Thank You For Smoking

What new & old movies do you like? Room for TV talk as well.

Moderator: Mike

Thank You For Smoking

Postby maccastheman » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 pm

I saw a free preview of this movie last night, and I couldn't stop laughing. The funniest, most politically incorrect movie I've seen in a long, long time. There was even a bit in there about the baby seal thing. There's an artsy movie theater not far from my apartment, and sometimes they host free previews of films just to get everybody's reaction afterwards. (For the press, publicity, etc.) I was lucky to get a free pass to see this one. I seriously haven't laughed this hard at a movie in a long, long time. If you haven't seen the previews, it's a movie about a tobacco lobby spokesman who keeps defending cigarettes in the late '80s/early '90s. (Right when all of the lawsuits were being filed in America)

This guy meets with two other lobbiests each week at a bar just to shoot the bull, etc. One of them is an NRA-type spokesman, and the other is a lobbiest for the alcohol industry. They call themselves the MOD squad - Merchants of Death.

They talk about about defending the undefensable - ie people who club baby seals, etc. (The NRA guy condemns the practice BTW, so at least somebody shows a little heart. :wink: )

Anyway, it's good stuff. Highly recommended. (If you like irreverant humor)
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Highamster » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:35 am

I want to see this, I saw the trailer a while back and looks great. I've read bits of the book aswell. But yet for some reason the publishers have decided to be utter twunts and not show it in England and their's no pirate copys floating around the net. I just hope it's showing somewhere in Florida in July when I go but it doubt it will. :(
Highamster
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby chris » Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:35 pm

I have not seen it yet, however it is getting glowing reviews. So, it might just be a must see.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Return to Movies & TV