::Revolver

A discussion of all the Beatle albums

Moderator: Mike

Re: ::Revolver

Postby mr h atom » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:11 am

i know exactly where the kitchen is...it's where my wife hangs out !! :oops:
...just another higher reachin' hillman !
mr h atom
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby beatlesfansunite » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:43 am

From the one, two, three, four count-in through to the climax of Tomorrow Never Knows, Revolver announced to the world that The Beatles of old were no more. Touring was in the past, the loveable moptops had grown up, and they were free to explore and push musical boundaries from within the studio.

Revolver paved the way for The Beatles' extensive experimentation on Strawberry Fields Forever, I Am The Walrus and Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. It is often considered to be the group's finest body of work, and showed all four members of The Beatles working together, equally, at their creative peak.

Revolver, The Beatles' seventh UK long player, was released on 5 August 1966, and three days later in the United States. It ushered in an era in which the group became increasingly interested in exploring production techniques in the studio.

The album was released just before The Beatles' final US tour in August 1966. None of its songs, however, were performed live. The group considered many of the songs too complex and unsuitable for live performance, during a time in which they were often unable to even hear themselves play above the screams of audiences.

Revolver was recorded at EMI Studios on Abbey Road, London. The Beatles considered recording it in America, but found EMI unwilling to put up the money required to do so.

Although The Beatles depended on EMI to fund recording costs, their 1962 contract with the company actually expired in June 1966 while they were making the album. Astonishingly, the group were technically not under contract with EMI when the album was complete; their new nine-year contract wasn't signed until January 1967.

It is inconceivable in this age that a group as powerful as The Beatles would essentially give away an album to a label, not least one as significant as Revolver. Additionally, the group had become dissatisfied with EMI by 1966, often complaining that the terms of the old contract left them at a financial disadvantage. Yet despite Brian Epstein's approaches to other labels, they decided to remain loyal to EMI. \:d/
Read more about the Beatles here at Beatles Fans Unite. Join for free and vote for your favorite Beatles.
beatlesfansunite

Postby lobbybobby » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:01 pm

The U.K. Revolver is the greatest album ever made by anybody. EVER.

Period.
a good friend of mine...follows the stars...
lobbybobby
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Craigerb » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:19 am

lb, How do you rate "I'm Only Sleeping", "And Your Bird Can Sing" and "Doctor Robert" within the other tracks on Revolver?
"And in the end/The love you take/Is equal to/The love you make."
Craigerb
Supporter
Supporter

Postby lobbybobby » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:49 pm

Sleeping I rate only above Yellow Submarine.

Dr. Robert is in the middle.

Bird for me is right up there with the best of the best of all Beatle tunes for me.

I know some don't love it, but for the life of me I don't know why.
lobbybobby
Supporter
Supporter

Postby efghijiloveyou » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:28 pm

Personally, I love every track. Not one bad moment on Revolver.
efghijiloveyou
Silver member
Silver member

Postby edrebber » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:26 am

Paul's songs are so much better than John's on Revolver, that it make John's songs look bad to many. Even George's three songs give John's a run for their money. Have any of Lennon's songs from Revolver turned up on any other compilation albums besides Anthology?
edrebber

Postby efghijiloveyou » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:20 pm

While Paul certainly has great songs on Revolver, I personally wouldn't be so quick to say Paul's songs are better than John's on this album. I think Revolver is the most well-rounded, satisfying Beatles album because it never wavers in quality. John's songs ("I'm Only Sleeping", "She Said She Said", "And Your Bird Can Sing", "Dr. Robert" and "Tomorrow Never Knows") are every bit as good as Paul's.
efghijiloveyou
Silver member
Silver member

Postby lobbybobby » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:29 pm

efghijiloveyou wrote:While Paul certainly has great songs on Revolver, I personally wouldn't be so quick to say Paul's songs are better than John's on this album. I think Revolver is the most well-rounded, satisfying Beatles album because it never wavers in quality. John's songs ("I'm Only Sleeping", "She Said She Said", "And Your Bird Can Sing", "Dr. Robert" and "Tomorrow Never Knows") are every bit as good as Paul's.

I agree 1000%

I love John's songs on Revolver
lobbybobby
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Craigerb » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:25 pm

"I'm Only Sleeping", "And Your Bird Can Sing" and "Doctor Robert" (the 3 songs on the U.K. Revolver but not on the U.S.) are among the weaker tracks. That's why I don't think the U.K. version is that much better than the U.S. one. The Anthology version of "And Your Bird Can Sing" is much better than Revolver's.
Last edited by Craigerb on Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
"And in the end/The love you take/Is equal to/The love you make."
Craigerb
Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to The Beatles: Albums