Drums on Hello Goodbye

Discussions related to Ringo Starr as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Postby theDingle » Sat Apr 17, 2004 9:22 pm

Cologne girl wrote:Just one question: as English is not my mother (or father) tongue, I don't quite know the meaning of the word "rock". From what I had read so far, I thought in modern English it was just the opposite of "suck", i.e. when a song or an album ROCKS, it is just great music, not necessarily hard rock as a style. Is that correct?

Hey, good question. As I understand it, CG, ROCKS can mean both at the same time and it can mean one rather than the other. I think kylers means both, erm, right, k-man? :?:
not shmingking of gin
theDingle
Gold member :)

Postby kylestyle » Sat Apr 17, 2004 10:05 pm

Oh yes, definitely, a bit of both. To me, rock music has to have an element of something sexy, something dirty, something groovy, some mojo in it, regardless of how "hard" or how "metal" it is. To me, Probot has that kind of mojo about it where you can shake your head and ass off to it, just like you can with an old blues track, or a Foo Fighters track, or a Nirvana track, or the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, or Placebo, or The Strokes, or Eddie Cochran. It really doesn't matter what style it is. The definition of rock music has shifted over the years as styles change, so it's hard to make a hard-and-fast rule on what-is-rock-and-what-isn't-rock, so it just comes down to how it emotionally takes you to a place of freedom.

So, when it comes to DR, I can understand people loving it as a "rock" album. That's cool, because it does something for you personally / internally. But for me, it doesn't have any of that dirty, smelly sexy rock connotation that you just wanna get your rocks off to it, (with the exception of a few songs) it almost feels like an asexual album to me. It needs a "Girls School" or an "Oo You" or a "Soily" or "Beware My Love". What do we get instead..."Spinning On An Axis"!! :lol: Even the likes of Matchbox Twenty and John Mayer have more raw sex power than that song. Remember the true definition of rock and roll was African American slang for having sex....and no matter how extreme the styles get..the definition still holds true today. It all boils down to "can you get your rocks off to it", no matter how "hard-edged" the music is.
I needed comfort of love just to get me some piece of mind.. wo-oh
kylestyle

Postby Ram1 » Sat Apr 17, 2004 10:41 pm

kylestyle wrote:Sigh, Ram1, fine, you are entitled to your opinion. I'm not going to argue with it. If DR rocks for you, then good. I'm done talking about DR.

No need to huff, babe. Nothing really to argue about. It's fact that you can't compare Dave Grohl or Metallica to Paul McCartney and Driving Rain. It's just not the same category.
October 8th, 2005....The BEST show EVER!!!!
Ram1

Postby theDingle » Sat Apr 17, 2004 10:46 pm

Hmmm, now that you mention it, kyle, it seems to me that most of Macca's catalog generally leans more towards the emotional and sentimental, the addictive high and feverishness of new true love, and nostalgia, rather than to the baser urges.

But he has done the latter very well, in the songs you mentioned, and in others like Eat At Home, Hi Hi Hi, Letting Go, 1985, etc.

Albums like Rushes, Macca II, and LSC give him the opportunity to generate some enjoyable madness. Insanity can be FUN!!! :twisted:

But I suppose the loneliness and sting of becoming a widower and then finding Heather played a large part in steering the mood of Driving Rain, as Steve-o says. I imagine losing a mate can be rather emasculating. In real life the sex vibe gets diminished by such things. Then again, "Let's go for a drive.." could be an ambiguous statement for the nasty! Whatever, Driving Rain is Paul giving us his 'zup! Dis is me NOW! It what it BE!

Ain't this the Drumming Hello Goodbye thread? lol :? :D
not shmingking of gin
theDingle

Postby kylestyle » Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:23 pm

No need to huff, babe. Nothing really to argue about. It's fact that you can't compare Dave Grohl or Metallica to Paul McCartney and Driving Rain. It's just not the same category.

No huff, dude. :) I firmly placed my criteria (for a definition of rock music), and it has nothing to do with style / category, but simply what gets your rocks off. We could throw classical and jazz music in as well...shouldn't we be celebrating eclecticism after all? This is what Paul McCartney was so good at, to encapsulate a bit of every style somewhere in his catalogue, and that's what I loved about him so much. Driving Rain does have a lot of different elements and that's good. But yeah, it's just not "my" kind of rock music anymore. :(

Albums like ... Macca II .... give him the opportunity to generate some enjoyable madness. Insanity can be FUN!!!

Yes! Songs like Temporary Secretary and Darkroom are VERY sexy to me. Therefore, according to my definition of rock music, they rock very hard, even though on the surface they would not be regarded as "rock" songs. Even a song like "What's That You're Doing" rocks very hard for me because of the funky rhythms and arrangements involved, and the highs and lows of the melody sung by Paul and Steve.

But I suppose the loneliness and sting of becoming a widower and then finding Heather played a large part in steering the mood of Driving Rain, as Steve-o says. I imagine losing a mate can be rather emasculating. In real life the sex vibe gets diminished by such things. Then again, "Let's go for a drive.." could be an ambiguous statement for the nasty! Whatever, Driving Rain is Paul giving us his 'zup! Dis is me NOW! It what it BE!

I do agree with this. Even though it's not a Macca album I like particularly, I do appreciate the vibe and the circumstances of all the songs. Actually, one of the sexiest songs for me on the album is "Heather", simply because the arrangement has a "galloping off into the sunset" feel about it. Freedom. New life, new love etc. My estimation of Driving Rain is that there is half the album I dig, and the rest I don't dig, much in the same way some of you feel about Red Rose Speedway. We humans are strange beings indeed, as they say...there's no accounting for taste!

Ain't this the Drumming Hello Goodbye thread?

Yes...enough of this little side-issue, given that it sprung from something I picked up about Ghavi's post about Led Zep and a casual recommendation to try some Probot for some great rock sounds. It was never meant to be a point of discussion, just a take-it-or-leave-it type comment.

Well I still enjoy Ringo's solid style on this song, and the production of the drums is very good too, you can almost hear the squeak of the kick drum pedal as it thumps along - nice, clear, forthright, no messing about. That's what I loved about Ringo's style. Sure, Phil Collins once remarked that Ringo's fills on the likes of Day in the Life are almost impossible for another drummer to emulate - and that is true, he had an unmistakably original style, but I like the way he just laid a beat down, it didn't need to be complicated, he just did it and it sounded great.
I needed comfort of love just to get me some piece of mind.. wo-oh
kylestyle

Postby Ram1 » Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:41 am

kylestyle wrote: This is what Paul McCartney was so good at, to encapsulate a bit of every style somewhere in his catalogue, and that's what I loved about him so much.

The past tense is interesting there. He IS still alive and making great music, ya know. :wink:
Ram1

Postby Steve-o » Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:35 am

Ram1 wrote:The past tense is interesting there. He IS still alive and making great music, ya know. :wink:
WAD, Ramster. Driving Rain is a PERFECT example. It was interesting watching the crowd in the concerts of 02. Some acted as if he stopped making music after 1965....some after 1970...some after 1979. You could tell from some of the comments...during "C Moon".."Must be a new one...I'm getting a beer". It cracks me up. It's much better to live in the present. He IS making great music today. And it is great stuff. 'nuff said.
How Come No One Older Than Me Ever Seems To Understand The Things I Wanna To Do?
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ram1 » Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:02 am

Steve-o wrote:
Ram1 wrote:The past tense is interesting there. He IS still alive and making great music, ya know. :wink:
WAD, Ramster. Driving Rain is a PERFECT example. It was interesting watching the crowd in the concerts of 02. Some acted as if he stopped making music after 1965....some after 1970...some after 1979. You could tell from some of the comments...during "C Moon".."Must be a new one...I'm getting a beer". It cracks me up. It's much better to live in the present. He IS making great music today. And it is great stuff. 'nuff said.

LOL, WAD Stevaroni!! Although, as a whole, the DC crowd was deafening with their applause and love for Paul, there were still moments that totally IRKED me too. Like 5 claps when Paul announced the DR songs. Practically silence, (I'm not kidding, I have the recording), when he started C Moon. And yes, the same comments in DC. ("New song?" Followed by puzzled looks.) The couple next to me were talking before the show, wondering if Paul had "put out a new album" recently. And the same couple actually LEFT I think after like the first encore. How do you freakin' leave a freakin' PAUL McCARTNEY concert?? Unreal. As a "hardcore" fan, you almost feel like there should be "requirements" in order to purchase tickets. Okay, at least TWO requirements: 1. You are aware that Paul has a new album out, and you actually own it. And 2. (Actually related to #1), That his career didn't end in 1982 after Ebony and Ivory. Those two points considered, I think those are the minimum requirements and you should be able to buy Paul McCartney tickets, lol. It WAS extremely cool though to see so many parents bring their kids to the show. Generation after generation, this man's music transcends it all. YES!!!!
Ram1

Postby Ram1 » Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:24 am

By the way....I LOVE Paul's publicity shot for the upcoming summer tour. (The one where he's pointing at the camera with an Elvis-like snarl). VERY cool, and our 'ol Macca is looking GREAT!!!!
Ram1

Postby Maestri09 » Sun Apr 18, 2004 2:22 pm

concerts like that, with established acts, have always been the same. They go for the name, they go for the memories and that's about it.

Also, Paul McCartney has not been a legitimate "rocker", for all intents and purposes, since 1965. Since he recorded "yesterday". From then on, the majority of his work has been on pop melodies, love songs, and acoustic work. In his solo years, I don't think he ever released a completely rock based album (I don't think btte qualifies), with the possible exception of "run devil run" and then that kind of rock music is light years behind anything played now.
Maestri09
Bronze member
Bronze member

PreviousNext

Return to RINGO