REVIEW: HEY JUDE (UK STEREO LP) - Dr. Ebbetts

A discussion of all the Beatle albums

Moderator: Mike

Postby Beatle Bob » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:12 pm

By Beatle Bob

This will not be a full-blown review as I usually do because truthfully, this album has never been one of my favorite compilations from 1970 onward (Rock N Roll Music is) issued for the Beatles.

All these years, I always felt it was never an essential title to look out for when it was on vinyl. I do have a copy of the US issue transferred to CD, but truthfully never play it much. I really think the one thing that grabs at me more than anything else, is I just always loved this album cover!

Once again, Dr. Ebbetts faithfully and seemingly flawlessly transferred this UK first pressing (from 1979)--with these tracks sounding better than anything you'll hear on the legit CDs or from the US pressing of this album originally issued in 1970. It feels more open, spacious--filling your room with a soundscape better than the US issue--which is a plus for me as it helps add some enthusiasm that I lack for this album--though it's still not one I'll play that often.

The good Dr did another excellent job replicating the artwork and packaging as per usual. Immaculate really.

If you're looking for the definitive version of this album, this is the one to seek out.

Tracks:

1 - Can’t Buy Me Love
2 - I Should Have Known Better
3 - Paperback Writer
4 - Rain
5 - Lady madonna
6 - Revolution
7 -Hey Jude
8 - Old Brown Shoe
9 - Don’t Let Me Down
10 - Ballad of John and Yoko

Regards,
Beatle Bob
:)
Beatle Bob

Re: REVIEW: HEY JUDE (UK STEREO LP) - Dr. Ebbetts

Postby dylankyra » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:38 am

Beatle Bob,

Always a pleasure reading your reviews. I may not have caught all of your past reviews so I have 2 questions:

1) Have you ever ranked the Dr. Ebbett's releases that you've personally heard, from best to worst, and

2) Have you purchased Dr. Ebbett's MONO version of Ram and, if so, what'd you think of it?

Thanks for all you do!
dylankyra

Re: REVIEW: HEY JUDE (UK STEREO LP) - Dr. Ebbetts

Postby Beatle Bob » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:59 am

dylankyra wrote:Beatle Bob,

Always a pleasure reading your reviews. I may not have caught all of your past reviews so I have 2 questions:

1) Have you ever ranked the Dr. Ebbett's releases that you've personally heard, from best to worst, and

2) Have you purchased Dr. Ebbett's MONO version of Ram and, if so, what'd you think of it?

Thanks for all you do!

Hi!

I'm glad you've enjoyed my past reviews. I hope they've been helpful. I haven't purchased the RAM from Dr. Ebbetts but I hear pbhthal's version that's talked about on the Bootlegzone beats it by miles. BUT, I don't currently have it in my collection.

It's hard to rank the Dr. Ebbetts discs as their are so many variations, from MFSL, Parlophone, "Blue Box", "Red Box", audiophile pressings of certain titles, UK vs US pressings of certain titles, that it's impossible to "rank" one over another.
I do have favorites and it might be where it sounds like I'm now being hypocrital, but here goes:

Legit Catalog:

"Blue Box stereo" series
"Red Mono" series
Abbey Road Pro-Use disc
Abbey Road Brazillian Mono (fstere fold down but it kicks butt!)

Some bootleg titles he's issued:

Casualties
Collector's Items
Last Licks
Hollywood Bowl ('64 mono acetate created from the stereo tapes)

These are off the top of my head and I'm sure I'm not listing a few titles.

Regards,
Beatle Bob
:)
Beatle Bob

Return to The Beatles: Albums