JACKIE LOMAX

Discussions of Beatle-related news & artists such as Badfinger, James Taylor, Mary Hopkins.

Moderator: Mike

JACKIE LOMAX

Postby theDingle » Thu May 22, 2003 5:08 pm

Anyone ever checked him out?

Back in '72, I got Jackie Lomax 3, lost track of it somewhere along the way, then just recently I picked it up, on mint vinyl, through eBay (he was with Warner Bros. by this time). I would have liked to have gotten it on CD, but it's hard to find, and on eBay it's usually a sky-high bidding war.

There's some excellent stuff on it. My particular favorite is a cut entitled Lavender Dream. Some of the guys from The Band play on the album, as well as John Simon, The Band's greatest producer (IMO).

I also got The Apple EP, a limited edition release with Mary Hopkin's Those Were The Days, Billy Preston's That's The Way God Planned It (pts. 1 & 2), Jackie Lomax's Sour Milk Sea, and Badfinger's Come And Get It.

I wasn't too impressed with Lomax on this one, but it is a decent song George wrote, and I think George might have delivered a better recording of it himself.

Discuss?
theDingle
Gold member :)

JACKIE LOMAX

Postby theDingle » Thu May 22, 2003 5:08 pm

Anyone ever checked him out?

Back in '72, I got Jackie Lomax 3, lost track of it somewhere along the way, then just recently I picked it up, on mint vinyl, through eBay (he was with Warner Bros. by this time). I would have liked to have gotten it on CD, but it's hard to find, and on eBay it's usually a sky-high bidding war.

There's some excellent stuff on it. My particular favorite is a cut entitled Lavender Dream. Some of the guys from The Band play on the album, as well as John Simon, The Band's greatest producer (IMO).

I also got The Apple EP, a limited edition release with Mary Hopkin's Those Were The Days, Billy Preston's That's The Way God Planned It (pts. 1 & 2), Jackie Lomax's Sour Milk Sea, and Badfinger's Come And Get It.

I wasn't too impressed with Lomax on this one, but it is a decent song George wrote, and I think George might have delivered a better recording of it himself.

Discuss?
theDingle

Postby DylansMrJones » Fri May 23, 2003 6:12 pm

I do have an acoustic Esher 1968 demo of George singing SOUR MILK SEA. I also have the Lomax version. Both are pretty good, but I wish Harrison would have recorded a proper loud rock version of the song!
DylansMrJones

Postby dsnito » Fri Jun 20, 2003 3:33 pm

Why didn't Lomax go so far in his career being an Apple's promise at the time?? He disappeared of the showbiz in the 70s, am I mistaken??

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby theDingle » Fri Jun 20, 2003 4:26 pm

Well, Mary Hopkin, James Taylor, Billy Preston and Badfinger did pretty well. You can't win 'em all. By comparison, I think Lomax was quite good, but he was not obviously as commercial as the others.
theDingle

Postby Boggle » Fri Aug 29, 2003 9:26 am

I just met Jackie Lomax at the Liverpool Beatles convention, he was very friendly and he also did a concert at the Cavern Club
Boggle
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Berkeleyan » Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:04 am

quote:Originally posted by DylansMrJones
I do have an acoustic Esher 1968 demo of George singing SOUR MILK SEA. I also have the Lomax version. Both are pretty good, but I wish Harrison would have recorded a proper loud rock version of the song!

I was reading about J. Lomax the other day and the personnel on "Sour Sea Milk" (album track)is amazing - Ringo on drums, Paul on bass, George & Clapton on guitars and Nicky Hopkins on piano !!!! I wonder whether or not his album had such greats (and others) on other tracks as well....
Berkeleyan

Postby theDingle » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:24 pm

I've since heard the Esher demo by George, (thanks 2-o'!) and am convinced that the Beatlles would have done a much better version. Though some of the Beats may have recorded it with Jackie, it still just doesn't have that polish, or something. Maybe they were just doing it as a friendly quick knock-off.

However, as I've listened to Jackie's Lavender Dream tune from '72, I can tell now that a major aspect of that song's appeal for me has everything to do with Garth Hudson, The Band's keyboardist. To me the guy was a genius on a Brian Wilson scale. I believe I'm correct in stating that he was the one that put the final touches to most all the Band's recordings, and he sure did his usual high-end handiwork on this tune.
8)
not shmingking of gin
theDingle

Postby 2 of 3 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:30 pm

You're welcome. :)
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Return to The Beatles: Related Discussions