Drums on Hello Goodbye

Discussions related to Ringo Starr as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Ram1 » Sun Apr 18, 2004 3:25 pm

Maestri09 wrote:Also, Paul McCartney has not been a legitimate "rocker", for all intents and purposes, since 1965.

BLAH. I believe BTTE DOES qualify. And so does Driving Rain. A *legitimate* rocker? Come on, man. These so-called *legitimate* "rockers" wouldn't be playing their rock today if it weren't for one Paul McCartney. Raindrops and About You, for example, blow away anything he did pre-1965. WAD.
October 8th, 2005....The BEST show EVER!!!!
Ram1

Postby kylestyle » Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:22 pm

I do agree with that! Raindrops and About You.

I think Maestri09 means Macca has never done (with the exception of Run Devil Run, a very 'old-school' album) a high-octane hard-rockin album from start-to-finish. I think every McCartney album has some "rock" tracks on it, he kinda does a little bit of everything. Yet, his influence on modern rock musicians is profound.

I think, the only other bassist around today who has any other kind of influence on other players would be someone like Flea. But it is interesting, you ask any rock bass player who their all-time fave is, and if they don't answer Flea or Les Claypool from Primus, it will be Macca. I think that easily legitimises him as an influential rock musician.

And remember, nobody truly took notice of Macca's bass-playing talents until 1966 when they mixed the bass in Paperback Writer and Rain nicely up to the forefront of the recording. From that point on, everybody sure stood up and took notice.

If you look at it from the other side of the coin, not many full-on "rock" bands ever have rock-from-start-to-finish either. Even the most hard-edged rockers have to have a pussy-ass ballad or something acoustic on it. I had a conversation with a friend about this once, that it is hard to think of an album that is rockin from a-z without missing a beat. The only recent example we could think of is 'The Sickness' by Disturbed.
I needed comfort of love just to get me some piece of mind.. wo-oh
kylestyle
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby Cologne girl » Mon Apr 19, 2004 6:47 pm

Ram1 wrote:BLAH. I believe BTTE DOES qualify.

So do I - definitely. I personally even like lots of his "rockers" better than lots of his ballads; I think he has been rather underrated as a "rocker".
It's the start of a journey
To a much better place
And this wasn't bad
So a much better place
Would have to be special...
Cologne girl
Supporter
Supporter

Previous

Return to RINGO