Brainwashed Limited Edition Box Set

Discussions related to George Harrison as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Aujouret » Tue Nov 19, 2002 5:10 am

Hey!
This is fabulous. I went to Tower Records on my way home from work= got there at Midnight and went to the cashier and said that I want the new George Harrison Box Set. They said it was in the computer and so they were digging around in the boxes looking for it. I got it!
This is lovely.[:D] A black box just like 2000 ATMP with the purple dark horse emblem. on the cover. Inside- the DVD in a cardboard sleeve and the the album in cardboard too!( I don't like jewel boxes)
There is a poster inside. The orange album cover on one side and a black and white full length photo of George standing in a huge pile of palm frons. Excellent photo that one; George looks wonderful - I'll be putting it up on the wall in the morning! A dark purple guitar pick with George's signiture in gold and the vedic symbol and a cross at thre end. This looks great right in the corner of my computer screen.[:)] With the album, there is a small booklet with all the lyrics-great- and a colour photo of George. I am guessing that these photos were taken in 1999, as Jeff said that was when they started working on the album and they seem very like photos I saw of George that year; before he was nearly murdered. The art work throughout is dark versions of the interesting album cover. There is also a purple dark horse sticker- or where shall I find a spot for that?!
Excellent package for an outstanding album. I loved the 2000 ATMP and this one is also so good. I was just thinking that George was clearly getting better and better and now, of course he is gone.
But- I highly recommend this Box Set and the album.
I paid $25.99 at Tower on sale. The box set lists at $31.99.
The regular Brainwashed is $11.99 on sale at Tower now. It lists for $18.99.
I must go and enjoy the DVD now.[:)]
Thank you, Jeff, Dhani and the two Jims and Olivia too.
I see Paul, Ringo and Barb get a thanks too in the album thank yous.
My Sweet George.[:)]
Aujouret
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Aujouret » Tue Nov 19, 2002 5:10 am

Hey!
This is fabulous. I went to Tower Records on my way home from work= got there at Midnight and went to the cashier and said that I want the new George Harrison Box Set. They said it was in the computer and so they were digging around in the boxes looking for it. I got it!
This is lovely.[:D] A black box just like 2000 ATMP with the purple dark horse emblem. on the cover. Inside- the DVD in a cardboard sleeve and the the album in cardboard too!( I don't like jewel boxes)
There is a poster inside. The orange album cover on one side and a black and white full length photo of George standing in a huge pile of palm frons. Excellent photo that one; George looks wonderful - I'll be putting it up on the wall in the morning! A dark purple guitar pick with George's signiture in gold and the vedic symbol and a cross at thre end. This looks great right in the corner of my computer screen.[:)] With the album, there is a small booklet with all the lyrics-great- and a colour photo of George. I am guessing that these photos were taken in 1999, as Jeff said that was when they started working on the album and they seem very like photos I saw of George that year; before he was nearly murdered. The art work throughout is dark versions of the interesting album cover. There is also a purple dark horse sticker- or where shall I find a spot for that?!
Excellent package for an outstanding album. I loved the 2000 ATMP and this one is also so good. I was just thinking that George was clearly getting better and better and now, of course he is gone.
But- I highly recommend this Box Set and the album.
I paid $25.99 at Tower on sale. The box set lists at $31.99.
The regular Brainwashed is $11.99 on sale at Tower now. It lists for $18.99.
I must go and enjoy the DVD now.[:)]
Thank you, Jeff, Dhani and the two Jims and Olivia too.
I see Paul, Ringo and Barb get a thanks too in the album thank yous.
My Sweet George.[:)]
Aujouret
Silver member
Silver member

Postby maccastheman » Tue Nov 19, 2002 11:12 am

Wow! I can't wait to get my copy. It's supposed to arrive today. I'll be disappointed if it doesn't get here.

How is the DVD? How long is it again? I bet it's very, very interesting. I'm glad they put so much care and consideration in the packaging.

Why did George have to leave us so soon? [V] At least he lives on in his music. [:)]
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Aujouret » Tue Nov 19, 2002 1:58 pm

Yes, maccas.
George lives in our hearts and memories too.
Hopefully George will get his wish and get off the wheel and not have to return in another life, but if he does, we'll be enjoying him again.
Aujouret
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Aujouret » Tue Nov 19, 2002 3:07 pm

Oh- sorry, maccas-The DVD runs 7:20.
I believe that this DVD has been shown on TV on one of those AM shows and Dhani was on. Sorry I didn't see it. But I heard about it. All the dialogue is as I remembered it.
I had a hard time watching it. It had been such a long time since I've seen George and seeing him smiling and playing guitar and "the uke" it was too much for me. Just surprizingly overwelmed me. George in his garden at Friar Park.
I saw all the photos from 2001. These are clearly earlier. George looks very healthy, so I am guessing that all of the film photoage is from 1999.
It is a short DVD, but any film of George is so rare.
I am so glad I got the box set. There is a lot in it and so worth the extra money.
Oh, I don't know if anyone out there is familiar with Hoagy Carmichael, but I hear him in several songs. I know Paul owns his catalogue. And it is so fun to hear George play the uke on Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea.
And I would also like to say that I was very skeptical of Jeff Lynne's input and production. I think he did a very good job here- I don't see any overproduction/ ELO stuff here. A big relief!
George comes through very clear and the album has a simple, clean sound to it. So, thanks Jeff[:)]
Aujouret
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Steve-o » Tue Nov 19, 2002 5:16 pm

He covered Hong Kong Blues on "Somewhere in England". I think that was a Hoagy tune wasn't it? Or maybe it was Baltimore Oriole (whihc was on the same album)....can't remember.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby maccastheman » Wed Nov 20, 2002 10:03 am

OMG! Brainwashed is INCREDIBLE!!! I think it's one of George's best albums ever. Clearly in the same league as ATMP and Cloud 9. After I got home from work yesterday, I was very pleased to know my copy made it. I thought I would put it on and just skim over the songs, but I couldn't stop playing it! His vocals sound great. Hard to believe he was so sick. "Any Road" is a great opening song. I love the DVD too. I like how he quotes Dylan in there. ("God knows when, but you're doing it again") Mick Jaggar said George quoted Dylan like people quote scripture.
The only bad part was that half way through I realized this was the last album. [V] It made me wish George had released more stuff between "Cloud 9" and "Brainwashed." I know he was gardening and doing what made him happy, however. Maybe more stuff will come out in a box set of unreleased material. I certainly hope so.[8D]
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ram1 » Wed Nov 20, 2002 10:06 am

Cool. Great review, MTM. I can't wait to buy the album. [:)]
Ram1

Postby maccastheman » Wed Nov 20, 2002 11:54 am

quote:Originally posted by Ram1
Cool. Great review, MTM. I can't wait to buy the album. [:)]

You'll love it! [:D] I think it's the perfect length, too. (47:47) There's no "filler." It's a great listen from beginning to end.
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Aujouret » Wed Nov 20, 2002 3:28 pm

You know, maccas- the album was mostly recorded in 1999, before George got really sick.
That's my understanding.
The photos are from earlier as well.
The photos we saw of George and Olivia in June of 2001 in Italy were of George when he was already very ill. Remember Paul was in Milan and went to visit George then when he was doing his book tour?
Yes, the album is so wonderful.
I just keep playing it over and over.
Then at work the songs are still ging round and round my head and I'm humming them to myself. I don't know the lyrics yet, so...
I really enjoy the vedic chant at the end of Brainwashed. That's really lovely. That is so George, just makes me smile.
It appears from what Dhani was saying that future material will be coming and I can only feel so grateful to him as he is obviously the man in charge of future releases. So, we can look forward to lots of George. I'm just thrilled with that news!
Aujouret
Silver member
Silver member

Next

Return to GEORGE