Alan Clayson's bio on Ringo

Discussions related to Ringo Starr as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Alan Clayson's bio on Ringo

Postby theDingle » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:15 pm

He titled it (seemingly backhanded) Ringo Starr: Straight Man or Joker?. The title belies that it is a pretty decent work, objective and thoroughly researched. It would seem Ringo isn't into authorizing much beyond the Anthology book, but he did OK Clayson's effort, he just didn't want to be interviewed. Anyone else read this?

I was thrilled to discover it at a used bookstore yesterday, still reading and enjoying it. Mine must be a mid-90s later edition, 'cause on Amazon.com there appears to be another/updated one also by Clayson simply titled Ringo. Clayson has an unusual writing style. He could do with shorter sentences, there were times I had to go back and read the long ones over. Sometimes you never know quite where he's taking you in a sentence either, lol. In spite of that, there being such an absence of detailed Ringo bios, I'm glad to have it.

So far I've picked out about 6 or 7 very interesting bits of info I never knew, things that give some timetable context. I'll compile 'em and share when done.

One thing the book reminded me of that I'd totally forgotten: Does anyone here remember thinking that Ringo sang lead vocal on Lady Madonna when it was first released (or you first heard it)?

I was like 14 years old, but until I read about it in Time Magazine that it was Paul doing a Fats Domino homage, I thought it was Ringo rocking out with a great vocal! From the bio, apparently so did a good many other listeners. :shock: :?
not shmingking of gin
theDingle
Gold member :)

Postby theDingle » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:44 pm

Just a short one:

When the Beats first hit it big, the media made much nonsense over the size of Ringo's nose. His response was--

"I've come to terms with my nose...whenever such remarks are made, it goes in one nostril and out the other!"

CHEE-YOKE!! :lol:
not shmingking of gin
theDingle

Return to RINGO