Drums on Hello Goodbye

Discussions related to Ringo Starr as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Bluebird » Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:16 am

Ringo it´s just drums, percussion and paukes :mrgreen:
You must appreciate the day...
Bluebird
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby kylestyle » Fri Apr 16, 2004 5:45 am

I have to agree with Brains on this thread. The Driving Rain album (with the exception of Rinse the Raindrops and About You) does not "rock". If you want rock, listen to some Probot, man. However, as live performers, the band is a different beast altogether, and Abe and the other members form a powerhouse, some amazing performances, in some cases superceding the Wings and Beatles versions.

There is a problem despite this. You soon get the feeling that as much as they are a truly great live band, they to all intents and purposes are just forming a "jukebox" backdrop while Paul runs through his repertoire. A great jukebox all the same, and this is no disrespect to them because they do do a great job.

On the subject of Ringo vs Abe....hmmmmm taking the scenario given by Maestri09...it would be a tough choice, and in the end you would probably go for the person who fitted in best on a personal level (someone you could easily have a beer / chat with, and their level of committment) rather than pure technique. I think that goes to show in the final analysis it doesn't matter "who would blow who away". Ringo's contribution to The Beatles is proven to be worthy regardless. I wonder how you guys would be talking if they decided to persevere with Pete Best? These things happen in life...their talent alone may not be worthy of legendary status, but the sum of the parts always shows through in the end.

I want to see another studio album from the "Driving" band before I pass judgement on Abe. I think he's great live, doing all those Beatles and Wings classics - the things he does on Hello Goodbye and Hey Jude are magic! I wanna see that same energy on a Macca album. I only heard that on a couple of Driving Rain tracks. That's not Abe's fault, it's partly the songs going-through-the-motions and partly the lack of production / arrangement polish. It would be nice to see Paul get serious once again with say big brassy horn sections and things like that. These days he just twiddles about with acoustic guitars and strumming E minor to c to f and back to c again rather than writing a Penny Lane / Let Em In.
I needed comfort of love just to get me some piece of mind.. wo-oh
kylestyle
Gold member :)

Postby Steve-o » Sat Apr 17, 2004 1:25 am

kylestyle wrote:The Driving Rain album (with the exception of Rinse the Raindrops and About You) does not "rock". If you want rock, listen to some Probot, man.
No thanks. I'll stick with the AWESOME ROCKING Driving Rain, thank-you very much. It does indeed rock. But we'll never agree on that point, I'm quite sure. :wink:
How Come No One Older Than Me Ever Seems To Understand The Things I Wanna To Do?
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby kylestyle » Sat Apr 17, 2004 5:16 am

...but Dave Grohl is the drumming genius and brainchild of Probot. Ghavi at the top of the page, mentioned Led Zeppelin shows with Dave on drums (or Zak). Any further word on this?
kylestyle

Postby Steve-o » Sat Apr 17, 2004 9:58 am

kylestyle wrote:...but Dave Grohl is the drumming genius and brainchild of Probot. Ghavi at the top of the page, mentioned Led Zeppelin shows with Dave on drums (or Zak). Any further word on this?
And your point would be.............?
How Come No One Older Than Me Ever Seems To Understand The Things I Wanna To Do?
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby kylestyle » Sat Apr 17, 2004 10:27 am

No point, just making polite conversation, just interested in general music gossip. I was directing this question at Ghavi (or any other interested parties). I love Led Zep and I love Dave Grohl's drum style and I think Dave would do really really well in JB's shoes and was just wondering if anyone (Ghavi / anybody) had heard any more on this...:cry:
kylestyle

Postby Steve-o » Sat Apr 17, 2004 1:25 pm

kylestyle wrote:No point, just making polite conversation, just interested in general music gossip. I was directing this question at Ghavi (or any other interested parties). I love Led Zep and I love Dave Grohl's drum style and I think Dave would do really really well in JB's shoes and was just wondering if anyone (Ghavi / anybody) had heard any more on this...:cry:
The last rumour that I heard was just concerning The Who possibly working on some tracks, with (I think) Zak on drums. I've heard nothing on LZ though. Ghavi doesn't get round here much, really.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ram1 » Sat Apr 17, 2004 1:49 pm

Steve-o wrote:[]The last rumour that I heard was just concerning The Who possibly working on some tracks, with (I think) Zak on drums.

The new release "The Who: Then & Now" is coming out soon. It's basically a greatest hits album with two NEW studio tracks at the end. I can't wait to hear them. I'm guessing they're still working on a brand new full-length, but I'm not sure.

Oh yeah....and Driving Rain does INDEED rock. Kyle, I'm a HUGE (did I say HUGE??) fan of Dave Grohl's drumming. Not to mention Nirvana in general. But so what? You can't compare a Dave Grohl project to Paul McCartney. It's a different style. That's like saying Driving Rain doesn't "rock" because Metallica rocks harder. I mean, come on, it's comparing heavy metal to Macca's music. You just can't make certain comparisons. Driving Rain ROCKS and will continue to rock until (God forbid) I go deaf.
October 8th, 2005....The BEST show EVER!!!!
Ram1

Postby Cologne girl » Sat Apr 17, 2004 7:24 pm

Just one question: as English is not my mother (or father) tongue, I don't quite know the meaning of the word "rock". From what I had read so far, I thought in modern English it was just the opposite of "suck", i.e. when a song or an album ROCKS, it is just great music, not necessarily hard rock as a style. Is that correct?

In which case, "Driving Rain", for me, definitely ROCKS...
It's the start of a journey
To a much better place
And this wasn't bad
So a much better place
Would have to be special...
Cologne girl
Supporter
Supporter

Postby kylestyle » Sat Apr 17, 2004 8:35 pm

Sigh, Ram1, fine, you are entitled to your opinion. I'm not going to argue with it. If DR rocks for you, then good. I'm done talking about DR.
kylestyle

PreviousNext

Return to RINGO