Listening Party for "Memory Almost Full" on HSN Ma

This forum is to alert fans when Paul pops up on TV, radio, magazines, newspapers, websites.

Moderator: Mike

Postby maccamania102 » Thu May 31, 2007 11:37 pm

gfgb123 wrote:Judging by the reviews of the HSN Show, I'm glad I missed it. It's good McCartney didn't show up. He probably raised an eyebrow when informed of this and declined to "whore" himself to sell music.

He shouldn't have left his poor cd there to whore itself either. This is one marketing idea he should have vetoed
maccamania102

Postby Paperback Writer » Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:32 am

SNOBS! :roll:
"Step on the gas and wipe that tear away,
One sweet dream came true today!"
Paperback Writer
Silver member
Silver member

Postby BruceMirken » Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:24 am

It's already done damage. There are several articles on the Web already making fun of Paul for this. And those will be read by people who wouldn't dream of watching HSN but might have bought the album. This isn't snobbery, it's common sense. In a parallel situation, some high-end luxury brands have found that selling their stuff in places like Costco actually hurt them due to the damage to their image. This is a reality of marketing, like it or not.
"I am an anti-imperialist. I am opposed to having the eagle put its talons on any other land." -- Mark Twain
BruceMirken
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby maccamania102 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:21 pm

BruceMirken wrote:It's already done damage. There are several articles on the Web already making fun of Paul for this. And those will be read by people who wouldn't dream of watching HSN but might have bought the album. This isn't snobbery, it's common sense. In a parallel situation, some high-end luxury brands have found that selling their stuff in places like Costco actually hurt them due to the damage to their image. This is a reality of marketing, like it or not.

Exactly. The articles were none to nice. And I had to agree with them.

Were the Beatles snobs for never letting their recordings be involved in cheap album compilations sold at Woolworth's and infomercials? They kept the integrity of their reputations and their art by being so snobby instead of making a fast buck.

From what I hear, the number of units sold was nil. A couple of thousand units for a 30 minute show? Not good. They usually sell that number of units on any given product in seconds.
maccamania102

Postby JennyWren » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:24 am

Was it cheezy? Yes. But will the appearance of MAF on HSN hurt Paul? I don't think so. I'm just not believing that very many people will adopt the view "Well, I was going to buy the album, but now that it's been on HSN, I guess I won't." That just doesn't make any sense.

As far as Paul getting dissed for the HSN thing---sadly, he gets dissed for everything he does. Doesn't matter what the topic is, there are always people out there ready to serve up a diss, no matter how unfairly.

It breaks my heart that the most stellar musical genious of our time can't get a fair shake from the media. But I guess he's pretty thick-skinned, ignores most of it and, thankfully, continues to do what he feels is right and true to himself.

JennyWren
JennyWren
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Laura » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:55 am

Yeah I watched it and I was on my computer at the same time.
they should of had more music .QVC might of done a little bit
better.But who knows.They didn't have the special edition on their
website.
Laura
Supporter
Supporter

Postby BruceMirken » Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:13 pm

JennyWren wrote:Was it cheezy? Yes. But will the appearance of MAF on HSN hurt Paul? I don't think so. I'm just not believing that very many people will adopt the view "Well, I was going to buy the album, but now that it's been on HSN, I guess I won't." That just doesn't make any sense.

As far as Paul getting dissed for the HSN thing---sadly, he gets dissed for everything he does. Doesn't matter what the topic is, there are always people out there ready to serve up a diss, no matter how unfairly.

It breaks my heart that the most stellar musical genious of our time can't get a fair shake from the media. But I guess he's pretty thick-skinned, ignores most of it and, thankfully, continues to do what he feels is right and true to himself.

JennyWren

Can't get a fair shake from the media? Puh-leeze. Most of the reviews of MAF are glowing. The L.A. Times just did a big, flattering interview with Paul. Do some people take unfair shots? Sure. As they've done at nearly every famous musician, actor and politician on the planet.

As for HSN, the point isn't that people who were ready to buy the album will decide not to because of this. It's that the legions of Beatle fans and others who haven't bought a McCartney record in a while and might have gotten intrigued by this will hear about the HSN thing and think of Cher's infomercial and never take the time to listen. Yeah, it's their fault for being so shallow -- but people ARE shallow. That's why record labels and everyone else selling consumer products have huge marketing departments.

This was a bad marketing move, plain and simple.
"I am an anti-imperialist. I am opposed to having the eagle put its talons on any other land." -- Mark Twain
BruceMirken
Bronze member
Bronze member

Previous

Return to MACCA In-The-Media