Team Canada's Olympic Mens Hockey Team.

What's your favourite team, player, passtime.

Moderator: Mike

Team Canada's Olympic Mens Hockey Team.

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru » Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:41 pm

Well.......... If only the whole team were made up of Joe Sakics...then maybe we woulda done alright!
I go back so far... I'm in front of me!
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

Postby EddieV » Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:32 pm

I think The Swedes deserved to win. Forsberg and Sundin wow
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:17 pm

I agree...and Finland was great too....but we expect alot from our boys...and its a pretty solomn time For Hockey Canada.
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:20 pm

I also have to say.. not putting Sidney Crosby on the Canadian Olympic Team was a Huge oversight by Wayne Gretzky!
Last edited by Genuine_Indian_Guru on Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mike » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:21 pm

Gosh I hope NOT.

It was Joe Sakic on every power play and doing NOTHING.

When the Thorton line or St.Louis had good shifts, how did the get rewarded ? Sit on the bench so Joe Sakic can be a hero. Didn't happen, very poor coaching. You would think after a few powerplays, they would make changes. You would think after one game, they would make changes, you would think after the 2nd game of not scoring a single goal, but no. Joe Sakic and his line did nothing yet they were given all the golden opportunities on powerplays.

You have to play your hot players, not your stars based on what the did in the past. You play the player who are producing in the now. Thorton and St.Louis lines had by far the most scoring opportunities considering how little ice time they got.

I don't blame the player, most of us expected the preliminary round to be rough on the Canadians until they got their act together. The mult-million dollar law suit announced at the start of the Olympics again Bertuzzi should have been a sign. He should have taken himself out of the tournament, when he didn't the coach should have started to limit his ice time. He got far too many senseless penalties that put our boys too far in the hole.
Mike
Gold member :)

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:24 pm

Poop coaching...yes.....Sakic poor....disagree!!!! Joe played well ...and he even had a broken face!

St Louis stunk....Lecavilier stunk ..that line generated nothing!
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:27 pm

Bertuzzi Stunk too....if only he had of taken himself out....maybe Crosby or Staal coulda took the spot!

Oh and the coaching really sucked.....they played just like the leafs!
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Paperback Writer » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:09 am

No pros should be playing team sports in the Olympics, it sucks, let the amuteurs play, it was WAY better then. You can't have "team" play with a bunch of babies quickly assembled - besides they wreck hotel rooms! WHO do they think they are, the WHO?
"Step on the gas and wipe that tear away,
One sweet dream came true today!"
Paperback Writer
Silver member
Silver member

Postby 2 of 3 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:51 am

he even had a broken face!

That is funny :lol: True though. I agree, there should not be any pros in the olympics. It's like watching basketball in the summer olympics...I rather see amature players work their butts off that a bunch of millionares. The women's hockey was great for that reason.
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mike » Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:54 pm

For the Olympics to claim the BEST atheletes then professionals must be included. The whole scheme of the olympics would have to change then. Who would watch it, certainly not as many.

Canada indeed has the most talent on the ice then any other team, they just did not play as a team. I disagree, when other lines got ice time they started putting pressure as the pros they are, then some stupid penalty by Pronger or Burtuzzi.

I like Joe Sakic but it goes to show, all that talent, it still takes a team effort to win.

Most of the teams in the tournament had players that played hockey last year. I know Thorton and Nash played for a Swiss team but generally most of the NHL did not play, that certainly had an effect on the current NHL as it did for the olympics.

Expectations were high and I was just as guilty, after the 1st game I honestly thought it would be a breeze, maybe Sweden and Finland would make things a bit interesting but the States and the Russians looked bad. Boy, did Canada come out and end up flat or what.
Mike

Return to Sports & Recreation