OldBoy

What new & old movies do you like? Room for TV talk as well.

Moderator: Mike

OldBoy

Postby Highamster » Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:39 am

I copied and pasted this from a post I made on another forum several months. I did change some bits here and their. Thought some people here might like to see or provide a good recomendation for people looking for a new film to watch.

#1: Oldboy

Oldboy is a Japanese movie directed by Park Chan-Wook which was released in 2003. Based of the manga of the same name, (which I have been unable to find, if anyone knows anything about it please tell me). The story is pretty much about revenge and has, in my my opinion, one of the greatest twists in film history as far as I'm concerned and a perfect ‘What the hell?’ ending. It really isn’t for the moral surpremisists because of what it's all about.

The movie has won the ‘Grand Prix’ at the 2004 Cannes Film Festival and has been highly praised by many, inlcuding Quentin Tarantino. Unfortuantly it is being remade by in America which I doubt will do the story justice like a lot of other Japanese to American remakes(more info here).

As for the plot, the film begins in the year 1988 where Oh Dae-Su, the main character in the film, is having a flashback and telling his story to someone. It shows you Oh Dae-Su in a police station drunk, before a friend eventually bails him out before being kidnapped. The flashback jumps forward by a couple of months to him imprisoned in a room with his only communication to the outside world being a TV. During his 15-year imprisonment his wife is murdered and ‘evidence’ of Oh Dae Su having been there at the time of killing is found. These scenes go on for about 15-20minutes before it reaches 2003, at which point he stands up and leaves, ignoring the other guy who wants to tell him his story. The movie then begins at this point were he starts his search to find out who imprisoned him and why. He meets a girl called Mi-do whom he forms a sexual relationship with.

I really can’t say anymore of the film without giving away big pieces of the plot, So I’ll finish the first ‘Featured Whatever’ with a high recommendation to go buy, rent or download this movie. You won’t regret it.

Some screen caps for those interested:

The first thing you see in the movie.

Oh Dae-Su being gassed and on the verge of insanity.

Oh Dae-Su eats a live Octopus.

A depressed Mi-Do sees an Ant on the train.
Highamster
Bronze member
Bronze member

Return to Movies & TV