Ringo compared to Charlie Watts

Discussions related to Ringo Starr as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Ridge_top_farm_WV » Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:24 pm

I thinking of some old recordings of the Stones with Wymann numbers and Keith years back...when I have time I will tell you what songs I am referring to about.

Do you recall the song " Happy" which I am referring to.
Ridge_top_farm_WV

Postby Berkeleyan » Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:31 pm

I recall Keith's singing and the chorus (with the horns blowing in the background). It's a track from the Stones' double album "Exile on Main Street", I believe. Great album !!
The Love You Take is Equal to the Love You Make
Berkeleyan
Gold member :)

Postby Bluebird » Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:18 pm

Berkeleyan wrote:I recall Keith's singing and the chorus (with the horns blowing in the background). It's a track from the Stones' double album "Exile on Main Street", I believe. Great album !!
I´m 100 % agree in that opinion, I actually think it´s their best. :)
You must appreciate the day...
Bluebird
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Ridge_top_farm_WV » Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:49 pm

Hearing Keith sing that song I wish he would have sang more,nothing against Mick but it was nice to hear someone else in the band sing.The same can be said for the Who,I enjoyed hearing Townshend and Entwistle sing as well.
Ridge_top_farm_WV

Postby Bluebird » Sat Aug 21, 2004 7:37 am

Ridge_top_farm_WV wrote:Hearing Keith sing that song I wish he would have sang more,nothing against Mick but it was nice to hear someone else in the band sing.The same can be said for the Who,I enjoyed hearing Townshend and Entwistle sing as well.
I prefer Deffently Micks voive instead of Keiths Whisky-voice :mrgreen:
Bluebird
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Berkeleyan » Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:54 am

Ridge_top_farm_WV wrote:Hearing Keith sing that song I wish he would have sang more,nothing against Mick but it was nice to hear someone else in the band sing.The same can be said for the Who,I enjoyed hearing Townshend and Entwistle sing as well.

Yeah I kind of have a "soft ear" for the songs w/ Keith's vocals".
I mean I enjoy his "singing" even if it's very limited to say the least.
As for The Who - yeah, I like Pete's and John's vocals too. Pete's are very expressive, seems like he's always singing from his heart. Roger's vocals are technically the best in the group, but sometimes I think he exaggerates his dose of vocal "bravado".
Berkeleyan

Postby EddieV » Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:47 am

Comparing Charlie Watts with Ringo is too hard. Ringo fitted in the Beatles and Charlie Watts is a great drummer for The Rolling Stones. I have heard that Charlie also plays a bit of jazz. But as a rock drummer you can´t compare thes two.
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Bluebird » Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:05 am

Both were two different drummers. I think "She said She said", "the end" and "Come together" show us that Ringo wasn´t that bad drummer. He created his own image as many other drummers stole. His marvellous way to sort of dance while he´s drumming is so remarkable and was innovative for this time. The standard of drumming-skills was not so high in the beginning of the 60´s. Ringo did what he should and was sometimes a bit below average and sometimes above. Charlie was a great drummer as well. Just in another way than Ringo. Charlie was a bit more technically though, but "live" he wasn´t that interresting. I saw The Stones in 2003. Charlie was just sitting on his chair during the whole show and wouldn´t even stand up when the audience was clapping. I do more like Ringo, he was always a funny guy with a joke ready and when you see him in ed-sullivan you don´t get wrong. He was neccesary for the karisma of the group. Without those comparisons Beatles has succes enough to let Ringo sing ( Stones never had that). It shows how symphatic the beatles was. It´s very obviopusly that both Charlie and Ringo wasn´t eagles regarding to songwriting, but they were there and did the drumming. What more can we ask for?
Bluebird
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Berkeleyan » Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:21 am

I think that, at their prime, Ringo would be able to execute what Charlie did on drums for the Stones, but not the other way around ! 8)
Berkeleyan

Previous

Return to RINGO