Whatever happened to Vinnie ?

Discussions related to Ringo Starr as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Whatever happened to Vinnie ?

Postby Berkeleyan » Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:33 pm

Anyone remember Vinnie Poncia ? This guy seemed to be one of Ringo´s best friends and was always heavily involved in album tracks, production, etc. during most of the seventies. Around ´78 he simply disappeared - out of Ringo´s life for ever since.
What happened to their friendship for it to go sour ? Does Anyone know ?
Berkeleyan
Gold member :)

Postby Steve-o » Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:16 pm

I think the NY Jets just cut him. [;)]
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby theDingle » Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:12 pm

quote:Originally posted by Berkeleyan
Anyone remember Vinnie Poncia ? This guy seemed to be one of Ringo´s best friends and was always heavily involved in album tracks, production, etc. during most of the seventies. Around ´78 he simply disappeared - out of Ringo´s life for ever since.
I always thought he was a lightweight composer, but I suppose he did alright by Rings. He also wrote with KISS, even wrote one for Elvis (for his hideous Harum Scarum flick). He got a Grammy with Leo Sayer for You Make Me Feel Like Dancing--like I said, he's a bit of a lightweight (although jazz axeman Lee Ritenour did a decent version of that one).

I've observed that co-writing is generally a temporary arrangement, and it's probably a good idea, except in the case of our beloved Lennon-McCartney. Berks, have you ever read that their friendship went sour? Seems to me that there is a dearth of Ringo info/auto/biographies. I wunnerwhy. [?]
theDingle

Postby Berkeleyan » Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:46 am

theDingle wrote:quote:Originally posted by Berkeleyan
I always thought he was a lightweight composer, but I suppose he did alright by Rings. He also wrote with KISS, even wrote one for Elvis (for his hideous Harum Scarum flick). He got a Grammy with Leo Sayer for You Make Me Feel Like Dancing--like I said, he's a bit of a lightweight (although jazz axeman Lee Ritenour did a decent version of that one).

I've observed that co-writing is generally a temporary arrangement, and it's probably a good idea, except in the case of our beloved Lennon-McCartney. Berks, have you ever read that their friendship went sour? Seems to me that there is a dearth of Ringo info/auto/biographies. I wunnerwhy. [?]

Hi Dingle,
I must have read on some paper that Ringo and Vinnie were not on spoken terns anymore. Unfortunately it was many yrs ago and I don't recall. Speaking on Ringo bios, I believe there is a good one by a guy named Clayton, from early 90's. So it's not recent, but a friend I lost track of long ago did tell me said it's well written and researched.

I gotta do some research on that....'cause Vinnie Poncia was so close to Ringo once that a photo spread showing just our beloved & Vinnie is enclosed in "Ringo's Rotogravure".....
The Love You Take is Equal to the Love You Make
Berkeleyan

Return to RINGO