Grammy Tribute to Beatles on Feb 8

This forum is to alert fans when Paul pops up on TV, radio, magazines, newspapers, websites.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Steve-o » Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:22 am

WOW..that grammy suit just brought the show to a screeching halt. Nice timing.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ram1 » Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:42 am

F**K!! I guess I'm eating my words, guys. I thought for sure there was gonna be something else because they said the "tribute" was gonna be an on-going theme throughout the show. So I thought the I Saw Her Standing There was just a little "warm-up." That's it?!You've got to be kidding me. Another boooooring Grammy show. I was waiting for at least SOME kind of surprise during the show (even non-Beatle). Weak.
Ram1

Postby Ram1 » Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:46 am

YES!!!! Some good news though. I just checked the Grammy website. George indeed WON Best Pop Instrumental Performance for Marwa Blues. I'm not sure if that award was televised or not..I stepped away for awhile. You go, George! YES!!!!
Ram1

Postby Steve-o » Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:47 am

Yes---weak. Like I said, I think the Prince thing was the "surprise", except that everyone knew he was there. They deserved alot more, since one hell of alot of the people there owe their careers to the Beatles and their unbelievable creatvity. We might still be listening to Frankie Avalon if not for them.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ram1 » Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:48 am

quote:Originally posted by Steve-o
Yes---weak. Like I said, I think the Prince thing was the "surprise", except that everyone knew he was there. They deserved alot more, since one hell of alot of the people there owe their careers to the Beatles and their unbelievable creatvity. We might still be listening to Frankie Avalon if not for them.

Total WAD, Steve. Well said.
Ram1

Postby Steve-o » Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:48 am

quote:Originally posted by Ram1
YES!!!! Some good news though. I just checked the Grammy website. George indeed WON Best Pop Instrumental Performance for Marwa Blues. I'm not sure if that award was televised or not..I stepped away for awhile. You go, George! YES!!!!
I dont think it was...only about 33% of the awards make it (the major ones). Good for GH!
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ram1 » Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:47 am

The "morning after", I'm even more dissapointed in the so-called "All-Star" tribute last night. Just a total let-down. Sting, Dave "Dancing" Matthews, that guy Pharell, and Vince Gill? That's it?! The way CBS advertised it, I was thinking it was going to be like a medley of songs with many more artists. CBS should be sued for false advertising. Or maybe I should be sued for being the King of Assumptions, LOL.
Ram1

Postby admiralvanderbilt » Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:12 am

From one of the "news" reports today:

"A tearful Ono, 70, said if Lennon were still alive he would: "Say it again, 'come together, give peace a chance and love is all we need'," echoing the words from one of the Liverpudlian pacifist's most famous songs."

Duh [?][:(!]
admiralvanderbilt
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Steve-o » Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:13 pm

quote:Originally posted by Ram1
The "morning after", I'm even more dissapointed in the so-called "All-Star" tribute last night. Just a total let-down. Sting, Dave "Dancing" Matthews, that guy Pharell, and Vince Gill? That's it?! The way CBS advertised it, I was thinking it was going to be like a medley of songs with many more artists. CBS should be sued for false advertising. Or maybe I should be sued for being the King of Assumptions, LOL.
We shall dub you KOA!!![:D] I think you should start a chain of campgrounds!! yeah...CBS duped ME into watching, whihc is what they wanted....I should have TIVO'd it, then ran thru it tonight..but of course, I was hoping for something special....
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ram1 » Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:35 pm

Rant on...So, I'm driving to work this morning and I have it on my local news station. (I flip between WTOP News and Golic and Greeny on 980 Sports. I'm worse in the car than I am at home with the remote control, lol.) Anyway, they have a little "piece" on last night's "tribute" and one of the "guest" reporters reminisces about how he met the Beatles after the Washington Coliseum show in '64. Then he goes on to mention how cool it was to see Paul and Ringo on the Grammys last night. He mentions Paul "holding the same guitar that he played on Sullivan", (insinuating that Paul played that acoustic on Feb. 9th, 1964), and then he says how cool it was that Paul strummed a few chords of "What was it? I think it was Let It Be." Ok, now these things may not be too big of a deal to some people, but I suppose being the "nit-picky" fan that I am, it gets under my skin. First of all, yes, Paul DID play that same guitar on Sullivan, but NOT on Feb. 9, 1964. No member of the band played an acoustic that night. Paul played Yesterday on that acoustic the FOLLOWING year. And second of all...."Let it Be"?? Erm..the song wasn't even released until 6 years later. Come on now folks. They should have MACCA FORUM members do the reporting for these kinds of segments. Arrgh![:(!] Rant off.
Ram1

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA In-The-Media