Movie of the Moment

What new & old movies do you like? Room for TV talk as well.

Moderator: Mike

Re: Movie of the Moment

Postby linclink » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:09 am

markfeber@yahoo.com wrote:i just saw avatar and i gotta say there were moments where my eyes LITERALLY bugged right outa my head!! sure its obvious cameron is a liberal but wow what a flick. :-BD

Yeah that one blew me away as well Mark. I'm call myself an "Evolutionary Revolutionary", but would still be, technically, an anarchist, albeit a deeply Spiritual one...so I loved the anti-imperialist, anti-war, pro-environmental/green slant, but the real payoff for me was the Spiritual component which touched on lots of South American Shamanism & the whole notion of the Gaian Overmind....Beautiful. And it Psychedelically stunning visually too...a great experience on every level...well deserving of all the rave reviews it's getting!!
Om Namah Shivaya !!!!
linclink
Silver member
Silver member

Location: Canandaigua, New York, USA, Earth, Cosmos of Light & Love

Postby mr h atom » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:31 am

3-d...helaciuosly better than i could have ever even begun to have hoped for

liberal slant: what ?!

d. eisenhower(r): beware the military-industrial complex...
t. roosevelt(r)..save our national treasures
j. christ/god...do unto others as you would have them do unto you

these are just as easily the foundations for what is presented....as the ol' richmon-gordman guy used to yelp: it's the same thing!
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby bonovox66 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:20 am

I saw Avatar a couple weeks ago and thought it was really good, just not as great of a movie as everyone said. Don't get me wrong I REALLY liked it, just didn't think it was the best movie ever. And seeing it in 3d is a must!

Did anyone see Sherlock Holmes? I was rather impressed with it. Went in not expecting much and came out very pleased.

On a side note, I just rented Whale Dreamers last night. I didn't know it was produced by Julian Lennon?
bonovox66
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr h atom » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:28 am

saw 'the wolfman' tonight...

thru the years this ones been prepping, i had the single highest hopes for it...as i read what then director mayk romanek had in mind; what his plan was...i began to get more than a little jazzed that a real werewolf movie...possibly one that might rival 'an american werewolf in london' ( the gold standard,as far as i'm concernd) might be in the making...

then, just weeks before production, romanek was gone, soon replaced by joe johnston...'honey i shrunk the kids'..!?! 'jurrasic park 3'...!!!?!!

...and then, even in this internet-soaked age...the wall of silence fell...and no one knew what was going on: just that it was...

but...i held out hope...i thought that just maybe , a beautiful, gigantic lycanthrope would be pulled out of a dark and gothic hat...

no such luck: johnston proceeded to toss out alot of what make-up artist rick baker & romanek collaborated with intimately on...and replaced an awful lot of real, prostetic screen time with CGI...

and...it is not terrible CGI...it's not 'van helsing' or 'league of suppositry gentleman' bad...

but it is, like, say, i am legend' (great book...still not done right) annoyingly...well...CGI

this, and it is clear johnston has no ability to direct actors for sublty of emotion, and this is a werewolf story that cries out for an emotive touch (hopknis is virtually wasted here)

and, the studio hired hands, brought in by to rework what the pinstrpied, dunderheads suddenly percieved as grievious script problems, managed to churn out a dull, aimless, head scratching overly-convoluted bit of hollywood anti-climacticism
(query: why greenlight a script..any script...and then endlessly rewrite it...especially if you are nothing more than a pinstriped executive..NOT a film-maker...just hand over the cash, and let the artists make the friggin films, already...pinstriped suit types are ruining every industry left in the world, and why..to justify thier highly inflated paychecks, that is why...
(ok..off the soapbox)
...so, you end up with what we have here..an extremely mildly entertaining, but, in the end, forgettable flick, where the greatest thing to come out of will, for any reall fan of good/great werewolf movies will be ...the fantasy of what might have been...

close...but not even a cheap, hav-a-tampa cigarillo

let ol' mr a...i mean, mr h save a ten spot or two...wait for video, friends

or, better yet...rewatch 'an american werewolf.." or, even..'the howling'...or the chaney original...or, better yet...the oliver reed, 'curse of the werewolf'..or 'ginger snaps'
mr h atom

Postby mr h atom » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:06 pm

alice in wonderland...
mixed feelings, that one...
really good film, but not....carrollian (?!?) enough for me...
should've had stephen fry do a rewrite, just to nudge it up a bit...
also...the whole thing was a bit tame for what i expect from burton/depp...but, good.

rank it below edward s., sleepy hollow and sweeney...better than ed wood, mars attacks
mr h atom

Postby Mark Rink » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:47 pm

waiting for the mini seris on HBO "The Pacific" looks fuc*ing great ^:)^
Mark Rink
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Mark Rink » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:48 pm

mr h atom wrote:alice in wonderland...
also...the whole thing was a bit tame for what i expect from burton/depp...but, good.

rank it below edward s., sleepy hollow and sweeney...better than ed wood, mars attacks

:shock: OK
Mark Rink
Silver member
Silver member

Postby bonovox66 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:33 pm

mr h atom wrote:alice in wonderland...

Agreed for the most part. Although seeing it in 3D was probably the only reason I even halfway liked it. As far as Burton films I'd rank it below his Planet of the Apes remake, everything else he has done has been better. Then again I've been really disappointed in Burton since Sleepy Hollow (except for Big Fish). Burton needs to stop with the remakes and go back to making quirky original movies.

And why the hatin' on Ed Wood? Easily one of the most original movies of the 90s.

Best part of this movie though... Toy Story 3 preview!
bonovox66
Supporter
Supporter

Postby markfeber@yahoo.com » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:38 pm

i think ed wood is probably burtons best but scissorhands is my fave. watched ed wood last night and man it was great! and am i the only one who liked mars attacks? havent seen alice but want to badly. hollow just didnt do it for me and charlie i have yet to see really. tried but lost interest.
markfeber@yahoo.com
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby tristanjblythe » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:25 am

Going to see Crazy Heart with a mate tomorrow - really looking forward to it.

Hope to see Alice soon - reserving judgement until then, especially as I love the books.
tristanjblythe

PreviousNext

Return to Movies & TV