Catcher In The Rhye

Paperback Writer

Moderator: Mike

Re: Catcher In The Rhye

Postby yiske » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:53 am

I want to read it some day, but until now I haven't because of what happened to John :sad: . It is so painful still.
yiske

Postby derekjdavis » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:12 am

lol I have to read this book for my English class later in the semester! Oh and to whoever asked why it was never made into a movie, it's because the author (J.D. Salinger) went into isolation after writing this and never granted any rights to have it made. However he died recently so maybe it'll happen now!
Getting Better All The Time
derekjdavis

Postby bonovox66 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:34 am

derekjdavis wrote:lol I have to read this book for my English class later in the semester! Oh and to whoever asked why it was never made into a movie, it's because the author (J.D. Salinger) went into isolation after writing this and never granted any rights to have it made. However he died recently so maybe it'll happen now!

NO!!!!! Please never, never, never, never make this a movie Hollywood. This book cannot and will not translate to screen. I know I compared this to Vonnegut's work, but he and Salinger are of like minds I believe. They have attempted to translate Vonnegut's Breakfast of Champions to the screen and it was just aweful. So please idea-bankrupt Hollywood, please do not make this into a movie.

And yiske, do not let one tragic event ruin one of the greatest works of the 20th century. That would be like saying I can't drink Kool-Aid because of Jonesville, when the only reason not to drink it should be because it does not taste good :-D
bonovox66
Supporter
Supporter

Postby chris » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:19 pm

Very nicely done, bono.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby ahawk66 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:16 pm

I loved it when I first read it as a 16-year-old boy because it was the first novel that spoke to me in a voice I could relate to completely. When I read it later, when I was in my 30s, I found him to be kind of a whiny teenager. Funny how perspective changes with age. Not sure why no movie. I guess there's not a real plot. I think there may have been a movie of it at one point or another, but it wasn't done very well and it died quickly. Same with "On the Road" by Jack Kerouac. Great book, but difficult to transfer into a film. ...I teach "Catcher In the Rye" to my 11th-grade classes, and they still can relate. The voice is true to a teen's angst.
ahawk66

Postby Jurjen » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:16 am

it's a great read, i feel so sorry for holden, holden is no character in a book, he is so real, great book.
Jurjen
Supporter
Supporter

Previous

Return to Books, magazines, etc.