Who will win the world cup?

What's your favourite team, player, passtime.

Moderator: Mike

Postby EddieV » Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:17 am

mi wrote:Thank goodness it's over :roll:

Wouldn´t say that, but I think there has been too many boring matches!!
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby funkbeatle » Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:43 am

Cologne girl wrote:
I'm afraid, funkbeatle, you and I will have to wait another four years - for your 3rd cup or our 4th cup :lol: (or maybe Brazil's umpteenth cup or...)

Hey Girl from Cologne did you see any match in your hometown? Yeah just to see how hard is to win a World Cup to any team. Even Brazil has only 5 cups in 76 years in WC history and only 7 teams could win over the times. It's a pity to Germany losing a cup in your own country but just remember Germany could win in Italy in 1990. Curiously that had a kind of an exchange of championship between them. I win in your home and you win in mine, entendes? :wink:
I wonder brazilian friends here had no comments about this WC. They must be very upset about their overrated team. Where are the superstars Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Roberto Carlos, Cafu? I almost couldn't see that wonderful playing that the world used to say about them in this WC. At least Argentina could fight to death before getting have eliminated by Germany, I'm proud of them.
Last edited by funkbeatle on Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
funkbeatle

Postby funkbeatle » Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:51 am

Well, I understand who doesn't like that sport the same as I don't like american football or baseball championship seasons... I just can't wait for the next WC in South Africa 2010!! :P
funkbeatle

Postby mi » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:24 am

EddieV wrote:

Wouldn´t say that, but I think there has been too many boring matches!!

They all looked the same to me...
mi
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Paulo » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:03 pm

I can´t beleive FIFA gave Zidane the title of best player... That's really a shame and that sure explains lots of things that have happened throughout the Cup...

Some countries will never make it...

Still, I'm glad Italy won, but most of all, I'm glad France didn't win! :evil:
Paulo
Supporter
Supporter

Postby funkbeatle » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:20 pm

Well, Zidane must have been hardly offended, but nothing can justify his violent act. Where was his fair playing? A sad end of career though he got to be awarded as the WC best player. :(
funkbeatle

Postby Cologne girl » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:40 pm

Paulo wrote:I can´t beleive FIFA gave Zidane the title of best player... That's really a shame and that sure explains lots of things that have happened throughout the Cup...

Some countries will never make it...

Still, I'm glad Italy won, but most of all, I'm glad France didn't win! :evil:

I suppose we've all got our little resentments here and there :wink: For once, my husband and I agree :wink: , in that Italy during almost all of the Cup played anti-football, and we just don't think they deserved to win. Germany and France had at least some good moments - they played football, and Italy scored - too bad.

I'm not too sure about Zidane - of course, his behaviour was wrong and cannot be excused (even if - as some rumour has it - that Italian guy said to him he was a terrorist just because he's of Algerian origin), but can this moment invalidate all the postivie contributions he made? Plus this provocation and later Buffon stepping in and telling the referee, just to make sure Zidane was really told to leave - it fits in with the early "collision" between Cannavaro and Thierry Henry and the attack on Vieira (which my husband - who knows about these kind of things - says should have been a clear penalty) - it was all cool calculation - everything directed to the aim of "eliminating" the few players who could have jeopardized their victory. I'm sorry but I can't be brought to like this kind of mentality and all in all, perhaps it was a good thing Zidane got this award after all - at least they couldn't mess that up. Of course, I'm disappointed they kicked Germany out, but it's not just that. If they had played decently, I might - with some effort - say "congratulations, the better team has won", but not this way.

I'll miss the World Cup :cry: As our coach said, "after the match is before the match", so I suppose at least on this side of hte Atlantic, we can now start concentrating on the European championships :)
It's the start of a journey
To a much better place
And this wasn't bad
So a much better place
Would have to be special...
Cologne girl
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Cologne girl » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:44 pm

james1985 wrote:excellent, two final defeats in two months for Thierry Henry!

What's wrong with Thierry Henry?
It's the start of a journey
To a much better place
And this wasn't bad
So a much better place
Would have to be special...
Cologne girl
Supporter
Supporter

Postby james1985 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:37 pm

Cologne girl wrote:
james1985 wrote:excellent, two final defeats in two months for Thierry Henry!

What's wrong with Thierry Henry?

1) He plays for Arsenal, a team that dive and cheat and moan at the referee like no other.

2) He gets regular praise, is almost untouchable in the British press for his "sportsmanship", even though he dives and cons the ref like the rest of them - see the Spain game for evidence.

3) He lives up his own backside.
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Paulo » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:47 pm

My point was that FIFA denied the award of best young player to Cristiano Ronaldo claiming that he was not very good on the fair-play factor, even though he was the most voted on FIFA web site (inspite of all the votes against him by England fans because of the red card to Rooney and because he didn't pass the ball to his team mates of Man United...)

We had to accept that, though he wasn´t the only one doing that...

Then, FIFA gives Zidane the title of best player!!!!??? Come on, we're not being serious here... Some very important things are decided outside the field by a few countries who rule FIFA, who was supposed to be an independant organization.
Paulo
Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Sports & Recreation