Thinking of removing EMAIL listing in MEMBERLIST

News & Announcements, Updates, Information about MACCA Central's websites and internet radio station, MACCA Radio - Beatles, Solo & Friends, The Voice of The Beatles.

Moderator: Mike

Thinking of removing EMAIL listing in MEMBERLIST

Postby Mike » Sun May 16, 2004 5:53 pm

I'm playing with the thought of removing the link to EMAIL in the main MEMBERLIST so to discourage people from farming email addresses. Farming basically means copying each email addresss thus forming a larger list of email addresses for use of, well whatever.

Access to EMAIL from a profile will remain but I think listing the EMAIL in the MEMBERLIST listing is a bit too inviting.

Any thoughts before I do it ?
Mike Kovacich
www.macca-central.com . . . . . . . . . . . . www.maccaradio.com
The Paul McCartney FUNSITE . . . . . . . . The Voice of The Beatles
Mike
Gold member :)

Re: Thinking of removing EMAIL listing in MEMBERLIST

Postby Ram1 » Sun May 16, 2004 7:48 pm

Mike wrote:I'm playing with the thought of removing the link to EMAIL in the main MEMBERLIST so to discourage people from farming email addresses. Farming basically means copying each email addresss thus forming a larger list of email addresses for use of, well whatever.

Access to EMAIL from a profile will remain but I think listing the EMAIL in the MEMBERLIST listing is a bit too inviting.

Any thoughts before I do it ?

I agree, Mike. I get too much junk crap in my email box as it is. These people can get your email address from anywhere. Lately, I've been getting this one entitled, "Member list notification" or something like that. And at first glance, I keep thinking it's a PM notification from Macca Central. So yeah, I say can the email from the memberlist. If a member wants to contact us, it's still easy to do....just do it through the profile or PM.
October 8th, 2005....The BEST show EVER!!!!
Ram1

Postby Steve-o » Sun May 16, 2004 10:25 pm

Good idea and the reasoning behind it is solid. I say go for it.....
How Come No One Older Than Me Ever Seems To Understand The Things I Wanna To Do?
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Bluebird » Mon May 17, 2004 4:30 am

Much easier in that way....
You must appreciate the day...
Bluebird
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Mike » Mon May 17, 2004 4:16 pm

I wish I'd get more feedback but that's my complaint all the time :) I went ahead and removed the email graphic/link from the MEMBERLIST listing. You will still be able to get the member's email only if your are a member and you click on his name to get to their PROFILE.

I'm still working on MASS MAILING feature so I can more easily update and send of mass emails to those who requested it. I have a huge list of people who have registered that are not members of MACCA-Forums.

What my goal is to make a simple interface so one login/password will allow entry into your PROFILE from which you will be able to select options to receive news updates via email and use same login/password to get into forums, chat and other features of the site.
Mike Kovacich
www.macca-central.com . . . . . . . . . . . . www.maccaradio.com
The Paul McCartney FUNSITE . . . . . . . . The Voice of The Beatles
Mike

Postby Ram1 » Mon May 17, 2004 5:08 pm

Mike wrote:I wish I'd get more feedback but that's my complaint all the time :)

Well, you got the feedback of two Moderators and the posting freak of Macca Central, BPF. LOL
October 8th, 2005....The BEST show EVER!!!!
Ram1

Postby Bluebird » Tue May 18, 2004 4:26 am

Ram1 wrote:Well, you got the feedback of two Moderators and the posting freak of Macca Central, BPF. LOL
There you go! :wink:
You must appreciate the day...
Bluebird
Platinum member
Platinum member

Return to Site News, Announcements