Macca :Guest Judge on Amercan Idol in Jan 04?

This forum is to alert fans when Paul pops up on TV, radio, magazines, newspapers, websites.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Ram1 » Fri May 09, 2003 10:33 pm

To be honest with you, I think this is a bad idea. This is PAUL McCARTNEY we're talking about here. Former Beatle, former Wing, best songwriter of all time. I usually don't think like this, but I think if Paul were to be on American Idol, it would DEEPLY tarnish his legend. Cheapen it even.
Ram1

Postby sleepyhollowgirl » Fri May 09, 2003 10:39 pm

I disagree.
sleepyhollowgirl
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Ram1 » Fri May 09, 2003 10:51 pm

Come on, think about it. The is PAUL McCARTNEY we're talking about here. Yeah sure, it is a fun little idea, and it would be wild to see Macca on a show like that. But come on. Paul would look like a chump, I'm sorry. Listen, I care about the way Paul is perceived. He gets enough flack from ignorant critics as it is. Think about the future when history looks back on Paul. I can see it now: "Paul McCartney....Beatle, Wing, composer, humanitarian...AMERICAN IDOL JUDGE. Bad idea I'm telling you. Bad, bad. bad.
Ram1

Postby Steve-o » Sat May 10, 2003 4:48 am

Although I still will believe it when I see it, I have always lamented the fact that on not ONE of these shows has there ever been a Beatle or solo Beatle song. Such an awesome body of work and such truly beautiful songs to choose from. I would love to see it. This is one of the few times we disagree, old buddy. I think with his personality, that he would come off very well. It's a hugely popular show and I would love to see his great work featured--even if it's his solo work only.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Brains » Sat May 10, 2003 8:57 am

In Holland one contestant did Yesterday...

Didn't Paul refuse to sing with Will Young on the Concert for the Queen, because he didn't believe in the "Idol" idea?

Btw, I can't help but kinda like Will's first song "You and I" [:I]
Brains
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Mike » Sat May 10, 2003 10:33 am

I have 2 area of thoughts on the IDOL.

It does give the chance of some talented people to 'make it'

BUT they way it's done with the hype in the audience with all signs and I wanna have your baby, marry me etc. is bulls**t hype.

Any person who lowers themselves to idolize people who 1 day before the shows airing they never knew existed is a tall tale sign of the lack of anything solid in their own lives. To be an audience contestant, you must be a member of the lonley hearts club I guess.

Now if Paul's a judge I wouldn't mind being in the audience only because of his presence, not to idolize complete strangers. All the luck to their careers but I practically vomit at the thought of manufactured groups, who have songs written and performed by people behind the scenes. For people in the music industry to get my respect enought to purchase one of their CDs, they can't just look good and sing allright, they must write their own material and actually play instruments on the record.

I don't think there is one, not one record of CD in my collection from one of these vocal only performers who don't write any material and I'm proud of that. Call me closed minded, I don't care. I just don't like some executive dictating to me what he thinks I want to listen to.
Mike
Gold member :)

Postby theDingle » Sat May 10, 2003 10:55 am

That scene gags me too. [V]
theDingle

Postby Steve-o » Sat May 10, 2003 12:28 pm

I like to watch the tryouts---hilarious stuff. The guy singing "Like a Virgin" this year was priceless. I dont much care about the rest of it. I do like to tune in now while I'm doing something else, and I have to admit some of it is kinda funny--it's like watching a train wreck sometimes--you can't look away. A few of them have some pretty nice pipes and it's nice to listen to at times...but would I buy the product? No. I was just saying I would think it would be fun to see Macca on the program. Does alot of it make me wanna gag? Most definately...but to have an evening hearing nothing but macca covers by amatuers sounds kind of fun to me. I don't take it very seriously....most people do, I guess.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby theDingle » Sat May 10, 2003 4:37 pm

Hmmm, you have a point there too, steve-O. It didn't occur to me that it has unintended comedy value, LOL.
theDingle

Postby bianca_macca » Sat May 10, 2003 5:02 pm

quote:Originally posted by Brains
In Holland one contestant did Yesterday...

Who did yesterday in Holland??? I didn't see the 'theatershows', maybe it was then.
By the way I think the Duth winner 'Jamai' is a serious loser. Typically Dutch to make such an non-idol the 'Idol 2003'. Two hours ago I saw the liveshows with all ten Idols-finalists. Nine people were better than the winner!!!
bianca_macca
Bronze member
Bronze member

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA In-The-Media