A Little Less Solo Ringo, Please?

News & Announcements, Updates, Information about MACCA Central's websites and internet radio station, MACCA Radio - Beatles, Solo & Friends, The Voice of The Beatles.

Moderator: Mike

Re: I like SOME Beatle friends

Postby Cologne girl » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:44 pm

jgkojak wrote:I kinda like some Beatle friends...

I actually wouldn't even mind songs that might interest Beatle fans (the latest Dylan, etc.)

The trouble is that the ratios are wrong-

Ideally out of every 20 songs:

3 would be Beatles
5 would be WIngs
5 would be solo Paul
1 John
1 George
1 Ringo
1 direct contribution Beatle friend (McGear, Wilbury)
1 Beatle connected (Badfinger, etc)
2 boots/obscure unoffical recordings

Interesting idea - I could live with "1 Ringo" (ideally off "Choose Love" or "Vertical Man" :lol: ) and "1 Beatle connected" :lol: . I would just somehow like to squeeze in some more John and George. And these boots - are they meant to be by any of the above or just by Macca?

This idea of playing also other artists such as Bob Dylan is being put into practice by countless other stations, some of which I tuned into during the time Mike worked with live365.com and when we had "Just Ringo" on MaccaRadio :lol: I think the demands of people who just want to listen to "Beatley" stuff are well catered for.

With all my due respect, 2 of 3, Badfinger for me are 2nd division and the Beatles are 1st division - I don't think not being too much into Badfinger means not being into the Beatles. In homoeopathic doses, Badfinger are OK, but not one hour of Badfinger for me, please (as I said, I respect other people's tastes and will just tune out).

The subscription idea seems OK to me, Mike - I suppose we wouldn't have to pay a fortune, and it would not be "I really should make a donation" and just feeling bad instead of doing something. Request-wise, I suppose subscribers would get priority over non-subscribers, and this way there would be an incentive to subscribe, much the same way you're handling the point system already.
It's the start of a journey
To a much better place
And this wasn't bad
So a much better place
Would have to be special...
Cologne girl
Supporter
Supporter

Postby 2 of 3 » Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:27 am

Sorry CG...though I repect your opinion too, you have to remember some of us LOVE Badfinger, and would not like to see them go. Now, I do see your point about the hr block...and I would say the problem with that Hr block is the amount of bonus tracks Mike has in rotation. These songs were left off other albums for a reason....they're kind of weak. But for the fan, great to hear.

How about member playlists? I'm not sure how that would work, or how much extra work this would put on Mike(progamming)..but we could send him OUR personal playlists...say in hour blocks of music. If that wouldn't be a nightmare to do.
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby RickStark79 » Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:23 am

Well, I'm kinda with CG on this one. I actually really like Badfinger, but I don't see the need to have their whole catalog rotating on the station. I know Paul and George did some writing in their early days, and they were on Apple, but that's about it. If that's the criteria, then you'd have to put all of James Taylor's catalog on, all of Electric Light Orchestra's stuff, also Tom Petty, Beach Boys, Steve Miller Band, Bob Dylan, Eric Clapton, Billy Preston, etc etc etc -- You get the point. You can't include every song by every artist that the Beatles were associated with -- it would just be overkill. I think the only way to truly make a "Beatles" station would be to only include songs that any of the Beatles played on or wrote. That being said, I pretty much like it the way it is. I enjoy hearing Meanwhile Back At The Ranch after Ticket To Ride, even if it has virtually nothing to do with The Beatles themselves.
No one understaaaaands...
RickStark79
Supporter
Supporter

Postby 2 of 3 » Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:16 am

Meanwhile Back At The Ranch after Ticket To Ride, even if it has virtually nothing to do with The Beatles themselves.

But wasn't the guitar Pete Ham used the most, given to him by George Harrison?...and I think Joey uses one of Macca's discarded picks. I think it fell behind a radiator at Abbey Road or something. :P :wink:

My point is, I think Mike is doing a great job trying to please everyone's taste. :)
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby darrel » Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:17 pm

listen to time takes time its a great cd. u cant knock ringo he does his best
darrel

Postby JennyWren » Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:42 pm

Mike, I understand why you had to broaden the playlist. More listeners would ideally convert to more contributions enabling this to remain a viable site. You gotta do what you gotta do.

I would consider subscribing to a high-quality stream. Mike, I couldn't tell for sure .... would this be a Macca only stream or Friends, as well?

I hope those who are offering suggestions to Mike have made contribuitons to the site. .....

JennyWren
JennyWren
Supporter
Supporter

Previous

Return to Site News, Announcements