Thousands of Rabbits to die....for eating grass!!

Discussions regarding charities and issues support by Paul.

Moderator: Mike

Thousands of Rabbits to die....for eating grass!!

Postby 2 of 3 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:51 pm

Where's macca and Ms Bardot when you need them most!? :wink:

Hunters are being paid a 20p bounty for each rabbit killed on Shetland.
The move comes after crofters and farmers reported severe damage to crops, particularly during the Easter breeding season.

The South Mainland Rabbit Control Society said shooting was the more humane way of cutting the numbers.

But Doreen Graham, of the Scottish SPCA told BBC Scotland: "Shooting is probably the best option, providing the person is a good shot."

"The Scottish SPCA likes to see agriculture in a strong financial state because animal welfare suffers if it's not."

Six rabbits can eat as much as a sheep in one day

Drew Ratter
Crofters Commission

A spokesperson for the South Mainland Rabbit Control Society said: "Anybody in the south mainland can join. The larger landowners have already signed up and anybody wanting to hunt should get their permission.

"The society counts the tails and the money is paid out once a month. We keep a tally of each person's tails and a record of where they were shot.

"We've got six or seven hunters at the moment. They do it for sport and pocket money."

Drew Ratter, of the Crofters Commission for Shetland and Orkney, said: "Six rabbits can eat as much as a sheep in one day.

"When you multiply that by thousands it is a considerable amount of food being consumed.

Thousands of rabbits died in the previous culls

"Shetland has had good summers recently and the rabbit population has multiplied tremendously fast."

Mr Ratter, who is also a Shetland Islands councillor, added: "The damage they can cause is huge, especially in an area like the south end of the island which is sandy. Rabbits can destroy huge areas of grazing."

A bounty has previously been operated on the island by the local authority.

Shetland Islands Council paid 25p per tail in 1990, and a total of 11,183 rabbits were killed.

The following year the bounty rose to 35p per tail, and the number shot rose to 15,607.

Really, I'm kidding. :)
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby ANGRY » Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:50 am

obviously...these brits have never seen 'monty python and the holy grail' !

don't mess with the Lepus !!

where's the new picture of p & h with the baby bunny ?!?

what if they miss and get one of those little ponies...do they get more ?

where is the outrage !! where is pam anderson !!!
ANGRY
Silver member
Silver member

Postby mi » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:34 am

Hello! Heather is recovering from a surgery in wheelchair, remember? They have other things in mind at the moment...
mi
Silver member
Silver member

Postby mi » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:34 am

Hello! Heather is recovering from a surgery in wheelchair, remember? They have other things in mind at the moment...
mi
Silver member
Silver member

Postby 2 of 3 » Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:28 am

Hey, what about all those rabbits that died to find out if you're pregnant? :shock:

2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru » Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:56 am

call me stupid, slow, dumb, whatever you want really, but I can't get my brain around this thred. I find the whole thing just way out there. :?
I go back so far... I'm in front of me!
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mi » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:11 am

2 of 3 wrote:Hey, what about all those rabbits that died to find out if you're pregnant? :shock:

???????? :? :? :? :?

mi
Silver member
Silver member

Postby femaleanimal » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:58 pm

2 of 3 wrote:Hey, what about all those rabbits that died to find out if you're pregnant? :shock:

:?
Yes, this is cruelty, which Paul and Heather would certainly be opposed to. Paul has campaigned about many forms of animal abuse - he has not singled out the seal hunt. He was a leading campaigner against fox hunting in Britain. I`m not quite sure why some Canadians seem to think he should be opposing animal abuse in all countries except their own.

Yes, Heather has just had major sugery and is in a wheelchair. But she will be back and campaigning sooner than many would like.
femaleanimal

Postby 2 of 3 » Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:10 pm

I guess I'm the only one who thinks it's funny that they are going to cull all those rabbits because they are eating too much pasture land, which is needed to feed the sheep....and then they will kill them too?

I guess I should have left Macca out of this, but the point is...humans kill animals all over the world and it doesn't end up on Larry King.
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Highamster » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:41 am

The difference is they need the grass to feed the sheep. You can't feed your sheep your grass if rabbits are eating it all of it can't you?

I don't get the problem here, Farmers have been killing rabbits and other pests for generations. I'ld rather see them get shot than have chemicals poured all over my vedge or some other new prevention method that could harm people.
Highamster
Bronze member
Bronze member

Next

Return to MACCA-Charities & Issues