McCartney turns his back on Kintyre

This forum is to alert fans when Paul pops up on TV, radio, magazines, newspapers, websites.

Moderator: Mike

Postby I am the Paulrus » Tue Sep 21, 2004 4:22 am

Mon 20 Sep 2004

http://news.scotsman.com/scotland.cfm?id=1102412004

ANGUS HOWARTH

SIR Paul and Heather McCartney have confirmed that they won’t be visiting their Scottish retreat for their annual holiday amid growing speculation that the couple no longer visit the home the former Beatle shared with his late wife, Linda.

It emerged yesterday that that the couple, who married in 2002, have decided to take a month off, mainly in the United States, and will return to their London home next week without spending any time at the singer’s one-time favourite retreat on Kintyre.

McCartney’s affection for Scotland was strengthened by the time he spent at his Argyll home, High Park Farm near Campbeltown, after the traumatic break-up of the Beatles.

The musician credits the farm’s atmosphere for helping him overcome the depression he suffered after the split. He penned one of his most popular hits, Mull of Kintyre, in tribute to the serenity he found there.

McCartney was accused two years ago of snubbing the memory of his late wife after commissioning a £20,000 statue of Linda from the sculptor Jane Robbins, his cousin, and then missing the unveiling.

The singer’s daughter, Stella, made a private visit to the site in Campbeltown the following day, but her father was still on tour and to date it is not known if he has yet seen the work.

Yet the singer recently revealed that High Park Farm, which he bought as a tax break over 30 years ago before the break-up of the Beatles, was one of the few places he felt truly at home.

He said: "It has been like a little hideaway. It is a lovely place. I love it. I love the people up there. I can sort of breathe when I get up there, breathe pure air."

Despite his decision not to visit his Scottish home for the past two years, McCartney’s love of the country is not in doubt and only last week he joined protests against plans to "wreck" the Highlands with huge "ugly" giant electricity pylons.

Sir Paul and Linda were frequent visitors to Kintyre during her life. The couple and their children grew to love the solitude and freedom their remote property offered. Sir Paul converted to vegetarianism while living at the farm, and was controversially fined £100 for growing cannabis there.

It is understood he is still recovering from a very bad public split from his publicist of 15 years, Geoff Baker - a professional break-up that prompted Sir Paul to issue a statement last week denying that his wife was the cause of the parting. He said: "I find it very sad that after years of friendship, my publicist Geoff Baker and I are parting.

"It is particularly sad that he has chosen to attempt to implicate my wife Heather in this business and I can say now that she has had absolutely nothing to do with this. In fact, she has always been a great supporter of his."
I am the Paulrus
Silver member
Silver member

Return to MACCA In-The-Media