Geoff Baker "sacked" by Macca

This forum is to alert fans when Paul pops up on TV, radio, magazines, newspapers, websites.

Moderator: Mike

Postby admiralvanderbilt » Fri Sep 19, 2003 6:02 am

This is an extremely bizarre story just breaking. The below is from the BBC.

Sir Paul McCartney has allegedly fired his long-term publicist after a row broke out at a visit to the David Blaine stunt.
Police are investigating an alleged fracas between Sir Paul and a photographer during the visit at 0100 on Friday.

His publicist, Geoff Baker, admitted he had "stupidly" tipped off the photographer about the visit.

"Then Paul got cross with me and told me I was fired. He was incandescent," Mr Baker said.

Sir Paul came down to the stunt - where illusionist David Blaine is trying to spend 44 days without food suspended in a perspex box - after dining with friends in central London, Mr Baker said.

Mr Baker, Sir Paul's PR representative for 14 years, told London's Evening Standard newspaper Sir Paul did not want to have his photo taken as it was a "private visit".

But Mr Baker tipped off Standard photographer Kevin Wheal, who came down to the site of the stunt, on London's South Bank. Mr Wheal said he approached the star with his camera.

Assault allegations

"Then his friends - who seemed more like minders to me - grabbed hold of me and pushed my camera towards the ground," Mr Wheal said.

The photographer also said Sir Paul swore at him and pushed him to the ground.

Police are investigating allegations of common assault form both parties.

"Shortly before 1am today officers near the David Blaine stunt show became aware of a dispute between a group of friends, a photographer and other members of the public," a Scotland Yard spokesman said.

"Following the altercation we have received two counter allegations of common assault.

"The group of friends have alleged that they were assaulted by a man during the argument.

"He alleges that they assaulted him. Statements were taken at the scene. Walworth police are investigating and inquiries continue."
admiralvanderbilt
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby admiralvanderbilt » Fri Sep 19, 2003 6:02 am

This is an extremely bizarre story just breaking. The below is from the BBC.

Sir Paul McCartney has allegedly fired his long-term publicist after a row broke out at a visit to the David Blaine stunt.
Police are investigating an alleged fracas between Sir Paul and a photographer during the visit at 0100 on Friday.

His publicist, Geoff Baker, admitted he had "stupidly" tipped off the photographer about the visit.

"Then Paul got cross with me and told me I was fired. He was incandescent," Mr Baker said.

Sir Paul came down to the stunt - where illusionist David Blaine is trying to spend 44 days without food suspended in a perspex box - after dining with friends in central London, Mr Baker said.

Mr Baker, Sir Paul's PR representative for 14 years, told London's Evening Standard newspaper Sir Paul did not want to have his photo taken as it was a "private visit".

But Mr Baker tipped off Standard photographer Kevin Wheal, who came down to the site of the stunt, on London's South Bank. Mr Wheal said he approached the star with his camera.

Assault allegations

"Then his friends - who seemed more like minders to me - grabbed hold of me and pushed my camera towards the ground," Mr Wheal said.

The photographer also said Sir Paul swore at him and pushed him to the ground.

Police are investigating allegations of common assault form both parties.

"Shortly before 1am today officers near the David Blaine stunt show became aware of a dispute between a group of friends, a photographer and other members of the public," a Scotland Yard spokesman said.

"Following the altercation we have received two counter allegations of common assault.

"The group of friends have alleged that they were assaulted by a man during the argument.

"He alleges that they assaulted him. Statements were taken at the scene. Walworth police are investigating and inquiries continue."
admiralvanderbilt
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby admiralvanderbilt » Fri Sep 19, 2003 8:31 am

More from the good old BBC...

Sir Paul McCartney has told his publicist he was "joking" about sacking him after a row broke out at a visit to the David Blaine stunt.

His publicist, Geoff Baker, admitted he had "stupidly" tipped off the photographer about the visit - and that Sir Paul had sacked him on the spot.

Mr Baker released a statement on behalf of Sir Paul on Friday afternoon saying: "We were out to dinner with a few friends walking along the Embankment.

"One of the lads tipped off the press, who were watching a man in a sleeping bag in a box, that Paul was passing.

"Paul then continued to joke by telling his mate, who is his publicist, that he was fired.

"Paul then got into a car and went home. Reports that this was a fracas or anything other than a group of friends on a night out are heavily exaggerated."
admiralvanderbilt
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby jamie » Fri Sep 19, 2003 9:00 am

yes - ive just heard admiral - macca totally hates being photographed at anything private and it sounds like things got really heated
jamie
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby admiralvanderbilt » Fri Sep 19, 2003 9:38 am

The whole thing looks like a bit of a "storm in a teacup".

Notice the macca pattern of losing his temper, then making it out to be a joke to protect the good guy image - the usual self defence mechanism.

Reading Geoff Baker's comments, he certainly thought the sacking was for real. He definitely didn't get the impression his boss was joking...

Anyway, this just goes to show how quickly seemingly small incidents can get blown up when the media get hold of them. I don't blame Paul at all for trying to defuse the situation as quickly and calmly as he can.
admiralvanderbilt
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby single pigeon » Fri Sep 19, 2003 12:22 pm

It's very unlikley that Paul was joking at the time he said it he probably meant it. Looking at it after the fact he probably realised his haste in sacking geoff and tried to make light of it by saying it was a joke. We all know Macca has a reputation for being a hard man to work for, but if geoff did tip off the press about Maccas visit and he didn't want them there he's very lucky he isn't jobless right now!!!
Maccas not daft though, he knows he wouldn't be able to replace a bloke like Geoff easily and thats why he's retracted his statement, it has little to do with protecting his good guy image.
single pigeon

Postby Wings » Fri Sep 19, 2003 12:34 pm

quote:Originally posted by admiralvanderbilt
The whole thing looks like a bit of a "storm in a teacup".

Notice the macca pattern of losing his temper, then making it out to be a joke to protect the good guy image - the usual self defence mechanism.

Reading Geoff Baker's comments, he certainly thought the sacking was for real. He definitely didn't get the impression his boss was joking...

Anyway, this just goes to show how quickly seemingly small incidents can get blown up when the media get hold of them. I don't blame Paul at all for trying to defuse the situation as quickly and calmly as he can.

I agree.
Wings

Postby fletch » Fri Sep 19, 2003 2:34 pm

Paul loves his privacy I've heard. Sounds like a 'mountain is being made out of a molehil'. We've all said some things in the heat of the moment that we didn't mean.

On another note, how bout taking this experience and creating a new song? Anyone? My idea: "He Shoves You"... Lol, sorry I could not resist.
fletch

Postby jamie » Fri Sep 19, 2003 3:55 pm

you cant have a private visit to an event which is so public at the moment . sadly macca is not royalty [:D]
jamie
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Grillo » Sat Sep 20, 2003 6:20 pm

Geoff Baker is cool [:)]
Grillo
Silver member
Silver member

Return to MACCA In-The-Media