Liverpool 8 is the modern day Goodnight Vienna to Vertical M

Discussions related to Ringo Starr as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Re: Liverpool 8 is the modern day Goodnight Vienna to Vertical M

Postby linclink » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:59 pm

bonovox66 wrote:I have to disagree with the sentiment that the recent All-Start tours have been lackluster. I was just as skeptical when he started touring with a bunch of 80s has been but with the exception of Richard Marx, all have impressed me.
When he toured w/ Sheila E, I was very hesitant but she got two standing ovations and on at least one show the crowd cheered her drum solo more than they cheered any Ringo Number.
Colin Hay of Men at Work was another that made me go "oh-gosh, I'm not sure I'm gonna go this time around" but I was very happy I did. He has such an amazing voice and I was introduced to some of his later solo gems.
Hamish Stewart, though not much to talk about on his first All Star tour, definitely brought it on his second go around.
And last but not least..... let us not forget the amazing Edgar Winter! need I say more.
Sure the new tours have been lacking some of the giants, and it would be nice to see him tour with some more of the great artists of the 60s and 70s, but lets face it most of them aren't worth paying to see anymore. Very few are able to perform at a fraction of the level they used to.
The last Ringo concert I saw was in July of last year and I can saw without a doubt that of every concert I have seen (well over a hundred by now) this was the single greatest performance by any artist. Ringo is a master when it comes to his stage presence. Its hard to explain, even the recent Summer Live tour, though more fun and an excellent performance, still did not live up to Ringo's excellent performance. Now I'm not really talking about the rest of the All Stars at this point, only Ringo. Its hard to put in words what Ringo has, I guess you should see it for yourself. Here's hoping he still has a couple more tours in him, and lets not hold our breath but maybe one will be a Ringo only tour.

Very cool response!! I have to admit I'm going but what I have heard & seen & those are NOT in person. I AGREE TOTALLY that Ringo himself is really charismatic & does a great job on his material...and no arguments about Shelia E. either. And to be fair there have been a few better performers (Rod Argent, Paul Carrack, Edgar Winter) on these last three tours...but...or should I say BUT...it is still a very far ways away from those earlier 7 incarnations, let alone the glory of the first two. Not having actually seen them I can only comment second hand & I'm thrilled to hear about your report about how great Ringo was!!
Om Namah Shivaya !!!!
linclink
Silver member
Silver member

Location: Canandaigua, New York, USA, Earth, Cosmos of Light & Love

Postby bonovox66 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:16 pm

I completely agree that the recent tours are nothing like the first few incarnations and don't hold up as much but they are deserving on their own accord. And if you have never seen Ringo.. DO IT! Even if the rest of the performers are lacking, he never disappoints.
And before anyone says anything about me saying it was a better performance than Paul's maybe better is not the right word. Just different. Due to the smaller venues Ringo is able to interact and talk more with the audience. And I have noticed that he genuinely seems to remember the places he plays regularly and even some of the audience members that go to multiple shows. This just gives it a more personal feel that you don't get at most concerts. The only people that come close to this are Springsteen and U2 (at least their early tours and Elevation tour). This isn't saying anything bad about Paul's performance, but his stature doesn't allow for these small intimate shows.
bonovox66
Supporter
Supporter

Postby linclink » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:46 pm

bonovox66 wrote:I completely agree that the recent tours are nothing like the first few incarnations and don't hold up as much but they are deserving on their own accord. And if you have never seen Ringo.. DO IT! Even if the rest of the performers are lacking, he never disappoints.
And before anyone says anything about me saying it was a better performance than Paul's maybe better is not the right word. Just different. Due to the smaller venues Ringo is able to interact and talk more with the audience. And I have noticed that he genuinely seems to remember the places he plays regularly and even some of the audience members that go to multiple shows. This just gives it a more personal feel that you don't get at most concerts. The only people that come close to this are Springsteen and U2 (at least their early tours and Elevation tour). This isn't saying anything bad about Paul's performance, but his stature doesn't allow for these small intimate shows.

I actually know what you're saying. Look Paul is Paul & the show that I saw this Summer at Fenway Park was probably as great a show as I've ever seen, or will ever see, but...when I saw Paul in '89 in Toronto, I was miles away & didn't enjoy that band, or the show, anywhere near as much as this Summer's show. I saw Ringo that same year with the first All-Starrs Band line up & it was a total blast the whole time & Ringo himself was just fantastic. I had a better time at that first Ringo & The All-Starrs tour show than at the '89 Macca show, & it both saddened & happily surprised me.
Om Namah Shivaya !!!!
linclink
Silver member
Silver member

Postby markfeber@yahoo.com » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:00 pm

a ringo only tour? now that i would like to attend! he never seems to come to indiana though. we have a great place near indy, the former deer creek music center but he has never been there to my knowledge. i really regret never seeing him. i would love to hear him do good night. he did sing that in the white album didnt he? from what i have read nobody seems to like that song but i always did. :ymapplause:
markfeber@yahoo.com
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby linclink » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:34 pm

markfeber@yahoo.com wrote:a ringo only tour? now that i would like to attend! he never seems to come to indiana though. we have a great place near indy, the former deer creek music center but he has never been there to my knowledge. i really regret never seeing him. i would love to hear him do good night. he did sing that in the white album didnt he? from what i have read nobody seems to like that song but i always did. :ymapplause:

Mark: I, for one, am crazy about "Goodnight"!! I think it's an absolute highlight of The White Album, and I think it would be the perfect show closer for Ringo. I wish he thought so too.
I think it's one of Lennon's most gorgeous numbers. "Julia" is probably my fave track on that album, but "Goodnight" comes close to being that touching & I think it was a great choice to have Ringo sing it actually- though I'd die to ever hear the lost (probably forever sadly) Lennon demo of that track. Ringo's vocal performance on that song is really a peak for him. When he does the "Goodnight everyone everywhere" bit at the end in that whisper it is the most amazing closing to the most amazing album I could ever dream of. Just perfect.
Om Namah Shivaya !!!!
linclink
Silver member
Silver member

Postby markfeber@yahoo.com » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:51 pm

glad i am not the only one who loves it too. my fave track? hard to say but i love happiness is a warm gun and cry baby cry. somebody recently asked me if i could only hear one album before i die and i said the white album. dont really know why? cause i always thought pepper or one of the others was my fave but they are all so good. nice little band eh? :-BD
markfeber@yahoo.com
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby bonovox66 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:06 am

The two of you are not alone. Good Night has long been my fave track after Rocky Raccoon. As for the one album to hear before I die, I've always said Abbey Road. 'Because' pretty much sums it up. I've always said I wanted someone to play that one for me when I die.
bonovox66
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mark Rink » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:08 pm

In my humble opion Ringo's solo career is very under rated I think I'ts wonderful :ymparty: I have all his cd's but I don't have all of Lennon's so that tells you what I think about it PEACE AND LOVE :X
Mark Rink
Silver member
Silver member

Postby jjs » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:35 pm

markfeber@yahoo.com wrote:ya know linc i have never seen a ringo concert. is it really worth it? i have always loved the guy and only recently began getting into his music again. i always liked his first album but kinda lost my desire to listen to him after that. i might like to see him live but dont know about wanting to hear the all stars. i have heard some concerts on wolfgangs vault but usually only listen to the ringo tunes. i imagine the crowds are enthusiastic.

I saw Ringo and had quite a fun time. It's nice to hear him sing his old songs and some new ones.
JJS

Wip, wop, wim and wham... indeed!
jjs
Bronze member
Bronze member

Previous

Return to RINGO