A discussion of all the Beatle albums

Moderator: Mike

Postby 2 of 3 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:01 am

Nope, It was Ringo. :)
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby james1985 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:38 am

kylestyle wrote:I also enjoy Ringo's drumming on Sexy Sadie - some good simple-but-tight drumming there, he does some wonderful things towards the end with open hi-hats, suits the arrangement of the song. Wow, poor ole Maharishi must have been majorly bummed when he first heard that song. :roll: :lol:

do you think he popped down to his local record store to buy it the day it came out? :D
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Re: The White Album

Postby lobbybobby » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:24 pm

Gave myself a Christmas present and listened for the first time in a long while with headphones cranked and uninterrupted.

I always thought I liked side 1 & 2 better. Today it was 3 & 4.

What a great album.

Good night.
a good friend of mine...follows the stars...
lobbybobby
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mattal1958 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:32 pm

45 years later, that album still overwhelms-- and that's meant in a good way.

I don't know how many albums out there reference songs from itself. George's "Savoy Truffle" (Side 4, track 3) references Paul's "Ob La Di Ob La Da" (Side 1, track 4). The journey of music between those songs almost makes the referencing as valid as John's "Glass Onion," which references several previous Beatles songs. it's as if "Ob La Di Ob La Da" was already a song from the past, already in the Beatles Canon, with the line "we all know Ob La Di Bla Da/but can you show me where you are?"

I remember when the re-masters came out and I listened to all the albums in a row on the day of release, but by the time I got to the White Album, my head might have been a bit blown, so I probably need to listen to it proper again-- track 1 thru track 30.

The problem is, that was the stereo version. I've since purchased the mono set, and in many cases, the mono mixes are BETTER than the stereo ones. Overall, the stereo version is better, I think, but there are several tracks ("I'm So Tired," "Blackbird," "Yer Blues," "Long, Long, Long" and others) where I prefer the mono versions.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby chris » Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:46 pm

mattal, I did it the other way around. since I grew up on the stereo versions...most of us did, I suppose...I thought i'd be a purist and get the mono box. it blew my mind. mixes were different. some fade-outs lasted longer. sometimes...even the spaces between the songs were different (which you may not think alters the way you hear an album...but it does). but then I thought...why limit myself? so I am acclimating myself to the more familiar stereo versions. they are obviously awesome. but...when I listened, for the first time, to my mono box set...it was like I was listening to these albums for the first time. and sadly that sensation can not be repeated.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mattal1958 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:16 am

Chris, that mono box is a revelation. I was very dismissive of the idea until I did some reading about it by people who know of what they speak. I never liked the early years stereo separation of vocals in one channel, instrumentation in the other (oversimplifying, but that's the effect of a lot of those early year mixes), so I knew the mono mixes would at least give me a different perspective. The first four original CD releases were in mono, I believe-- PPM, WTB, HDN, and BFS.
BUt, the mono box is just spectacular. In short, I think it gives the rockers much more punch (the instrumentation and energy coming at you in one blast instead of separated), and the simpler ballads (i.e., "Yesterday," "Blackbird," "Til There Was You" among others) a clean, uncluttered sound, highlighting the vocals even more.

I'm sure this is a thread that was exhausted a few years ago when it was issued, but, since the topic has been discussed here a bit, had to continue on!
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby james1985 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:06 pm

One day I'll splash out on that Mono Box...
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby garrystanton » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:11 pm

Guys- I completely agree with your use of the word 'overwhelming'. The White Album is a towering, astounding musical achievement which should
sit at no.1 in every album poll. I can't think of another album in the entire rock oeuvre which does what this wonderful record does.
The Beatles underrated? They are where this record is concerned. And yes, in mono it is incredible.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
So I stood with a knot in my stomach,
And I gazed at that terrible sight
Of two youngsters concealed in a barrel,
Sucking monkberry moon delight.
garrystanton

Postby Mattal1958 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:41 pm

Yes, garrystanton. Couldn't agree more. I remember seeing the WHITE ALBUM for the first time. A friend of mine had it, and it was an original pressing, with the words THE BEATLES indented (or out-dented?) in the all white cover. When I opened the gatefold, and saw the four black and white photos of these guys on the right, with the song titles all bunched together in greyish lettering on the left, even before I heard a note, I was astounded by both the simplicity of it, and the unspoken confidence and even arrogance of this band. It was like, OK people. This is what we just did. We are The Beatles. We hope you like it. We don't really give a damn, though. But, really, we KNOW you'll like it. Because we are The Beatles.

What other band could present a DOUBLE album like this?

Of course, once I heard the thing, it cemented my love for this band FOREVER.
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:28 am

:-D

yup..ditto...and all those other agreeable thingees...

best beatle album ever, imho...i, too, remember that big, white gatefold...that big, papery fold out lyric sheet...loving every side...every song...every moment of it...mesmerizing...even now
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

PreviousNext

Return to The Beatles: Albums