Non-Paul fans and the Back in the US TV special

This forum is to alert fans when Paul pops up on TV, radio, magazines, newspapers, websites.

Moderator: Mike

Postby ElectricKeithery » Mon Dec 02, 2002 5:00 am

The day after the Back in the US special, it seemed like everyone I was working with came up to me and was like 'did you see that Paul McCartney thing on TV last night?' Of course, I did. But what amazed me was most of their replies, admitting they either watched the whole thing or watched parts of it. Maybe our man needs to get out on the tube a bit more often........

Keith
ElectricKeithery

Postby ElectricKeithery » Mon Dec 02, 2002 5:00 am

The day after the Back in the US special, it seemed like everyone I was working with came up to me and was like 'did you see that Paul McCartney thing on TV last night?' Of course, I did. But what amazed me was most of their replies, admitting they either watched the whole thing or watched parts of it. Maybe our man needs to get out on the tube a bit more often........

Keith
ElectricKeithery

Postby Aujouret » Mon Dec 02, 2002 5:05 am

Hey, sounds like a good idea to me.
Can never have too much of Paul.
Although I hope he takes a lovely long rest and plays with the lovely new wife.
Lord knows he deserves it.
Non Paul fans are just too wierd anyway.
They are usually kind of crabby and negative.
Aujouret
Silver member
Silver member

Postby DylansMrJones » Mon Dec 02, 2002 10:44 am

There are people who really dislike Paul intensely. I've attempted to reason with some of these Anti-Maccas but they seem to have their minds made up. Some of them feel that Paul can't rock. They haven't forgotten the days of Say Say Say. I must admit, Paul kinda lost me there too. Some of the Anti-Maccas are upset that Paul has finally learned to embrace his Beatles' past. They say things like "He really shouldn't be playing all those Beatles songs. He must think he's the Beatles. " Others say "Paul McCartney is nothing more than a weak nostalgia act, resting on the laurals of The Beatles."

I say that Paul can and DOES rock. And Paul was an important part of the Beatles. He has every right to get up there and play HEY JUDE. He tries his best to give his fans what they want. Maybe he misses the mark on occasion, but he's human. I may be missing the mark here and there as well! I don't think Paul thinks he is The Beatles. But he was one of their voices, and he's very proud of what The Beatles did. I dare say that Paul is probably one of the Beatles' biggest fans! You can see it all over his face when he's playing live. You can tell that he's thrilled to be playing these great classic Beatles songs on the stage. Many of them weren't even performed live by the Beatles. Paul is giving his fans the closest possible thing to the Beatles that he can, while still maintaining his post-Beatles work as well. A weak nostalgia act???? Well, maybe 75% of his shows are nostalgia, but it's certainly not weak. Nostalgia is a great thing, especially when you're dealing with something as timeless as great music. Paul loves these songs. His fans love these songs. He gets quite a rush seeing how much people love these songs. When Paul and his fans get together because Paul and his fans love the Beatles - what's wrong with that????? I've even heard people complain that Paul makes money buying up publishing rights to songs, like the Buddy Holly catalog. It's a perfectly legit way of earning income. I suppose some of the Anti-Maccaism comes from people being jealous of his fame & fortune. A guy I work with said he watched part of the special but found it sickening the way Paul relys on his Beatles past to get attention. Coming from someone without much of a past, I didn't really let it bother me!

I met a guy who said "There's something creepy about McCartney, like he's up to something evil." He wasn't able to back it up with anything.

Anyway, these are my thoughts...he sure does carry that weight, doesn't he?
DylansMrJones

Postby Liam OSM » Mon Dec 02, 2002 10:49 am

Here, HERE, DMJ!
Liam OSM
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby Steve-o » Mon Dec 02, 2002 11:45 am

After all--they are his songs and he did spend the better part of 20 years avoiding them. An oldies show--NOT. He is not out there with 3 J,G & R clones calling himslef "The Beatles" like countless and i mean COUNTLESS other acts do. He pays reverence to his older songs and has 40 years of material to fall back on--and it's just not average stuff we are talking about here--this is all classic stuff. The only man I want to hear sing Hey Jude is Sir Paul himself. Paul bashers abound--even on this board. SOme folks don't get it--their loss, not ours. Rock on MACCA!!
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Aujouret » Mon Dec 02, 2002 4:05 pm

Yeah, we are with you, Mr. Jones.
Don't have to convince us.
We KNOW!
Some people are also so jealous if other people find something which makes them SO HAPPY THEY COULD JUST BURST!!!!
I mean, ya can see how jealous and snotty they are if you are that happy.
So wierd...[:)]
I had a coworker say that to me 2 days ago.
"You are too happy"
What the hell is that?
Aujouret
Silver member
Silver member

Postby megs » Mon Dec 02, 2002 5:56 pm

i get that alot too[:D]
megs
Supporter
Supporter

Postby scrodfish256 » Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:22 am

All my friends family and co-workers know that i'm a mccartney freak.
I got about 5 calls the night of the abc special from people telling me it was on. I heard all posistive things the next day from a lot of people. My cousin even made me bring the dvd to her house to watch it with her. She went and bought the cd the next day.[:)]

I just love introducing new fans to paul's music.
scrodfish256
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Chris Speers » Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:29 am

As a 2nd generation fan born after the White album but before Abbey Road, I grew up like most of you with a lotta of Macca haters. I'm used to it by now but when i was in H.S. the big bands were the Police, U2, Tears for Fears - and i liked all of them. But, the Beatles in the late 70's to late 80's were hated by nearly everyone in my age group especially Paul McCartney.

If you were to study the groups that were artfully drawn on the back of notebooks, there was a lot of Ozzy, Def Leppard, Motley Crue, and Guns n Roses going around. Nobody i knew grew a sick detailed logo of "Wings" either on the back of a tee-shirt or the back of their spiral notebooks. Maybe, somebody drew "Cook of the House" or something like that. ...

So, all the anti-Paul feedback is just part of the gig. When people say he's lame or that he wrote crappy songs with Michael Jackson, i don't try to get into a "crossfire" discussion of the way Paul rocks or his potential for greatness. I just don't try to convert the stupid and the ignorant - i change the subject cause it isn't worth it. It wasn't until the mid 90's that the Beatles were given their "props" in terms of my generation (kids born after '69-'75 age group) - Funny, there are a lot of inner city kids that i work with who never heard of Pepper, White album, etc.
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Next

Return to MACCA In-The-Media