New Ruling: impacting Maccaradio?

News & Announcements, Updates, Information about MACCA Central's websites and internet radio station, MACCA Radio - Beatles, Solo & Friends, The Voice of The Beatles.

Moderator: Mike

New Ruling: impacting Maccaradio?

Postby jgkojak » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:43 am

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2007/ ... lty_board/

A ruling on March 2 from the Copyright Royalty Board, an arm of the Library of Congress, imposed strict new terms on the licensing of copyrighted songs for Internet broadcast that may doom even the best-run, best-funded webcasting operations.

In a hearing last week by the House Subcommittee on Telecommunications and the Internet in Washington, chairman Ed Markey, D-Mass., called the CRB ruling a "body blow to many nascent Internet radio broadcasters" and said that that the decision would hurt "fledgling entrepreneurs" as well as public broadcasters and smaller stations.

The CRB ruling determines the rates that Internet broadcasters must use to reimburse copyright owners and performing artists for the right to play their music over the Internet. To the disappointment of webcasters big and small, the new schedule set an aggressive schedule of per song royalty hikes, with proceeds paid to SoundExchange, an artists' group set up to manage and distribute digital performance royalties.

From $.0007 (.07 cents) per performance in 2005, royalties would rise to $.0008 per performance, retroactive to Jan. 1, 2006, and keep rising yearly until 2010, when the per performance royalty would cap out at $.0019 per performance. No provisions were made for small commercial webcasters who lobbied for an alternative royalty system based on a percentage of their streaming-related revenue.

How does this impact Maccaradio?

This sux- because it essentially makes it impossible to run streaming music sites-- it even states that radio stations who stream may not be able to with these royalty rates that don't take into account actual listenership #s, etc.
Everyone's talkin' 'bout the President
We all chip in for a bag of cement
jgkojak
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mike » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:42 am

This isn't law yet in the US or so I'm told. The rates for webcasting are much higher that terrestrial (FM-AM) and surely isn't fair. Traditional FM stations cater to thousands, even hundreds of thousands of listeners where as webcasters audience is much, much smaller.

You can thank your democratic representive for that. Tax the hell out of new technologies and protect the old farts in traditional broadcasting, at least the ones who line their pockets.

As per MACCA Radio, we are based in Canada so this does not affect us what-so-ever, but saying that I'm sure Canada isn't going to be far behind once the dust settles in the US. We will have to deal with it when it comes. I can say that based on the income I get from a very few people who contribute, we will come nowhere to meet the costs. Until people who listen, feel like they want to help out and contribute, MACCA Radio could die. Unless I get some kind of sponsor or benifactor to pickup the expenses.
Mike
Gold member :)

Postby JennyWren » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:35 pm

Mike said:

I'm sure Canada isn't going to be far behind once the dust settles in the US.

Yikes. This is so scary. I'd be lost without MaccaRadio. Let's hope this problem occurs later rather than sooner and that the awesome denizens of this site rally 'round with financial support.

A sponsor or sponsors would be even better, could relieve Mike of the never-ending worry of finances. Mike, if I ever win a lottery, part of it will go to you!

JennyWren
JennyWren
Supporter
Supporter

Not fair

Postby jgkojak » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:52 am

You can thank your democratic representive for that. Tax the hell out of new technologies and protect the old farts in traditional broadcasting, at least the ones who line their pockets.

That's not fair- misunderstanding technology has been a bipartisan problem-- since the Republicans have controlled Congress until just recently and the board that ruled on this is made up of Bush appointees- I'd say youve placed the blame in the wrong place.

Its the Bush FCC that has been trying to dismantle low-power local radio (legal FM stations which broadcast a few mile radius). Its the RIAA with the deep pockets into both parties. Its really all about controlling what media we consume.

The big fight will be on net neutrality- so far we are winning in preserving net neutrality. If we let the big telecoms come in and destrou the internet as we know it this ruling will look like small potatoes (and...by the way... the Democrats are generally in support of maintaining net nuetraility- all the bills counter have been Republican bills).
Everyone's talkin' 'bout the President
We all chip in for a bag of cement
jgkojak
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mike » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:06 am

All governments have been fighting the smaller guy whether it's low power FM or internet radio. Wow, you mean to say there is something going on in Washington without the Democrats control, tell me it isn't so :)

Government is one thing like the FBI and FCC, they have laws and regulations they go after people for decades. On the other hand
In a hearing last week by the House Subcommittee on Telecommunications and the Internet in Washington, chairman Ed Markey, D-Mass
clearly a democratically controlled committee as all are these days did this. You are I can't change that. The question is will this crap stay on the wall ?

It's really a shame because the reality is internet radio reaches a larger audience than XM radio and Sirius combined. So we really know who's behind this. Who would benefit the most from the demise of internet radio ?
Mike

Return to Site News, Announcements