:Anthology 2

A discussion of all the Beatle albums

Moderator: Mike

To Berkeleyan & HelterSkelter

Postby beatlemachi » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:51 pm

I've got this take of "No Reply" that Paul & John were whipped out, totally stoned.
At the beggining Paul sings"...'cos I looked up to see....Your Face..." giggling stupidly...
The next block "...'cosI saw U walk in -and John sings "your door" but Paul giggles frenetically "Your face..." The two choked- but the takes goes on -and in every single block Paul would finish.." your face..."
John says something :" c'mon,man, stop it..." and the take finishes anyway.Try singing NoReply that way-is hilarious-finish allways with "your face"...
Then they did the "No Reply" cha cha cha take...Crazy,man..
I laugh every time with them-and listen shakin'my head -realizing that through that grass smoke cloud-U can see anyhow the genius/talent & and joi de vivre...
Shalom.
How kind of U to think of me
When I was out of sorts,
It really meant a lot to be
in someone's elses thoughts...
beatlemachi

Postby EddieV » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:55 am

Great view into Beatles archieves.

Real Love is a beautiful song, much better than Free As a Bird.

Really a touching moment to see Paul and George hug eachother!!
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr. moonlight » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:58 pm

EddieV wrote:Great view into Beatles archieves.

yes it is.
but i don't like the production that much, i prefer John's solo version on John's Anthology.

Anthology 2 is my favourite of the series, cause 65/66/67 are my favourite Beatle-years.
there are takes from this album i prefer to the released versions. Yes It Is, You've Got To Hide Your Love Away, It's Only Love, Strawberry Fields Forever Take 7 and Your Mother Should Know.
mr. moonlight

Postby jules » Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:00 pm

This is the one that Mojo magazine (I reckon) said that McCartney's talent "shone like a nuclear accident" or words to that effect. Anyway, you know what I/the magazine meant. The years 65 to 67 were where Macca's overall talent, voice, (multi instrumental) musicianship, songwriting ability and collaborative powers with JL were at their absolute peak. Not one of Macca's songs falls below the level of stunning here; astonishing! Mind you JL and GH were no slouches either.
This album shows that they made all the right decisions with the originally released songs, too. Anthology 2 is like an alternative universe of Beatlemusic.
jules

Postby EddieV » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:17 am

mr. moonlight wrote:
EddieV wrote:Great view into Beatles archieves.

yes it is.
but i don't like the production that much, i prefer John's solo version on John's Anthology.quote]

I haven´t got John´s version is it that good?
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby maccastheman » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:29 am

John's version is very bare-bones - just him and his piano. It's really beautiful, but I like the Beatle's version as well. John's version is on the Imagine soundtrack, and it's also on the two-disc, Yoko wallet padding Working Class Hero collection that just came out last year.
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby maccastheman » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:32 am

EddieV wrote:

As far as songs are concerned, I probably agree with you. But as far as the band performance, I have to go with Free As a Bird. I think the others had a lot more input in Free As a Bird, whereas on Real Love they were basicially adding filler instruments and singing harmony vocals. Macca even said something like that.
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby james1985 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:10 pm

maccastheman wrote:John's version is very bare-bones - just him and his piano. It's really beautiful, but I like the Beatle's version as well. John's version is on the Imagine soundtrack, and it's also on the two-disc, Yoko wallet padding Working Class Hero collection that just came out last year.

there is a better John solo version (IMO) of Real Love on his "Acousitc" album, released last year. Just JL on acoustic guitar. Really really good and has an alternative middle 8/bridge and a few different lyrics. check it out!
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby maccastheman » Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:26 pm

james1985 wrote:
maccastheman wrote:John's version is very bare-bones - just him and his piano. It's really beautiful, but I like the Beatle's version as well. John's version is on the Imagine soundtrack, and it's also on the two-disc, Yoko wallet padding Working Class Hero collection that just came out last year.

there is a better John solo version (IMO) of Real Love on his "Acousitc" album, released last year. Just JL on acoustic guitar. Really really good and has an alternative middle 8/bridge and a few different lyrics. check it out!

Oh yes - the other Yoko wallet-padding collection, lol. I actually like the piano version better. My favortie things on the John Lennon Anthology are the parodies. Hysterical. Especially the Dylan one where he's reading the newspaper and the "Yesterday" parody.
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby james1985 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:42 pm

maccastheman wrote:
james1985 wrote:

Oh yes - the other Yoko wallet-padding collection, lol. I actually like the piano version better. My favortie things on the John Lennon Anthology are the parodies. Hysterical. Especially the Dylan one where he's reading the newspaper and the "Yesterday" parody.

the Dylan parodies are hillarious! John was such a funny guy. Serve Yourself also always makes me smile
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to The Beatles: Albums