one would think this is either the preparation of the 2nd coming "the words of my father" or is some alien plot. Don't know if we'll ever know. The list of characters around this family have all come to believe something big is going to happen and this family is the catalyst of it all. Whomever is controlling this, took a very dysfunctional family and some acquaintances some of who are normal and abnormal people and all their faults, and got them to believe in this "John" that can make things and people appear out of nowhere, and something good is coming out of it, and "maybe not all the towel heads will be erraticated". The message is being sent via the internet and a surfing company called Stinkweed. It is a very adult series as was Deadwood, keep the kids out of the room.

"Mitch is back in the game", hmmm, ok, he unexpectedly floats off the ground, what's with that.

What is so interesting is how little the plot moves forward, really but it's because of that you want them to get to the freakin point of it all :)
Mike
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby chris » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:32 pm

thanks for responding. it was a lot like deadwood. and i recall that it took me nearly a season of deadwood to figure out exactly what was going on. there was this odd shakespearian dialogue that both shows incorporated...

it had to have religeous consequences. i refuse to believe a show about aliens coming down to help would have attracted me as long as it did. it seems everyone john got in contact with...he helped, saved...i dunno.

i was online one day and googled john from cincinnati, and someone claimed to live in imperial beach, and also laid claim to knowing this family. he (google claimer) said this was a tragic, and truly evil family. obviously you cannot believe everything you read on the internet...but it did make me wonder where it was going.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Return to Movies & TV