Political hatred again has it's consequences

News & Announcements, Updates, Information about MACCA Central's websites and internet radio station, MACCA Radio - Beatles, Solo & Friends, The Voice of The Beatles.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Paperback Writer » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:03 pm

Mike, Thanks for locking-up the Live Earth post, in fact I suggested that or moving it out of 'Macca All Dscussions" a while back because it became political and some oppossed to Live Earth and it's sponsers used foul language and inflammatory remarks. I had also reminded us that over 70% voted to keep politics out of the forums. I was frustrated as that kept getting worse.

We disagree on a lot, but I appreciate the web-sight and the work you do.
I hope we can limit any political references ONLY as they relate to a song-lyric of Macca's and see his causes and charities BEYOND politics. That is why I thought the Live Earth post was "a no-brainer."

Macca's comments on "Freedom" should be the final word.

Let's respect each other. :idea:
"Step on the gas and wipe that tear away,
One sweet dream came true today!"
Paperback Writer
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Paulo » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:15 pm

Mike,

I must say that I understand that it's your site and you rule it the way you want.

Still, in this case I think you maybe overreacted. I didn't think Bruce's post was offensive. And remember one more thing: what makes your site so special is because we can speak of things that we can't on the official board. Many people that post here don't post there.

Why didn't you, instead of editing other people's posts, get in the dialogue and ask people to calm down or advice them about something you're not liking in the way the conversation is going? Don't you think it would be a wiser attitude?

I just like to say that I didn't like your decision, if I'm allowed to express my feelings towards this episode.
Paulo
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mike » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:33 pm

You didn't see the post I deleted. He left on his own, as a reaction from his departing post I booted his membership so he can't log back in.

If anyone over-reacted I believe he did. He could have left as a mature adult, but instead acted in a manner that was personally offensive to me. Don't ask me what it said cuz it's forgotten and I won't waste a brain cell thinking about it anymore.
Mike Kovacich
www.macca-central.com . . . . . . . . . . . . www.maccaradio.com
The Paul McCartney FUNSITE . . . . . . . . The Voice of The Beatles
Mike
Gold member :)

My take

Postby jgkojak » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:34 pm

I've been on this site awhile.

If there is any evidence as to how divisive Bush is it is stuff like this--

Mike- I respect this site as yours...

but this is an epidemic. I'm going to post below a column written by Peggy Noonan... speechwriter for RONALD REAGAN,

Code: Select all
Edited by Moderator
SORRY MAN, I've edited your content. I'm going to have to stop you there otherwise then I or someone else will have to dig up all the crap on the Clintons and so on.
NO MORE PLEASE

We all know you don't like the guy. Please, leave it at that. I will just delete further content without warning.
Everyone's talkin' 'bout the President
We all chip in for a bag of cement
jgkojak
Supporter
Supporter

Alight!

Postby jgkojak » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:51 pm

Alrighty then--

How about approaching this from a more positive standpoint.

One of the issues w/Paul's political songs (and John's too!) is that they are pretty much point blank- they leave very little room for interpretation (Give Ireland Back To the Irish, The Luck o' the Irish, etc.)

Check out something from Dylan's recent album, Modern Times- Workingman's Blues No. 2. This is a political statement disguised as an elegy to lost love... some very clever ways to work political substance into music:
There's an evenin' haze settlin' over town
Starlight by the edge of the creek
The buyin' power of the proletariat's gone down
Money's gettin' shallow and weak
Well, the place I love best is a sweet memory
It's a new path that we trod
They say low wages are a reality
If we want to compete abroad

My cruel weapons have been put on the shelf
Come sit down on my knee
You are dearer to me than myself
As you yourself can see
While I'm listening to the steel rails hum
Got both eyes tight shut
Just sitting here trying to keep the hunger from
Creeping it's way into my gut
Everyone's talkin' 'bout the President
We all chip in for a bag of cement
jgkojak
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:18 pm

mommasturn wrote:It is amazing that some comments are so concentrated upon while others are not even blinked at.

Someones simple opinion about a tune they just don't care for ends up a battle ground while other peoples off color crude humor doesn't get corrected at all.

I was hoping for a bit of music tutallage, but I find some posts quite offensive. :oops:

Enjoying a song or fastforwarding it is everyone's choice. So many political comments should be saved for November and go vote your opinion. Don't ruin people's music experience by hiding behind your computer screen. If what you post isn't what you would say out loud to everyone's face then perhaps you shouldn't be typing it in.

NOW, let's all discuss the top10 Paul songs so we can hear some positive stuff. :)

Very good post and please stick around for that "music tutallage" you want. I'm sure this site will provide plenty to you. :)
I go back so far... I'm in front of me!
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

Postby little lamb dragonfly » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:20 pm

"Everybody talking about the President, we all chip in for a bag of cement"
little lamb dragonfly
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:21 pm

Mike wrote:I really should be more clear, sorry. I'm referring to the one's defending NAMBLA and terrorists rights not all liberals as I am one myself with a few very strong conservative beliefs. I guess then I'm in the middle ?

Red Tory
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mike » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:33 pm

Hey, forgot to tell you we took a short 7 day vacation, drove out to the east coast, took the ferry to PEI and the Confederation Bridge back, hit everywhere except Newfoundland, the time screwed me up to much :)
Mike Kovacich
www.macca-central.com . . . . . . . . . . . . www.maccaradio.com
The Paul McCartney FUNSITE . . . . . . . . The Voice of The Beatles
Mike

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:40 pm

Mike wrote:Hey, forgot to tell you we took a short 7 day vacation, drove out to the east coast, took the ferry to PEI and the Confederation Bridge back, hit everywhere except Newfoundland, the time screwed me up to much :)

Mike!

You coulda let me know before you left. We coulda hooked up...played some guitar. :cry: Anyway ...You better have gone to the Highlands of Cape Breton Island! :shock:

For the sake of the children! 8)

Oh and despite the poor weather we were having I hope you still enjoyed!
We are I friendly lot down here! :)
If its any consolation...its hotter than hell here now! 8)
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Site News, Announcements