Does anyone else notice the "Isn't a Pity/Hey Jude" similari

Discussions related to George Harrison as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Does anyone else notice the "Isn't a Pity/Hey Jude" similari

Postby DeRick » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:27 am

on version 1 of Isn't a Pity, it took me years to notice but, its almost as if George was "jibing" "Hey Jude". Especialy that long play out thing at the end. you could barely hear it but there were some voices singing
"na nana nanananana nanananana, isn't a pity"
just something i noticed.
DeRick

Re: Does anyone else notice the "Isn't a Pity/Hey Jude" similari

Postby tristanjblythe » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:14 am

Yes I too have heard the na na na's. It thought it might be a homage or a regretful as the song could be dealing with the break up of the Beatles (esp his and Paul's friendship).

Either way its one of my favourites on the album.
tristanjblythe

Postby eggman1979 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:15 am

I noticed that untill I heard the Concert for George version of it.
We can make it to Mexico City...AGAIN!!!!!
eggman1979
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby gfgb123 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:51 pm

Although I didn't notice it when I first heard in 1970, it did raise an eyebrow as the time listed on the single was about the same as "Hey Jude". However it actually the Rolling Stone review of the album that pointed it out to me. And this was when you would get a free roach clip with a subscription. They also pointed out the similarities of "The Art of Dying" to the Stones' "Paint It, Black" which by the way is similar to "Dancing in the Street" by Martha and the Vadellas.

However there seems to be a back and forth between Harrison and McCartney. Harrison's "Grey Cloudly Lies" starts off with the same first three chords as "Let It Be" but in a different (2 1/2 steps lower). The opening bell chimes of "Let 'Em In" is the same melody (but also 2 1/2 steps lower) as Harrison's "Ding Dong, Ding Dong" even though that note sequence has been around for ages. Of course there is a bit of "Piggies" on McCartney's "Tiny Bubble".

While we are on similarity with songs between two Beatles. Has anyone noticed that Lennon's "Beef Jerky" uses the main riff almost note-for-note from McCartney's "Let Me Roll It"?
gfgb123

Postby Harrythebannister » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:59 pm

gfgb123 wrote:Although I didn't notice it when I first heard in 1970, it did raise an eyebrow as the time listed on the single was about the same as "Hey Jude". However it actually the Rolling Stone review of the album that pointed it out to me. And this was when you would get a free roach clip with a subscription. They also pointed out the similarities of "The Art of Dying" to the Stones' "Paint It, Black" which by the way is similar to "Dancing in the Street" by Martha and the Vadellas.

However there seems to be a back and forth between Harrison and McCartney. Harrison's "Grey Cloudly Lies" starts off with the same first three chords as "Let It Be" but in a different (2 1/2 steps lower). The opening bell chimes of "Let 'Em In" is the same melody (but also 2 1/2 steps lower) as Harrison's "Ding Dong, Ding Dong" even though that note sequence has been around for ages. Of course there is a bit of "Piggies" on McCartney's "Tiny Bubble".

While we are on similarity with songs between two Beatles. Has anyone noticed that Lennon's "Beef Jerky" uses the main riff almost note-for-note from McCartney's "Let Me Roll It"?

Wow...after that little lot I'm going to have to delve into the old record collection and forget the pub. :shock:
Man I could smell your breath a mile away.
Harrythebannister
Supporter
Supporter

Postby gfgb123 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:12 pm

[quote
Wow...after that little lot I'm going to have to delve into the old record collection and forget the pub. :shock:[/quote]

Bring the beer with you. :D
gfgb123

Re: Does anyone else notice the "Isn't a Pity/Hey Jude" simi

Postby mclarke825 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:21 pm

The main riff of Paul's "Coming Up" is very similar to John's "Cold Turkey" riff as well. I think they did that a lot.
"I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned." --Unknown
mclarke825

Postby EddieV » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:46 am

mclarke825 wrote:The main riff of Paul's "Coming Up" is very similar to John's "Cold Turkey" riff as well. I think they did that a lot.

Sorry I can´t hear that. But I can see the similaritites between Isn´t It Pity and Hey Jude
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby gfgb123 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:40 am

Go to about 5:59 into the song and you'll hear the 'choruses' singing the "la di da da's". That's where it is most evident. But scattered throughout the song, the lead guitar solos mimick bits and pieces of the ending refrain from "Hey Jude".
gfgb123

Postby Mike » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:54 am

gfgb123 wrote:While we are on similarity with songs between two Beatles. Has anyone noticed that Lennon's "Beef Jerky" uses the main riff almost note-for-note from McCartney's "Let Me Roll It"?

For sure, here are audio samples I just made of each:
Let Me Roll It

Podcast

Beef Jerky

Podcast

Here is what's on Wikipedia regarding:
wikipedia.org wrote:In addition to reestablishing a relationship with Julian, Lennon mended fences with the other Beatles during this period and Walls and Bridges is filled with musical nods to the group. In the opening track, Lennon sings "somebody please, please help me". On "Surprise Surprise", Lennon utilises the coda of "Drive My Car" substituting the "beep beep yeahs" with "sweet sweet love". In response to McCartney's Lennon-esque track, Let Me Roll It on the Band on the Run album, Lennon took the guitar riff note for note and incorporated it into "Beef Jerky".
Mike Kovacich
www.macca-central.com . . . . . . . . . . . . www.maccaradio.com
The Paul McCartney FUNSITE . . . . . . . . The Voice of The Beatles
Mike
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Next

Return to GEORGE