Rolling Stone's 50 greatest Artists of All Time

This forum is to alert fans when Paul pops up on TV, radio, magazines, newspapers, websites.

Moderator: Mike

Postby theDingle » Sat Apr 24, 2004 10:33 am

I was glad The Band made it in. I couldn't understand why lightweights got to write some of the tributes:

John Lennon by Lenny Kravitz ?
Jimi Hendrix by John Mayer ?

I've never been a super U2 or Springsteen fan. I thought they were passable, but the 'Stone has always covered them worshipfully. They could have matched a writer for Elvis' tribute better than having Bono do it, IMO.

I've never even heard Moby, but I thought he wrote one of the better tributes (Jerry Lee Lewis). The main ones I thought did a great writing job were:

The Beach Boys by Lindsey Buckingham
Fats Domino by Dr. John
Otis Redding by Steve Cropper
Nirvana by Vernon Reid
Smokey Robinson and the Miracles by Bob Seger
Chuck Berry by Joe Perry
Van Morrison by Peter Wolf

I thought it was funny that they had Little Richard do his own!
not shmingking of gin
User avatar
theDingle
Gold member :)
Gold member :)
 
Posts: 2539
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2003 1:32 pm
Location: USA

Postby Bluebird » Sat Apr 24, 2004 10:39 am

theDingle wrote:I was glad The Band made it in. I couldn't understand why lightweights got to write some of the tributes:

John Lennon by Lenny Kravitz ?
Jimi Hendrix by John Mayer ?!

Right. I´ve always thought that Lenny was amazed over Lennon.
You must appreciate the day...
User avatar
Bluebird
Platinum member
Platinum member
 
Posts: 9023
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:06 am
Location: Copenhagen - Denmark

Postby theDingle » Sat Apr 24, 2004 2:24 pm

Well, even the fact that Lennon made it in solo and not Paul is a stretch. The voters were listed at the front of the issue, but I find it a little hard to believe that enough of them voted John in. Sounds like an Editor-In-Chief agenda.

Costello's tribute on the Beatles was done well of course, and it seemed to me that he discretely managed to still give Paul some due extra credit. But all in all, it was great to see the Beats #1.
not shmingking of gin
User avatar
theDingle
Gold member :)
Gold member :)
 
Posts: 2539
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2003 1:32 pm
Location: USA

Postby Bluebird » Sat Apr 24, 2004 5:14 pm

Am I blind or Can´t I find Paul on the list :shock:
You must appreciate the day...
User avatar
Bluebird
Platinum member
Platinum member
 
Posts: 9023
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:06 am
Location: Copenhagen - Denmark

Postby theDingle » Sat Apr 24, 2004 6:05 pm

Biggest Paul Fan wrote:Am I blind or Can´t I find Paul on the list :shock:
Biggy, you can't find Paul on the list because the voters are blind---or deaf!
not shmingking of gin
User avatar
theDingle
Gold member :)
Gold member :)
 
Posts: 2539
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2003 1:32 pm
Location: USA

Postby Cologne girl » Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:57 pm

theDingle wrote:
Biggest Paul Fan wrote:Am I blind or Can´t I find Paul on the list :shock:
Biggy, you can't find Paul on the list because the voters are blind---or deaf!

You're ever so right - it's time for another of Steve-o's commercials for Q-Tips :lol:
It's the start of a journey
To a much better place
And this wasn't bad
So a much better place
Would have to be special...
User avatar
Cologne girl
Supporter
Supporter
 
Posts: 2205
Joined: Mon May 05, 2003 8:16 pm
Location: Far Far Away

Postby Bluebird » Sun Apr 25, 2004 5:55 am

Cologne girl wrote:
theDingle wrote:
Biggest Paul Fan wrote:Am I blind or Can´t I find Paul on the list :shock:
Biggy, you can't find Paul on the list because the voters are blind---or deaf!

You're ever so right - it's time for another of Steve-o's commercials for Q-Tips :lol:
He´s the damn best selling artist in the 70´s
http://www.republika.pl/uktop40/najlepsiukus7080.html Look there!
You must appreciate the day...
User avatar
Bluebird
Platinum member
Platinum member
 
Posts: 9023
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:06 am
Location: Copenhagen - Denmark

Postby Cologne girl » Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:08 pm

My Polish is somewhat ... deficient, but it was still interesting. But anyhow, the RS list was not about the "best selling" artists (which would have been an objective criterion), but about the "greatest artists", y'see. Who are they, the greatest artists? Obviously those considered as such by the self-appointed holders of the patent of Good Taste. But patents lose their validity after 20 years - and only time will tell if they were right about some doubtful inclusions and some other - more doubtful - omissions. I personally agree with Dr. Dingle - they seem to be in desperate need of some hearing aids.
It's the start of a journey
To a much better place
And this wasn't bad
So a much better place
Would have to be special...
User avatar
Cologne girl
Supporter
Supporter
 
Posts: 2205
Joined: Mon May 05, 2003 8:16 pm
Location: Far Far Away

Postby Bluebird » Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:23 am

Cologne girl wrote:My Polish is somewhat ... deficient, but it was still interesting. But anyhow, the RS list was not about the "best selling" artists (which would have been an objective criterion), but about the "greatest artists", y'see. Who are they, the greatest artists? Obviously those considered as such by the self-appointed holders of the patent of Good Taste. But patents lose their validity after 20 years - and only time will tell if they were right about some doubtful inclusions and some other - more doubtful - omissions. I personally agree with Dr. Dingle - they seem to be in desperate need of some hearing aids.
The greatest artist, can you see who have had biggest succes and most hits, and making most girls crying :lol:
You must appreciate the day...
User avatar
Bluebird
Platinum member
Platinum member
 
Posts: 9023
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:06 am
Location: Copenhagen - Denmark

Postby Steve-o » Fri May 14, 2004 7:38 pm

Cologne girl wrote: they seem to be in desperate need of some hearing aids.
Or perhaps a Q-Tip or 400. :wink:
How Come No One Older Than Me Ever Seems To Understand The Things I Wanna To Do?
User avatar
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter
 
Posts: 11077
Joined: Sat Apr 20, 2002 11:18 pm
Location: USA

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA In-The-Media

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron