MACCAradio to reduce service - lack of financial support

News & Announcements, Updates, Information about MACCA Central's websites and internet radio station, MACCA Radio - Beatles, Solo & Friends, The Voice of The Beatles.

Moderator: Mike

MACCAradio to reduce service - lack of financial support

Postby Mike » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:45 am

It seems fans of MACCA Radio, though they enjoy listening do not feel it worth paying for. Thus far this month there has only been $10 donated, last month's total was $35. I cannot afford to support MACCA Radio on my own, anymore. Therefore if there is no significant change in contributions this month, MACCA Radio will be force to reduce to subscription only or eliminate service all together.

I am sorry I have to do this but the free ride is over, if you want this service to stay on-the-air, now is time to voice your opinion and start contributing. If MACCA Radio isn't worth $5 per month ($60 per year) to you, then I can understand that. A couple people have been donating regularly and I just wish there were more like you, and you know who you are. It's just not enough, simply. I always hoped one or two well off people or some company who appreciate the site and would wish to sponsor the site, but to no avail. I don't have the time to put in the effort it would take to market the site to potential contributors, so if someone out there has that kind of talent and would like to take on that effort, I'm all ears.

No final decisions have been made at this time, but in September changes will begin.
Mike Kovacich
www.macca-central.com . . . . . . . . . . . . www.maccaradio.com
The Paul McCartney FUNSITE . . . . . . . . The Voice of The Beatles
Mike
Gold member :)

Re: MACCAradio to reduce service - lack of financial support

Postby jgkojak » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:06 pm

I'm very sad to hear that - because this is the only Macca site that has a reasonable ideal/voice behind it- others are too fanatical (Jorie Gracen) or Maccahaters (Abbeyrd).

Mike- I wish I could do more. One thing you could do quick- post something over at Steve Hoffman forums. THere's a lot of Macca fans there (they had a record 5 MAF threads).

Another note--

The blogs I've been a part of that get in dire straights financially have basically published a budget/goal.

If you said "it costs me x amount to run Macca Radio per month" and then put a goal out there t to raise money I'm wondering if that would generate what you need. I work in a non-profit and our big fundraising comes when we have a tangible goal and target amount. That's also where we've had people with money say "OK, here's the other $2000 you need."
Everyone's talkin' 'bout the President
We all chip in for a bag of cement
jgkojak
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mike » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:29 pm

Thanks for your feedback. An goal of $600/month would be reasonable with exceptions is when a new album or tour is on. Bandwidth demands adds a few hundred dollars to that. As more listeners come, I will have to add streams and that will also increase monthly but $600 is very reasonable for now.

So far, this month there has been $10 collected. Every month all the costs go on my credit cards. Can't do that anymore.
Mike Kovacich
Mike

Postby Mike » Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:17 am

Thanks to a $25 donation from Carla, we have hit the $35 dollar total. August goal of $600 is falling very short, $565 to go.

If you listen and like MACCA Radio, hell even if you don't listen and don't like The Voice of The Beatles, consider contributing so to keep it available to fans.
Mike Kovacich
Mike

Postby Mike » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:15 pm

Two more donations have brought the total for August to $85 with $515 more to goal to reach this months target of $600.
Mike Kovacich
Mike

Postby mervap » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:58 pm

To the Celebrated Mr. K....I've noticed the new VH-1 sidebars on the forums...you still get some change when we click on them? That'd be a simple way to help support this fine site, something we can all do. :D
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?
mervap
Supporter
Supporter

Postby JennyWren » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:09 pm

Well, sigh. This is the worst news I've had in a long time. I love the access to MaccaRadio 24/7. I love the forums; how great it is to discuss Macca music with others. This is a great place to hang out, I'm comfortable here, there are others here who feel like friends. I'd be lost w/o MaccaRadio.

We can't let MaccaRadio / Central can't bite the dust.

Come on, guys. Please. Please help Mike out. There are tons of of here....several thousand registered memebers. If every one gave Mike a dollar, it would cover his expenses for a year.

Please help.

JennyWren
JennyWren
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mike » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:03 pm

Thank you !

Two more donations today has brought total to $110 so far for August. $490 more to go !!
Mike Kovacich
Mike

Postby JennyWren » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:39 am

Mike, I'm interested in discussing where we (well, you) are with MaccaRadio. There's gotta be some middle ground between full free service and shutdown, isn't there?

Obviously, the best solution is for listeners to step up and contribute to the site. It's good to see that some have done so. I encourage more to follow suit.

I would not object if you go subscription only. I'll be there. But I have a concern about a subscription only plan. I fear that it wouldn't generate the funds you need and that it would be more difficult to attract new listeners who could potentially be new sources of financial support.

As for assistance with marketing---I'm not a marketing person, I've never done marketing, but I'm willing to take a stab at it (with your assistance) if there are some likely sources to start with. You have some contacts with Macca people, Starbucks people, others? I actually have one, too....well, sort of. You know this person, too, maybe he could point us to some help. Anyway, if making pitches could potentially help, I'm willing to try.

What else can we do? I'll help any way I can.

Mike, PM me if you want to discuss contacts privately.

Dang. What a worry. We must save MaccaCentral. You've put so much time (years!) and care into growing it, Mike, we can't let it die. We just can't.

JennyWren
JennyWren
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mike » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:27 am

Two more donations have brought the August total thus far to $145 with $455 left to reach the $600 monthly goal.
Mike Kovacich
Mike

Next

Return to Site News, Announcements