::Let It Be...Naked

A discussion of all the Beatle albums

Moderator: Mike

Postby HeyJude » Sat Dec 27, 2003 9:08 pm

I like LIB...N, though I've never thought the original LIB's bad. But I've been always so angry about the Spector things, and now I'm very glad LAWR, IMM and ATU got rid of them. But I miss the little conversations between the songs too (especially John's at the beginning of GB: "Sweet Loretta found she thought she was a cleaner, but she was a frying pan"[:D]). The stripped versions are wonderful, ATU is just astonishing! I simply love the new (may I say 'right') version of LAWR, in the Spectorised one I couldn't even hear Paul's vocals clearly.[xx(] IGAF is cool as always, so are DLMD and TOU. I've never really liked Dig A Pony, so I don't really care about the new version.
LIB...N in the long run is not a blaster, but very much worth going for it.
HeyJude
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Gastro (gone) » Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:50 pm

quote:Originally posted by Helter Skelter
To Gastro Boy:

"Does Across the Universe belong on this CD"?

Yes it does,since they rehersed the song during the sessions.

So when they rehearsed this song in '67 they were doing it for the Let It Be sessions huh... thanks Einstein...
Gastro (gone)

Postby Steve-o » Tue Jan 20, 2004 5:46 pm

quote:Originally posted by Gastro Boy
thanks Einstein...
Someone tell this guy that we stopped using that one in the 60's.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ram1 » Tue Jan 20, 2004 7:06 pm

quote:Originally posted by Steve-o
quote:Originally posted by Gastro Boy
thanks Einstein...
Someone tell this guy that we stopped using that one in the 60's.

CHOKE!!!!
Ram1

Postby Bluebird » Thu Mar 25, 2004 12:11 pm

"Does Across the Universe belong on this CD"?
Of course
You must appreciate the day...
Bluebird
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Liam OSM » Mon Apr 05, 2004 8:27 am

Heads up!

Well, I see a lot of aggression from this "Gastro" chap, but he's now no longer here? Another attempt from Kameamea, perhaps?

Anyhow, moving on - my take on LIBN.

First off, yes, the sound quality is much better. Secondly, it's also a good thing that they removed the talking between tracks - which is fine on demos and Anthology stuff and what-have-you, but a finished album? No. So that's another thumbs-up.

Secondly, the songs themselves. The removal of "Dig It" and "Maggie May", replaced by "Don't Let Me Down" was another good idea. But the differences?

Well, let's see. "Get Back" - I forget who said it, but yes, the song is cut off a little too abruptly. Otherwise, it's very good. Improved sound quality although no real difference to the original.

For You Blue - this, coupled with Paul's performance of it at the George tribute show, remind you that it is a very nice song. Not a classic, by any means, but a good solid song. Much improved.

I've Got A Feeling - this sounds a bit lighter than the original, which was quite blistering. Interesting difference, and a good solid track either way.

I Me Mine - not much to say on this, it's just the strings removed from the original and better sound quality.

Two Of Us, One After 909 and Dig A Pony, again, all there is to say is the improved sound quality. Good.

The main points are with the most famous songs.

Across The Universe - the most improved song on the album. The simple effect of just acoustic guitar/vocal is perfect. I liked the original PS version, until I heard this new one.

Let It Be - I agree with Brains. Don't get me wrong, I like this version, it keeps a prominent piano, but the original album version should have been done. Strip off Spector's work, and keep piano AND guitars prominent at the end (the PS version has guitars, the naked version has piano). There are three mixes of this song out there, none of them are perfect, but all of them are worth 10/10. One of the best songs ever by anybody.
Btw - the backing vocal IS Linda. Paul says so on the Wingspan documentary.

The Long & Winding Road - the most controversial track. Now, yes, Spector went overboard with the orchestra, they came in far too quickly. But there's something missing. Billy Preston's keyboard solo doesn't cut it. The orchestra were needed there. Like LIB, there's not a perfect mix of this track, but it's still a fantastic song.
Anybody who goes to see a psychiatrist needs their head examining.
Liam OSM
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby Bluebird » Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:33 am

This album should have been used instead of the original album. I love all the tracks, good idea to delete DI and MM and take DLMD instead of. Maybe he could have added " Old brown shoe"? and don´t forget "COme and get it"
Bluebird
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Steve-o » Mon Apr 26, 2004 12:55 pm

Biggest Paul Fan wrote:Maybe he could have added " Old brown shoe"? and don´t forget "COme and get it"
Did they run through those during the sessions?
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Bluebird » Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:23 pm

yep, both recorded in 1969. Old brown shoe was used as a b-side to The ballad of..
Bluebird
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Steve-o » Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:47 pm

Biggest Paul Fan wrote:yep, both recorded in 1969. Old brown shoe was used as a b-side to The ballad of..
I know when they were recorded. My question is, were BOTH songs played or rehearsed during the making of Let It Be?
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to The Beatles: Albums