Ringorama

Discussions related to Ringo Starr as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Ringorama

Postby maccastheman » Tue Mar 25, 2003 11:04 am

Today is the release date for the new album in America. I'm going to pick it up on my lunch break. I'm anxious to hear that song he wrote for George.
I was listening to Storytellers last night before I went to bed. Ringo just seems like a cool guy. He's the type guy I would want to hang out with and drink a few beers with. (Of course I would like to do the same thing with Macca!)

I really liked a lot of the songs on Verticle Man. I'm hoping this one is just as good.
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby maccastheman » Tue Mar 25, 2003 4:28 pm

Well, I've listened to the album once now. This is another solid effort from Ringo - along the same lines as Time Takes Time and Verticle Man. This album seems to be a lot more Nostalgic than Verticle Man. There's a lot of Beatle/1970s references on this album.
"Never Without You," the song he wrote for George, features a great guitar solo by Eric Clapton. The clear Beatle reference in this song is "Within You Without You." There's even a recurring "Within You Without You" refrain. Very sweet song.
I LOVE the Willie Nelson duet, "Write One for Me." They sound great together.
"Eye to Eye" quotes "It Don't Come Easy" much the same way that "Don't Go Where the Road Don't Go" on Time Takes Time did.
"Missouri Loves Company" and "Memphis in Your Mind" both have Elvis/Graceland references in them. They are both super Americana-themed songs. (A recurring theme in Ringo's work)
"Instant Amnesia" is a rock-out jam song, sort of like "Rinse the Raindrops."
I also like "Elizabeth Reigns." It has a real psychadelic feel to it. It also features Van Dyke Parks on accordian. (No wonder it sounds so psychadelic, LOL!)
"English Garden" features the lyrics from - get this - "Let 'em In!" (At the very end he starts singing "Someone's knockin' at the door...") It's a very pretty song with references to Barbara in it.
Another Macca-ism seems to be the "hidden" track "I Really Love Her." It's kind of like one of those ditties that Macca likes to tag on to the end of some of his albums.

All in all, I have to say this is a good album. I can see it growing on me. Ringo's voice just sounds so comforting for some reason. It almost sounds like your grandfather talking to you.
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Maxwell » Wed Mar 26, 2003 5:07 pm

I own every Beatles Solo album including all of Ringo's. I think Ringo Rama is pretty decent. Half the tracks are superior to the rest. It's a mixed bag in terms of quality. I think there is a big tendancy for fans to over-rate the quality of the solo work. Beatlefan magazine gushed about Times Takes Time and Vertical Man...but, they are not comparable to his best work, The "Ringo" LP (1973). I'm not big on the production work, particularly some of the heavier numbers. Too over produced and the tunes often sound rehashed from others you've heard. Also, how many times is Ringo going to quote from "It don't come easy"? He also did so on "Stop and Smell the Roses".
Maxwell

Postby maccastheman » Wed Mar 26, 2003 5:21 pm

No question that "Ringo" is his best album. I just think he's released some pretty solid ones here lately, too. (As opposed to Ringo the 4th, etc.)
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Maxwell » Thu Mar 27, 2003 3:58 pm

Okay, after listening to Ringo Rama a few times now I have some more definate conclusions. I think the standouts are "Missouri Loves Company", "Never Without You", "Imagine Me There", "Write One For Me", "English Garden" and "I Really Love Her". I think all of these are perhaps some of the best songs Ringo has released in maybe decades. I wish "Never Without You" had the punch of other tribute songs like "All those years ago" and "Here Today", but its still sweet. "I Really Love Her" has the kind of Ringo magic that shows off a bit of what he learned as a Beatle. Listen to his vocal on it. It's raw and perfect....so is the instrumentation that he provided all by himself. I wish Mark Hudson would loosen up and help nuture this side of Ringo. Instead Mark Hudson is more interested in recreating a Beatles experiance...but, less is more, folks! Paul has this problem too. Imagine a whole record of songs like "Great Day" on Flaming Pie. What critic wouldn't rave about that?

I think "What Love Wants To Be" is just a retread of Lennon's "Grow Old With Me". For my money, there are too many other goofy "Oh, My MY" type of songs on this record. Still, its nice to see and hear Ringo again. What does everyone else think?
Maxwell

Postby maccastheman » Thu Mar 27, 2003 4:09 pm

quote:Originally posted by Maxwell
Okay, after listening to Ringo Rama a few times now I have some more definate conclusions. I think the standouts are "Missouri Loves Company", "Never Without You", "Imagine Me There", "Write One For Me", "English Garden" and "I Really Love Her". I think all of these are perhaps some of the best songs Ringo has released in maybe decades. I wish "Never Without You" had the punch of other tribute songs like "All those years ago" and "Here Today", but its still sweet. "I Really Love Her" has the kind of Ringo magic that shows off a bit of what he learned as a Beatle. Listen to his vocal on it. It's raw and perfect....so is the instrumentation that he provided all by himself. I wish Mark Hudson would loosen up and help nuture this side of Ringo. Instead Mark Hudson is more interested in recreating a Beatles experiance...but, less is more, folks! Paul has this problem too. Imagine a whole record of songs like "Great Day" on Flaming Pie. What critic wouldn't rave about that?

I think "What Love Wants To Be" is just a retread of Lennon's "Grow Old With Me". For my money, there are too many other goofy "Oh, My MY" type of songs on this record. Still, its nice to see and hear Ringo again. What does everyone else think?

You pretty much nailed it.
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Steve-o » Sat May 10, 2003 7:23 pm

I finally got it...it's got a few nice moments, but it's just OK for me. Too many beatle-wanna-be hooks which fall flat. 3 or 4 decent songs. "Ringo" from 1973 is still his best by far, IMO.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby sleepyhollowgirl » Sun May 11, 2003 5:33 pm

I didn't know he had a new album.
sleepyhollowgirl
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby dsnito » Sun May 18, 2003 5:52 am

I´d like to get this album but it still doesn´t released here.
Yeah Steve, "RINGO" still IS his best album indeed, that was a kinda Beatle-magic in mid-70s...all of his rest albums are on average, just reasonable and even mediocre sometimes...but he´s just our RINGO, ever that sincere guy on what he does...

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Helter Skelter » Wed May 28, 2003 9:44 am

After listening through the album twice I have to say that is some of Ringos best work,, Better than Vertical man which I never really liked apart from a couple of songs.. I like this album because there seems to be a bit more adventurous on a few tracks..

Imagine me there and Write one for me is two of my favourites right now..

But I have to give the album and Ringo some negative comments though.. First, I wish he would stop these endless Beatleslyric and sololyrics references... "it don´t come easy" , "tomorror never knows" "Here comes the sun" and so on.. He has been doing this (as far as I know) since Time takes time and I´t gets boring after a while..

It´s a pity too that every producer and songwriter that Ringo´s been working with for the last 15 years wants his albums to sound like The Beatles meets The Rutles (which is a bit sad).
His 70´s & 80´s albums doesn´t sound like the Beatles .. well maybe the odd track here and there does but.,.
There are too many "Beatles wannabe" songs on his last couple of albums.. And some of the tracks are way overproduced...

Anyone agrees?
Listening right now to "Husbands & wifes".. now thats a nicely arranged song..[:p]
Helter Skelter
Bronze member
Bronze member

Next

Return to RINGO