2006 Oscar Report

What new & old movies do you like? Room for TV talk as well.

Moderator: Mike

2006 Oscar Report

Postby maccastheman » Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:44 pm

It will be interesting to see John Stewart host this evening. I love him on the Daily Show, but you never know how these first-timers are going to do. (Does David Letterman's night bring back any memories? :wink: :? ) I love Letterman, but it took him a while to bounce back from that one.

My only hope is that Reese Witherspoon wins for her role in Walk the Line. Brilliant performance.

Last year wasn't the greatest year for films IMHO. I did like Broken Flowers (but not as much as Lost in Translation). Walk the Line was great.
Brokeback Mountain was good, but even I think it's getting way too much attention. Enough is enough already.

It's interesting that Hollywood can celebrate a film about a gay love story, but so few actors in Hollywood are either gay or out of the closet.
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby 2 of 3 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:51 pm

"but so few actors in Hollywood are either gay or out of the closet."

Really? What about Tom Cruise? :wink:

I can honestly say, I haven't seen any of the movies this year, and will only be watching to see the gowns. :lol:
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby maccastheman » Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:53 pm

2 of 3 wrote:"but so few actors in Hollywood are either gay or out of the closet."

Really? What about Tom Cruise? :wink:

I can honestly say, I haven't seen any of the movies this year, and will only be watching to see the gowns. :lol:

lol. Yeah, I think I've only seen about 3 of the films with nominations this year. I want to see that Judy Dench movie, but I haven't found the time.
It's sort of like watching the Superbowl - you just watch it to watch it. :roll:
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby theDingle » Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:54 pm

I might watch. It may be Stewart's first shot, but he strikes me as confident enough, the dude is a quick wit on his feet with a unique sense of humor--I bank that he'll sail right through it.

Yeah, I want to see Walk The Line garner a lion's share. :wink:
not shmingking of gin
theDingle
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby maccastheman » Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:57 pm

I just hope Brokeback doesn't sweep everything. I mean, it's worthy of maybe one or two, but it's not the greatest thing ever.

In fact, my favorite film of them all was Walk the Line. It would be cool to see that movie win all of its catagories. 8)
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby chris » Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:03 pm

The only nominated film I saw was Crash. It is truly a remarkable film. For those of you who haven't seen it, I urge you to rent it now. About half way through the film I knew I was watching something special. It did not disappoint.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby maccastheman » Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:04 pm

It will be interesting to see if Johnathan Demme gets nominated for Heart of Gold next year. (Best Documentary) It's getting incredible reviews. I can't wait for it to come out on DVD. I'm tempted to see it at the theater again. It just looked like the ultimate Neil Young gig - he even said he didn't know if he was going to tour behind Prairie Wind because he felt he'd already said all he had to say about those songs during those two performances - he said he didn't think he could better them.
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby maccastheman » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:41 pm

Well, Dolly's performance was pretty cool. 8) She seemed to liven up the stuffy atmosphere there.

I liked the opening montage - it kind of reminded me of the "Free as a Bird" video. (But not near as well produced)

John Stewart has been alright so far - nothing spectacular.
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby maccastheman » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:06 am

Yes! There is justice in this world. Congrats to Reese for winning an Oscar for her incredible performance as June Carter Cash. Well deserved. Great speech. The highlight of the Oscars as far as I'm concerned. :)
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby 2 of 3 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:06 am

Someone congratulate me.....I haven't watched one second of the show yet, and it feels....well......I'M ON TOP OF THE WORLD!! :roll: sorry. :?
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Next

Return to Movies & TV