McCartney: I'll never play in China

Discussions regarding charities and issues support by Paul.

Moderator: Mike

McCartney: I'll never play in China

Postby Mike » Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:08 pm

Sir Paul McCartney has said he will never perform in China after watching a secret video of dogs and cats being killed for fur.

The ex-Beatle was given a preview screening of undercover footage taken in a fur market in Guangzhou, southern China.

Dogs and cats are shown being thrown from the top deck of a converted bus onto concrete pavements.

In another piece of footage, cats are seen squirming inside a sack before being thrown into a vat of boiling water.

Smiling, laughing workers are also filmed senselessly beating the animals to death.

The report, which was filmed by an investigator linked to the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (Peta) campaign group, will be shown on Monday night on the BBC's Six O'clock News.

Sir Paul and wife Heather were close to tears as they watched the undercover report.

Sir Paul told the BBC: "This is barbaric. Horrific. It's like something out of the dark ages. And they seem to get a kick out of it. They're just sick, sick people.

"I wouldn't even dream of going over there to play, in the same way that I wouldn't go to a country that supported apartheid.

"This is just disgusting. It's just against every rule of humanity. I couldn't go there. If they want to consider themselves a civilised nation they're going to have to stop this."
Mike Kovacich
www.macca-central.com . . . . . . . . . . . . www.maccaradio.com
The Paul McCartney FUNSITE . . . . . . . . The Voice of The Beatles
Mike
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby Veghead » Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:19 am

I saw this on TV, it was horrific! You can see the interview with Paul and Heather and some of the footage here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-p ... 476664.stm

:(

Don't understand why people want to wear fur these days anyway...
Veghead

Postby talmat1958 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:13 am

Beyond the cruelty to animals, China still has some serious human rights issues that Paul could have mentioned, as well.

As PETA has uncovered, you can find plenty of barbaric footage of brainless, heartless morons abusing animals in this country, too, so the blanket comment condemning (or appearing to condemn ) ALL of China might not have been a smart tactic by Paul. In other words, his words might come back to haunt him.

But, I certainly share his anger and disgust at this type of activity.
talmat1958

Postby mi » Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:28 pm

I don't need to see it. I just think of my own two cats being boiled and skinned and it makes me shiver. I'm afraid to go to sleep...
mi
Silver member
Silver member

Re: McCartney: I'll never play in China

Postby Awesoman » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:04 pm

Wait...didn't Paul already play in China before?
Awesoman

Postby Paulo » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:48 am

Awesoman wrote:Wait...didn't Paul already play in China before?

well... Hong-Kong is China now... :)
Was that what you meant?
Paulo
Supporter
Supporter

Postby maccamania102 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:07 pm

Why punish a whole country and it's people for what an industry is doing? Is he banning Canada for the seal hunt? Japan for whale hunting? Was China an easy target because he never had an intention of going there?
maccamania102

Postby A. » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:35 pm

it is not okay to give concerts in china, where horrible things are done to animals.

It is however perfectly acceptable to give concerts in russia, where the head of state is a former KGB officer (didn' t Paul hold a meeting with Putin in 2004), where
there does not exist a free press, where people still dissapear without a trace from day to day beacuse they stood in a way of the goverment. A country in which army kills hundreds - if not thousands- people in Chechnya every year. a country, whose special forcess went all the way to London to murder its former employe, Litvinienko

C'mon Paul - don't give us all that... :x :x :x
A.

Postby fLaMiNg PiE » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:56 pm

I've never been the type to walk around going "peace and love... save the planet"... that type of thing, but recent media coverage has made me start thinking a little more (I'm 19... most my age aren't worried about much yet). First, documentaries such as Planet Earth really show you how wonderful the planet is, and how fragile everything is as well. That, on top of other media coverage such as the Planet in Peril series on CNN really opened my eyes. As relating to this topic, it spent a long while investigating practices in China - showed not only how their industries are destroying the atmosphere and earth (as are plenty of us, I know), but also how their beliefs and/or practices are eliminating so many endangered species. They showed all sorts of animals being captured and killed, such as sharks, bears, and all sorts, but the one that really hit me was the trapping of rhinos and tigers just for their paws. These animals would then just be left to die. Like I said, I've never been the type to really be into animal rights or anything, but coverage like this is really opening my eyes. Continuing on the China thread, they use these animals for food or medicines, even thought they have access to (better) modern medicine, though reject it. I have to say, I agree with Paul on this - please boycott China. If that's the case though, he really should just stop playing everywhere. American chicken farms, for example, decapitate live chickens (I think that was in the 1993 tour video actually) and things of that nature. Something is always happening somewhere...
fLaMiNg PiE

Postby lampie1970 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:11 am

fLaMiNg PiE wrote:American chicken farms, for example, decapitate live chickens (I think that was in the 1993 tour video actually) and things of that nature. Something is always happening somewhere...

or de-beak them so they don't peck each other to death because they are crowded in, or cows that have hooves that rot because they stand in feces and can't even walk around or pigs that live in a pen only big enough to lie down until slaughter. The practice of treating animals horribly exists in every country all in the name of cheaper meat on the table, or other reasons already stated...I am not really political, but it does start with an individual: supply is only provided to meet a demand.
I love the sound of Paul screaming in the morning...
lampie1970

Next

Return to MACCA-Charities & Issues