curb your enthusiasm: the bare midriff

What new & old movies do you like? Room for TV talk as well.

Moderator: Mike

curb your enthusiasm: the bare midriff

Postby chris » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:20 pm

every sunday evening on hbo, is a fabulous show titled curb your enthusiasm. it stars larry david. and it is as close to seinfeld as you can get. some may argue it is seinfeld. this season will feature a seinfeld reunion...sort of.

the latest episode was "the bare midriff". arguably the funniest episode of seinfeld/curb yet made. just brilliant. it was note for note, word for word perfect. anyone here have the pleasure to have seen it?
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Re: curb your enthusiasm: the bare midriff

Postby Mike » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:17 am

I love Curb. To get a season about a Seinfeld reunion in which original cast members appear in 6 episodes is a very clever because a real Seinfeld reunion will never happen. At least that's what Jerry said in an interview on the HBO site.
Mike Kovacich
www.macca-central.com . . . . . . . . . . . . www.maccaradio.com
The Paul McCartney FUNSITE . . . . . . . . The Voice of The Beatles
Mike
Gold member :)

Postby james1985 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:21 am

I thought this episode didn't really work. It had some great bits, like the napkin scene and the conversation where the bare midriff was brought up, but I didn't think the flashback was particularly funny and it all got a bit dark for Curb at the end. And as much as I loved Jerry and Larry riffing together, I missed Jeff (and Leon). I thought this episode was a decent stab at something new, but it didn't quite come off for me.

Last week's Wendy Wheelchair, on the other hand, was an absolute classic :-D
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby chris » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:39 am

James, it worked much better for me than it did you. Anytime you can squeeze the word protuberance into conversation is a plus for me. But I will concede that the show needs regular appearances from Jeff, Leon (gotta get in that ass, Larry) and Suzie (we're gonna go for a f*cking walk and it's going to be romantic). I just loved crying Jesus.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mike » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:26 pm

Now since this is a MACCA site, I just thought the episode with John Macinroe, where Larry drives the limo, picks up Macinroe at the airport and tries to get him to the McCartney concert on time for the pre-show party. The freak book and then Heather Mills over hears them, and says "YOU BALD F#@K !!" Now that was funny. Most episodes are just plain silly, how he gets himself in those situations. I love Jeff's wife, well not really, I surely would not like a wife like that, but she is great putting Larry in his place. You can easily see with Curb how the real stupid things David come up with, must have been the same stupid things from Seinfeld.
Mike Kovacich
www.macca-central.com . . . . . . . . . . . . www.maccaradio.com
The Paul McCartney FUNSITE . . . . . . . . The Voice of The Beatles
Mike

Postby Awesoman » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:12 pm

james1985 wrote:I thought this episode didn't really work. It had some great bits, like the napkin scene and the conversation where the bare midriff was brought up, but I didn't think the flashback was particularly funny and it all got a bit dark for Curb at the end. And as much as I loved Jerry and Larry riffing together, I missed Jeff (and Leon). I thought this episode was a decent stab at something new, but it didn't quite come off for me.

Last week's Wendy Wheelchair, on the other hand, was an absolute classic :-D

I agree 100% with this. I was on the floor laughing at the "Denise Handicapped" episode. My all-time favorite episode of this show is probably "The Doll" from Season 2 (which also happens to be my favorite season of the series).
Awesoman

Postby james1985 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:04 pm

Mike wrote:Now since this is a MACCA site, I just thought the episode with John Macinroe, where Larry drives the limo, picks up Macinroe at the airport and tries to get him to the McCartney concert on time for the pre-show party. The freak book and then Heather Mills over hears them, and says "YOU BALD F#@K !!" Now that was funny.

That's a classic, one of the best. McEnroe is a riot.

Larry's got into a bit of trouble with this week's episode, though. :roll:
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby chris » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:46 pm

yeah, our boy LD has gotten himself into a bit of a pickle, hasn't he? look...is larry offensive? sure he is. he offends everybody and everyone. in a weird way, that is one of his charms.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby james1985 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:28 pm

chris wrote:yeah, our boy LD has gotten himself into a bit of a pickle, hasn't he? look...is larry offensive? sure he is. he offends everybody and everyone. in a weird way, that is one of his charms.

He'll probably use this as an idea for the next season...
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby chris » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:43 pm

the latest...the black swan...too good. IT'S NOT LIKE IT WAS A WILD BOAR, LARRY. i don't know if trouble finds him...nah! he finds it. always does.

and if i ever had to golf with LD, i think i'd burn my clubs.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Next

Return to Movies & TV