:Anthology 2

A discussion of all the Beatle albums

Moderator: Mike

Postby Lazarus_2 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:43 pm

james1985 wrote:
maccastheman wrote:
james1985 wrote:
maccastheman wrote:John's version is very bare-bones - just him and his piano. It's really beautiful, but I like the Beatle's version as well. John's version is on the Imagine soundtrack, and it's also on the two-disc, Yoko wallet padding Working Class Hero collection that just came out last year.

there is a better John solo version (IMO) of Real Love on his "Acousitc" album, released last year. Just JL on acoustic guitar. Really really good and has an alternative middle 8/bridge and a few different lyrics. check it out!

Oh yes - the other Yoko wallet-padding collection, lol. I actually like the piano version better. My favortie things on the John Lennon Anthology are the parodies. Hysterical. Especially the Dylan one where he's reading the newspaper and the "Yesterday" parody.

the Dylan parodies are hillarious! John was such a funny guy. Serve Yourself also always makes me smile
ONly if your not a fan of Dylan(a sizeable fan)...

Family Guy had this George Harrison bit, where the(family guy) was guarding George Harrison's mansion, but he was watching TV, and we see the guy who stabbed harrison climbing over the wall, and all hell breaking loose in the background(we hear it).

That joke was in BAD taste, and i will never laugh at that incident being made light of.
youtube.com/kinnarchimedes
Lazarus_2
Silver member
Silver member

Postby james1985 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:52 pm

I'm a fan of Dylan, and I still find the parodies funny. Just like I find the Rutles movie hillarious.

But that Famly Guy joke does sound un-funny and bad taste
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby maccastheman » Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:56 pm

Lazarus_2 wrote:
james1985 wrote:
maccastheman wrote:
james1985 wrote:
maccastheman wrote:John's version is very bare-bones - just him and his piano. It's really beautiful, but I like the Beatle's version as well. John's version is on the Imagine soundtrack, and it's also on the two-disc, Yoko wallet padding Working Class Hero collection that just came out last year.

there is a better John solo version (IMO) of Real Love on his "Acousitc" album, released last year. Just JL on acoustic guitar. Really really good and has an alternative middle 8/bridge and a few different lyrics. check it out!

Oh yes - the other Yoko wallet-padding collection, lol. I actually like the piano version better. My favortie things on the John Lennon Anthology are the parodies. Hysterical. Especially the Dylan one where he's reading the newspaper and the "Yesterday" parody.

the Dylan parodies are hillarious! John was such a funny guy. Serve Yourself also always makes me smile

I've seen Dylan 9 times - more than any other artist I've seen. So I think I would count myself as a sizeable fan. I still think Lennon's parodies are hysterical. In the liner notes to Biograph, Dylan talked about how much he missed Lennon - even after Lennon tore into him in the infamous Rolling Stone interview. I think one of the keys to happiness in life is not taking yourself so seriously...
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Lazarus_2 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:21 pm

maccastheman wrote:
Lazarus_2 wrote:
james1985 wrote:
maccastheman wrote:
james1985 wrote:

I've seen Dylan 9 times - more than any other artist I've seen. So I think I would count myself as a sizeable fan. I still think Lennon's parodies are hysterical. In the liner notes to Biograph, Dylan talked about how much he missed Lennon - even after Lennon tore into him in the infamous Rolling Stone interview. I think one of the keys to happiness in life is not taking yourself so seriously...
i must admit i've never heard the parodies you speak of(dylan parodies)...
Simon and garfunkel did a dylan parody, and it was amusing...(but, not hilarious)..
Lazarus_2
Silver member
Silver member

Postby james1985 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:23 pm

can you imagine Simon and Garfunkel to be as funny and witty as John?

Art Garfunkel looks like he's never cracked a joke in his life :D
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby maccastheman » Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:25 pm

james1985 wrote:can you imagine Simon and Garfunkel to be as funny and witty as John?

Art Garfunkel looks like he's never cracked a joke in his life :D

Art Garfunkel is an odd duck, no question. (Granted, we all are) His facial expressions and radom comments on stage just crack me up.
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Lazarus_2 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:25 am

Paul's contribution to Real Love is virtually un-noticable.

Weren't the Beatles all supposed to contribue something(substantial) to the record?
Like on Dear Prudence...(probably their best arguably with all contributing)

Was Paul afraid to contribute something meaningful or something?

p.s: I'm starting to think now this 2-track reunion should never have been done. I mean if you're gonna do something, do it properly...

At least George did his part brilliantly(i think he was seemingly the only substantial contributor)
Lazarus_2
Silver member
Silver member

Postby RickStark79 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:04 am

Lazarus_2 wrote:Paul's contribution to Real Love is virtually un-noticable.

Weren't the Beatles all supposed to contribue something(substantial) to the record?

p.s: I'm starting to think now this 2-track reunion should never have been done. I mean if you're gonna do something, do it properly...

At least George did his part brilliantly(i think he was seemingly the only substantial contributor)

Well, Paul did play bass on Real Love didn't he?!?
No one understaaaaands...
RickStark79
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Lazarus_2 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:24 pm

RickStark79 wrote:
Lazarus_2 wrote:Paul's contribution to Real Love is virtually un-noticable.

Well, Paul did play bass on Real Love didn't he?!?
mabye...
I dont like the low-quality of Johns parts...

SHould've just re-recorded some of the tracks from Double Fantasy/Milk And Honey....
Then they could've added "Somedays" by McCartney, a track from George, a track from Ringo, then we'd have a "mini-beatle" album...
Not too hard?....

But, no they had to take the hard way, and put music to a crappy low-quality tape recordings...
Lazarus_2
Silver member
Silver member

Postby jules » Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:53 pm

Real Love is not crappy. It's fab and I love it.
jules

PreviousNext

Return to The Beatles: Albums