Heavy Metal

What new & old movies do you like? Room for TV talk as well.

Moderator: Mike

Heavy Metal

Postby UsagiAndMamoru » Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:27 pm

Don't let the title of the film fool you. It's NOT about Heavy Metal Music. It's an animated film based on stories from a Sci-Fi magazine of the same name. It features the voices of alot of well-known actors (eg John Candy, Eugene Levy, Harold Ramis, others) and some not-so-well-known (eg Susan "Sailor Jupiter" Roman, Joe Flaherty, others), but it's truly a piece of work! Especially for 1981! Some of the stories are kind of silly though, like that one about that nerdy guy who gets sent to another planet and is transformed into this big, mausceline bald guy (but it's actually one of the film's best sequences). I also like the one about the crew of the World War II fighter plane getting killed, and returning as like zombies or something, and that one about the two coke-headed aliens! The opening sequence alone with that car descending towards earth is amazing! The soundtrack is also a big highlight here. I mean how often does an animated feature with songs by Black Sabbath, Blue Oyster Cult, Cheap Trick, Devo, Donald Fagen, Don Felder, Grand Funk Railroad, Sammy Hagar, Journey, Nazareth, Stevie Nicks, Riggs, and Trust come along? Not often. There's a load of great tunes here! I really like this movie alot! I only have it on PSP at the moment though. Definately check it out if you get the oppurtunity, but be sure to AVOID the crap-tastic Heavy Metal 2000.
UsagiAndMamoru

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru » Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:37 pm

"Cult Classic"

actually pretty decent...I can dig it.
I go back so far... I'm in front of me!
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

Postby maccastheman » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:15 pm

I haven't seen this in about 10 years. I might have to check it out again. The only reason I watched it, btw, was because of the Donald Fagen song. :wink:
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby ANGRY » Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:45 am

one of my favorites from back ,the ( i was in line on opening night)...it doesn't hold so well, rather creaky in its age...the animation is a little too amatuerish, compared to now, but the humor is what really sinks it...far more juvenile than i remember...it's still a very interesting movie..not a classic, for me, but darned close !
i had friends who were HUGE fans of the mag, they thoroughly enjoyed it, said it carried the spirit of it very well.

"STERN !!!'
ANGRY
Silver member
Silver member

Return to Movies & TV