Ex-Beatle McCartney fires PR guru

This forum is to alert fans when Paul pops up on TV, radio, magazines, newspapers, websites.

Moderator: Mike

Postby I am the Paulrus » Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:50 am

Wednesday, 15 September, 2004

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/3658620.stm

Sir Paul McCartney has sacked his publicist of 15 years, Geoff Baker.
The former Beatle said he made the move because the "professional standards" of Mr Baker, a longtime friend as well as PR man, had fallen in recent months.

Sir Paul also denied what he said were "particularly sad" claims that his wife Heather wanted Mr Baker out.

Mr Baker, a former newspaper reporter, had dealt with Sir Paul's music and Beatles developments over the years. He declined to comment.

In a statement, Sir Paul said: "I find it very sad that after years of friendship, my publicist Geoff Baker and I are parting.

"Over the past few months, his behaviour has not reached the professional standards I had come to expect from Geoff and it is with regret that I am forced to end our relationship.

He added: "It is particularly sad that he has chosen to attempt to implicate my wife Heather in this business and I can say now that she has had absolutely nothing to do with this.

"In fact, she has always been a great supporter of his.

Assault allegations

"This is purely between Geoff and myself and I am sad to see it end in this way."

In September last year, Sir Paul "jokingly" sacked Mr Baker after an incident during a visit to David Blaine's box on London's South Bank.

Mr Baker, admitted he had "stupidly" tipped off a photographer about the visit. Sir Paul had sacked him on the spot but later reinstated him.

Police investigated allegations of assault following an alleged fracas with a photographer at the scene, but no proceedings were brought due to a lack of evidence.
I am the Paulrus
Silver member
Silver member

Postby 2 of 3 » Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:16 pm

I guess there's an opening at MPL then?....I seem to be available Paul, if you'd like to give me a call. 555-5555 :wink:
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby theDingle » Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:24 pm

Consider 2-o'-3 if you wish Paul, but seriously, I have excellent interpersonal skills, as well as conscientiousness and accuracy in discreet and appropriate wording when dealing with the public. I also am a ready and alert listener and have a healthy sense of proper self-esteem and thus can follow instructions well.

Erm, just one question: What the hell does a publicist exactly do? :? :lol:
not shmingking of gin
theDingle
Gold member :)

Postby Steve-o » Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:33 pm

I want to be Heather's personal assistant. Or maybe Mary's. Either way, I'll get to see Paulie AND the women in his life. :lol:
How Come No One Older Than Me Ever Seems To Understand The Things I Wanna To Do?
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby HeyJude » Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:34 am

Steve-o wrote:I want to be Heather's personal assistant. Or maybe Mary's. Either way, I'll get to see Paulie AND the women in his life. :lol:

LOL!
one sweet dream came true today!!!!!
4.6.2004 Leipzig
yay Anna!!!! :mrgreen:
HeyJude
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Cologne girl » Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:45 pm

None of you seems to care for the poor man - just thinking of how to fill the vacancy?? Now if the story is true (which it apparently is, if the BBC has it), I wonder what may he have done to end a professional relationship of 15 years? I mean most people probably go through a phase of not giving their very best at work, for whatever reasons (private problems, health problems, whatever), but if you are generally good at what you do (which he must have been), you don't get sacked straight away, do you?
It's the start of a journey
To a much better place
And this wasn't bad
So a much better place
Would have to be special...
Cologne girl
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Steve-o » Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:58 pm

Cologne girl wrote:None of you seems to care for the poor man - just thinking of how to fill the vacancy?? Now if the story is true (which it apparently is, if the BBC has it), I wonder what may he have done to end a professional relationship of 15 years? I mean most people probably go through a phase of not giving their very best at work, for whatever reasons (private problems, health problems, whatever), but if you are generally good at what you do (which he must have been), you don't get sacked straight away, do you?
I certainly wouldn't feel too sorry for him. He had a GREAT run....longer than most in that business. He'll land on his feet and if he was wise, he hopefully socked something away. As for the reason, it's none of our business, really.
How Come No One Older Than Me Ever Seems To Understand The Things I Wanna To Do?
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby theDingle » Sun Sep 19, 2004 1:41 am

Steve-o wrote:I certainly wouldn't feel too sorry for him. He had a GREAT run....longer than most in that business. He'll land on his feet and if he was wise, he hopefully socked something away. As for the reason, it's none of our business, really.
A sychophantic WAD, Steffo, lol.
Geoff is going out burning a bridge, which is not exactly gracious, and I am a little curious as to why, but I wish him well. 8)
not shmingking of gin
theDingle

Postby Berkeleyan » Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:06 am

Paul's disappointing album sales since God knows how long always made me think of how inept a publicist Mr. Bakes has been. Good riddance !
The Love You Take is Equal to the Love You Make
Berkeleyan

Return to MACCA In-The-Media