Paul on SNL Tonight

This forum is to alert fans when Paul pops up on TV, radio, magazines, newspapers, websites.

Moderator: Mike

Re: Paul on SNL Tonight

Postby derekjdavis » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:35 pm

linclink wrote:
flextint wrote:He did jet,band on the run and a day in the life/give peace a chance.I agree his voice does need a rest.But i still enjoyed it.

He did those three, and one more...Here's an extra video with them closing the show with "Get Back" as well as the other three...
"Get Back"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-yJ9xIcIvw
"A Day In The Life/Give Peace A Chance":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e00nq64v8Do
"Jet":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWHWt-Ox4ws
"Band On The Run":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dt3RccVhqM

And here's an abbreviated version of the episode at Hulu (I've only seen "Jet" & "Band On The Run" as being included):
http://www.hulu.com/watch/200142/saturd ... -paul-rudd

I think that was the best version on BOTR I've ever heard from Paul!
Getting Better All The Time
derekjdavis

Postby linclink » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:51 pm

I have to say that I think it was a truly lousy sound mix that was primarily to blame, and that "Get Back" & "A Day In The Life"/"Give Peace A Chance" were the better numbers, but overall is was certainly a sub-par live performance.
I saw him in '09 & twice in '10, & he was absolutely brilliant both times, but I have to say that I've seen a few lesser things on youtube, etc. over the past few years, and this was one of them.
I thought his speaking voice sounded a little horse of Jimmy Fallon, and that "Here Today" wasn't a great performance either. This doesn't bode well for the NYC show on Dec. 13th, but you never know maybe he'll rest his voice & bounce back.
Om Namah Shivaya !!!!
linclink
Silver member
Silver member

Location: Canandaigua, New York, USA, Earth, Cosmos of Light & Love

Postby jgkojak » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:47 am

It was a VERY bad sound mix - Wix's keyboard was WAY too high in Jet - and you have to think that they just didn't have a good monitor mix coming back at them - a couple of the off pitch moments seemed like they were caused because Paul couldn't hear himself (try singing with and without monitoring and see how much better you do).

Also - not sure I get the marketing people - no one is gonna buy BOTR because they think "hey! I forgot about Jet!" People MAY if they hear 1985 and think "damn! that's a nice song! Where can I get that?"
Everyone's talkin' 'bout the President
We all chip in for a bag of cement
jgkojak
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Awesoman » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:10 am

I felt Paul's voice was more or less about as good as it has been of late. It was just a bad sound mix. The sketches he appeared in were kind of lame; none of them came close to the sketch he appeared in last time with Chris Farley.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Awesoman

Postby paulringojohngeorge » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:27 am

paul was great and about his voice, he just cought a cold. it's been very cold here in new york. he was fantastic
paulringojohngeorge

Postby Mike » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:11 pm

Paul is old school, using the traditional speaker monitors in front of him. On a large open stage, that's great cuz of natural sound isolation of open air but on a crowded stage it's does present problems. The band was on top of each other, they had rehearsal time, they are pros this couldn't have been a surprise. The mix was terrible for Jet for sure. Blame game, is Paul's sound guy or the union sound guy they were probably forced to use at NBC ? Don't know why he doesn't use an ear bud type of monitor, they are so good. If he cares to listen back of that performance and the band do a self critique, in my opinion this would be at the top of the list.
Mike Kovacich
www.macca-central.com . . . . . . . . . . . . www.maccaradio.com
The Paul McCartney FUNSITE . . . . . . . . The Voice of The Beatles
Mike
Gold member :)

Postby mr h atom » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:53 am

cringeworthy...?!
other than the obvious fact that his voice was a bit more ragged than it seems to have been lately, and the band seemed a bit constrained from the limitations of the stage size...the performances were as spot on as i've seen 'em, especially for a tight, well tuned band that knows these bits inside and out.

as so many have said, the sound mix seemd off to me: i agree that 'ditl/gpac' & 'gb' sounded much better..

as for paul being a shadow of his former self..well, there is a perfect solution for 'fans' who can't get past the reality of time passing all of us by: turn off, tune out, and go live in the past.
it's, apparently, the only thing some people admire.

seems to me, from i heard, the audience seemed to have loved the performances...if i was sitting 40 feet in front of the band (for free !), i would've, too
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom

Postby stuart7 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:35 pm

Jet was cringeworthy on SNL but Macca was great at the Apollo, so I don't know what's going on...Stuart
stuart7

Postby 2 of 3 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:20 pm

Somebody was dreadfully off key singing the ooooh ooooh oooh backup vocals on Jet. It's safe to say, who ever it was could not hear themselves.
The World is a tangled up necklace of Pearls
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mike » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:58 am

The too old to perform crap is so ridiculous, not even going to comment on that thread. All these guys are pros and we know they can all sing as their voices are heard on all their solo efforts. We all know Paul can still put out a straight out tight and right on vocal performance night after night. Many of us, seen this first hand many times, from row 1 to whatever.

To me it is very obvious, yes, if you can't hear yourself quite proper, you can easily mess up. This was quite evident on Jet. The mix on all the songs was not the best, but Jet was the worse. Saying that, now I do think Paul took a few shortcuts on the bass playing for A Day in the Life. I heard it got messed up during rehearsal, but this goes to show, Paul wanted to do this and Give Peace A Chance in NYC on SNL as a John tribute. Nothing was going to stop that. That's gutsy, Paul is usually the perfectionist, drop it if it doesn't feel right. Of all the hundreds of solo songs he could have choose and all The Beatle songs, he did those.
Mike Kovacich
www.macca-central.com . . . . . . . . . . . . www.maccaradio.com
The Paul McCartney FUNSITE . . . . . . . . The Voice of The Beatles
Mike

Previous

Return to MACCA In-The-Media