Ringo compared to Charlie Watts

Discussions related to Ringo Starr as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Ringo compared to Charlie Watts

Postby Bluebird » Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:27 pm

Even Ringo wasn´t the best drummer in the world I think he has a bigger image for Beatles that Charlie has for Stones. Beatles Let also Ringo sings a good numbers of song and they we´re still popular, Charlie did never sings for stones because it will shocks all their fans to burn their records. :D
You must appreciate the day...
Bluebird
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby dsnito » Sun Apr 25, 2004 9:28 am

Even being a Stone´s member having bandmates such Jagger and Richards, Charilie is one of the most discreet and shy artist I´ve ever seen on rock´n´roll scene. He´s a great drummer and has his own style, actually he gets into jazzist style manytimes having his own jazz band, you know...
Life Is Very Short And There's No Time For Fussing And Fighting, My Friend...
Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Bluebird » Sun Apr 25, 2004 9:31 am

dsnito wrote:Even being a Stone´s member having bandmates such Jagger and Richards, Charilie is one of the most discreet and shy artist I´ve ever seen on rock´n´roll scene. He´s a great drummer and has his own style, actually he gets into jazzist style manytimes having his own jazz band, you know...
Yes, he´s really shy, I saw stones last year on their forty licks tour. Charlie watts was so shy and was don´t care with the applause from audience. :oops:
You must appreciate the day...
Bluebird
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby esto » Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:20 pm

Bluebird wrote:
dsnito wrote:Even being a Stone´s member having bandmates such Jagger and Richards, Charilie is one of the most discreet and shy artist I´ve ever seen on rock´n´roll scene. He´s a great drummer and has his own style, actually he gets into jazzist style manytimes having his own jazz band, you know...
Yes, he´s really shy, I saw stones last year on their forty licks tour. Charlie watts was so shy and was don´t care with the applause from audience. :oops:

I saw Stones twice during Voodo Lounge tour, Helsinki and Prague and Charlie had loudest and longest applauds. Comparing to Ringo they are pretty much equal, CW is maybe more jazzy and RS is more rocky.
esto
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby kylestyle » Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:51 pm

Comparing them.....hmmmm....Charlie has the personality that almost doesn't befit being in a rock band....he almost looks out of place with the whole picture. Both Ringo and Charlie have the same "no frills" approach to laying down a beat, I wonder if both The Beatles and the Stones would have been as successful if they had a Ginger Baker or a Keith Moon or a John Bonham in their band instead. Maybe a key ingredient for a steady flow of hits in the pop charts is a consistent beat without flashiness.

I say this because listen to the current beats at the top of the pop charts. It's like someone just pressed the "go" button on a drum machine and left it running. All these r&b / soul hiphop people it's always this repetitive beat, unwavering, never surprising, but ever-dependable and always there in the background.

Yet once you become a Led Zeppelin or whatever, you can kiss your chance of having huge hit singles goodbye. I wonder if it has to do with intimidation and how the general public relates to a song. If the drumming / beat is less complicated, then it has a better chance if being accepted by the popular music-buying public. This may well be a key ingredient toward why both The Beatles and the Stones were so popular..putting aside the face they also wrote great great songs.
I needed comfort of love just to get me some piece of mind.. wo-oh
kylestyle
Gold member :)

Postby Berkeleyan » Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:44 am

Charlie Watts - his drumming was always taken above Ringo's.
I think one thing that has played a part on critics' opinion of his abilities was/is the fact that Charlie can drum jazz & other styles and has a jazz ensemble on the side; he's an "arty" fellow, not Ringo, the "regular one".
I disagree completely w/ them, I'd take Ringo over Charlie any time.
The Love You Take is Equal to the Love You Make
Berkeleyan

Postby dsnito » Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:04 am

Sometimes I thought that Charlie was way too blasé, an absent-minded and no interested guy but he was(is) the Stones heartbeat too...can´t imagine the Stones without Charlie as well as The Fabs without Richie...
Last edited by dsnito on Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Berkeleyan » Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:52 am

I know what you mean. BUT I think Charlie's blaseness, indiference (seen so many times in video clips) is just a PERSONA, a character he plays in opposition to Mick's outgoing & "naughty" persona, Keith's cool-looking (regardless of the soo-wasted nature of his look) and so on.

So Charlie was/is acting a part, in my opinion - as if he was in a movie - actually he was, on all those clips !
Berkeleyan

Postby dsnito » Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:32 am

So do you think that's just a character of him?? Charlie's not really a quiet and indifferent person as he looks like?? I think Ringo is authentic in all his acts...Ringo "acts naturally"... :wink: :lol:
Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Berkeleyan » Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:29 am

Well let's put it this way: Charlie seems to be kind of a shy, quiet individual with wide tastes in music, but when he is being filmed (for a video clip of the Stones, for instance), he tends to show what he actually is but in such a theatrical way - exaggerating his manneirisms (facial ones) to show himself as some kind of cynical, critical guy (note the cynical faces he makes while on video, like he's saying - hey you Mick, you're blowing all this out of porportion, and stuff like that!)

P.S. Congratulations are in order, SIR, for your 4000th post !!!!
Berkeleyan

Next

Return to RINGO