2003 All-Starr Band

Discussions related to Ringo Starr as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

2003 All-Starr Band

Postby maccastheman » Wed Mar 19, 2003 1:05 pm

I really like Paul Carrack. He's got quite a voice. I loved his short stint with Squeeze. Sheila E is great as well. John Waite is tolerable. I'm not so sure about the lead singer of Men at Work, LOL! I guess "Down Under" will be fun to hear live.

Anyway, Paul Carrack makes the band for me. (Other than Ringo, of course!!!) Squeeze are great without him, but, even though he wrote the song, Glenn Tilbrook can't sing "Tempted" quite the same way Carrack can. "How Long" by Ace is another one I'll be happy to hear Carrack sing. Although I'm not a huge Genesis/Mike + the Mechanics fan, "The Living Years" is a good song IMHO.
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

2003 All-Starr Band

Postby maccastheman » Wed Mar 19, 2003 1:05 pm

I really like Paul Carrack. He's got quite a voice. I loved his short stint with Squeeze. Sheila E is great as well. John Waite is tolerable. I'm not so sure about the lead singer of Men at Work, LOL! I guess "Down Under" will be fun to hear live.

Anyway, Paul Carrack makes the band for me. (Other than Ringo, of course!!!) Squeeze are great without him, but, even though he wrote the song, Glenn Tilbrook can't sing "Tempted" quite the same way Carrack can. "How Long" by Ace is another one I'll be happy to hear Carrack sing. Although I'm not a huge Genesis/Mike + the Mechanics fan, "The Living Years" is a good song IMHO.
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby theDingle » Wed Mar 19, 2003 7:09 pm

Yo mtm, I have been a Carrack fan for ages. I have just about all his solo stuff, and the main reason I have all the Mike & the Mechanics stuff is for his vocals. What soul, whatta singer, criminally underrated!

I'm also a Nick Lowe freak, and Paul has played with/and covered some of his tunes. Lowe was in a early 70s band (Brinsley Schwartz) that toured with WINGS on one of their first European tours.

It is definitely a bonus that Carrack is touring with Ringo, I hope I can scare up some tickets.
theDingle
Gold member :)

Postby maccastheman » Wed Mar 19, 2003 10:30 pm

Believe it or not, I've actually met Nick Lowe! He's the coolest guy on earth. (other than Macca, of course!!!) He used to be married to Carlene Carter, who is an in-law of Johnny Cash. Johnny's a fellow Arky. Nick Lowe wrote the song "The Beast In Me" which was on Johnny's comeback album "American Recordings."
I got to hang out back stage after one of Lowe's shows in Dallas. I told him I drove down from Arkansas just to see him. I'm sure he thought I was crazy! I also told him that Oasis and Blur had nothing on him, Squeeze, and Elvis Costello. He got a kick out of that! He's very modest, and just an all-around cool guy. [8D] He's also one hell of a bass player. That's one night I will never forget.
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby theDingle » Thu Mar 20, 2003 4:53 pm

mtm, you lucky dog [:0]. I know Ringo likes Lowe---a few years ago Rings did an online chat, and someone asked him what he was listening to lately, and he replied that it was Nick Lowe's Dig My Mood.

When I lived in Little Rock, just south of Baseline Road, I was just around the corner from BJs Honky Tonk. One night (in '85) Gene Clark+Michael Clarke of The Byrds and Rick Danko+Richard Manuel from The Band did a an evening tribute to Dylan. Not that many people showed up (it was a spur of the moment deal). They took their break out with us customers at the tables, so I got to talk with them and got their autograph. Too bad all these guys have now passed on. They were a class act on and off stage.

That's my night I'll never forget. It was a trip!
theDingle

Postby maccastheman » Thu Mar 20, 2003 5:23 pm

OMG - You got to hang out with Richard Manuel! (Not to mention Clark, Clarke, and Danko!) I just think Manuel had one of the sweetest voices in all of rock and roll. His version of "I Shall Be Released" sends chills up and down my spine. Absolutly beautiful. I'm surprised Levon Helm wasn't there. (Another Arky! [;)])
Manuel's story was so sad. Couldn't handle the drugs.
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby maccastheman » Thu Mar 20, 2003 5:26 pm

Also - Dig My Mood is the album Lowe was touring behind when I met him. Love that album. Ringo has always had an admiration for folk/blues/country music.
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby theDingle » Thu Mar 20, 2003 11:16 pm

Manuel came across as a gentle guy, just like he sings. I told him I dug his vocal on All a Glory, and he responded with such genuine expression that it surprised me. It would have been over the top if Levon had been there, too, I like to hear him sing anything.

Haven't both Danko and Levon toured with Ringo, or just Danko? Danko was a great vocalist, too. The 3 of them singing together knocked me out everytime.
theDingle

Postby maccastheman » Thu Mar 20, 2003 11:50 pm

I think Levon was in the very first All-Starr band. I've never seen him live. I would like to, however. I think he's lost his voice to throat cancer, however. He's still a fine, fine drummer.
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Return to RINGO